What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R3 Vs Titans

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
End of three rounds and we are 2 from 3.

Not too bad considering we were completely written off before the opening round.

I think they are starting out OK this year.

Its the second halfs that are hurting us though.

Ever since the JV kicked off we played our best footy in the first 40.

I think its bench management personally.

Honestly, I think we are two back rowers away from being a bit of a force if we can keep the young guys together and on the field. Our spine is great and our backs are wonderful. Adding even one decent back rower would kick us up a gear.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I didn't see the game I listened on MMM. The commentator made an interesting point about the 60th minute. Referring to the Tigers he said "when you are paying $600.000 for your halves it is about now in a game you want them to step up." Obviously that didn't happen but I did find it an interesting and salient point he made. He was specifically referring to the controlling of the game and how we basically lost control in the second half.

Another issue that concerns me is Moses is only kicking at 53%. Didn't matter last night but it will at some stage this year cost us. We need to turn 4 into 6 more often than not otherwise we stand to lose those close games.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Agree with the point about Moses and goal kicking. He is not the long term answer here, and it's only a matter of time until this costs us a game.

Can't really blame the halves though for the loss. The forwards didn't lay any platform.

Grant and Sue were very quiet, and there is zero impact from the bench...

Some changes are required particularly with the bench, but one thing I have learnt these last 16 years is regardless of whether the name of the coach is Sheens, Potter or Taylor, the only changes come through injury, not form...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't see the game I listened on MMM. The commentator made an interesting point about the 60th minute. Referring to the Tigers he said "when you are paying $600.000 for your halves it is about now in a game you want them to step up." Obviously that didn't happen but I did find it an interesting and salient point he made. He was specifically referring to the controlling of the game and how we basically lost control in the second half.

Another issue that concerns me is Moses is only kicking at 53%. Didn't matter last night but it will at some stage this year cost us. We need to turn 4 into 6 more often than not otherwise we stand to lose those close games.
If our forwards had any penetration, we'd be able to score tries in places other than the far corners.

That would help the goalkicker, no matter who it is, immensely

Tigerted

Juniors
Our goal kicking is obviously a huge liability.I just wish it was our only problem.

U'd be lucky to get $1.01 for the team to concede tries 5 mins b4 & after half time.

The entire team should be prescribed drugs for Attention deficit disorder.They can be 30 pts in front & with 15 mins to go & the odds r they will bundy off & concede 31 unanswered pts.That Canberra game @ Leichhardt last yr is my favourite example of snatching a loss from the jaws of victory a habit us WT's fans r constantly subjected to.

Our goal kicking is obviously a huge liability.I just wish it was our only problem.

U'd be lucky to get $1.01 for the team to concede tries 5 mins b4 & after half time.

The entire team should be prescribed drugs for Attention deficit disorder.They can be 30 pts in front & with 15 mins to go & the odds r they will bundy off & concede 31 unanswered pts.That Canberra game @ Leichhardt last yr is my favourite example of snatching a loss from the jaws of victory a habit us WT's fans r constantly subjected to.

I know we didn't lose this game but that one where we were up 31-0 and conceded 30 points in the last 15 mins against Parra a couple of years back was a stellar effort too.

Tigerted

Juniors
I was @ that match @ parra stadium charlatan.The senses were numbed as it deadset felt like we'd lost the match @ full time it was that diabolical the acute turnaround in the score line.We would hold the record in no. of matches where we've had such a massive form reversal in a short space of time within the one match.The only way to overcome it is a change in culture & to have @ the helm a hard headed ruthless disciplinarian as a coach like Bennett Bellamy or Hasler.We r still suffering a major hangover from the precious mollycoddling of the sheens era.

gordsy

Juniors
He may have been a top flight goal kicker in reserves but the only thing that matters is how he strikes them in first grade and so far he's been ordinary.

simmo1

First Grade
He's been a bit unlucky with the position of his kicks, but he doesn't strike the ball anywhere near as cleanly as the top goalkickers. He'll probably end up averaging low 70's which is going to hurt us if we continue leaking 4+ tries per game.

Brisbane and Melbourne were able to carry mediocre goalkickers for ages because they had great teams, and in particular a strong defence, so goalkicking never really became an issue. We don't have the same luxury.

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
to be fair to moses 90% of our tries have been scored within 1meter of the sideline

You are right with this Vic but most teams seem to be scoring in similar positions.

I am not putting the boot into him but 50 odd percent is going to have a flow on effect. Average kickers go about 70% and the best about 80%. We have scored the second most tries this year (I think) and it doesn't matter where they are, we need our score going up by 6, not 4. If games were close we would be in trouble.

If you score the same amount of tries as the opposition and don't kick a few goals you start chasing points and we (WT) particularly seem to panic and take too many risks and end up going to pieces. This is the pressure a goal kicker can take off the team.

Look, he will probably come good and prove me wrong (I hope so) but we need to kick goals because for and against will be critical again and if we can sneak into the 8 it may be critical.

If Josh Addo-Carr could kick goals I'd be happy!!!:D

The Rosco

Bench
You are right with this Vic but most teams seem to be scoring in similar positions.

I am not putting the boot into him but 50 odd percent is going to have a flow on effect. Average kickers go about 70% and the best about 80%. We have scored the second most tries this year (I think) and it doesn't matter where they are, we need our score going up by 6, not 4. If games were close we would be in trouble.

If you score the same amount of tries as the opposition and don't kick a few goals you start chasing points and we (WT) particularly seem to panic and take too many risks and end up going to pieces. This is the pressure a goal kicker can take off the team.

Look, he will probably come good and prove me wrong (I hope so) but we need to kick goals because for and against will be critical again and if we can sneak into the 8 it may be critical.

If Josh Addo-Carr could kick goals I'd be happy!!!:D

Right now . . . in a park just off Lyons Rd . . . you know that JT is giving Buchanan goal kicking lessons . . . .

JT was known to kick a goal or two so you would think he would be able to sort out any issue Moses may have with his kicking,being round 4 if he cant start banging them over then someone else should take over the duties,as sooner or later it's going to cost us a game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't really blame Moses. He was only ever a backup kicker.

Might be time to hand the duties to Farah, not that his average is any better.