What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R7 // Knights 6-32 Broncos @ Hunter // Good Fri 7.40pm

Round 7 result :: Knights vs Broncos

• Them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after golden point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
Was actually thinking the same thing. Put him in House's roll and leave Mamo on the wing. He can bust tackles better than a lot of 2nd rowers and has speed to possibly set up his outside men. We lose his kick returns and he's good at getting onto Mullo's wide kicks but I'm sure Mamo can learn to read Mullo and his kick returns could be just as good (in a scything way opposed to a running over the top way).

Only thing I can see a problem with is his defence. How is his 1 on 1 defence though? We know he makes some poor reads but if he has players inside and outside him telling him where to go he might do better.

I'm sure it won't happen though. But if I were Wayne I'd seriously think about it.

Not even a viable option IMO, the bloke is as dumb as they come in terms of football smarts, we can't even teach him how to defend on the wing, how the hell are we going to teach him an entirely new position? In terms of defence, his one on one contact in a tackle is cringe worthy and having to defend 3 or 4 in and read decoy runners and block plays, I'd fear his head might explode, also I'm not sure he has the aerobic capacity either.

Johns Magic

Referee
Not even a viable option IMO, the bloke is as dumb as they come in terms of football smarts, we can't even teach him how to defend on the wing, how the hell are we going to teach him an entirely new position? In terms of defence, his one on one contact in a tackle is cringe worthy and having to defend 3 or 4 in and read decoy runners and block plays, I'd fear his head might explode, also I'm not sure he has the aerobic capacity either.

You think wing defence is easy?

1qaz

Juniors
Centre and Wing two of the hardest positions to defend in.
Wing because of bombs/kicks, centre because of the extra space and decision making with the fullback coming into play.
I don't get the hate for Uate. He's not in the best form but he's still dangerous with ball.

Yosh

Coach
We had Vuna as an impact backrower a couple of games some years ago. Was pretty effective overall. House is shite, gotta fit Mamo on the team. Doesn't hurt to try... We're shite as it is lol

Tayjack

Juniors
Starting to think Gagai doesn't offer much with ball in-hand. I like that he puts his hand up for plenty of hituts, but he very rarely breaks a tackle or gets any momentum off them. Even when given decent early ball out wide, he hardly ever gets past his opposing centre, or looks to get his winger in open space.

I can see Sione overtaking him next year.

lmao????.a couple of poor performances, and you write this rubbish, gagai is seriously awesome.

Spot On

Coach
Our attack is very predictable and he is being marked very heavily. He's being given little space when he receives the ball.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Obviously but I don't think that's what Aqua meant by "teaching" him. You don't teach workload.

Its also technically different to the wing. Backrowers need to defend as part of a 2-3 man unit where the wing is more 1-1 or at least first contact.

In a sense Aqua is right, he would have to relearn a fair few defencive technicalities to move into the back row

Kurt and Wayne discussed with Keeble the fact that we were held up four times over the line. If you accept close enough is good enough then it is probably fair to say the lads got frustrated and tactically The Broncos absolutely nailed it 100%. The Broncs produced intense semi final like line speed in defence. I actually thought we challenged them well in the middle for the first half hour but dwindled in the end. Until we actually learn to take the sting out of the tail of a team's momentum we will not win many games. I am a big fan of completing a standard set in attack and then putting the ball into touch the set after you get points put on you, in order to regain your defensive structure. There is too much of this mentality where you try to get an immediate points hit back which just adds to errors, the momentum of the opposition gaining and the pressure becomes too much to hold out. The Storm have for years been adept at ignoring the clock and score board.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Pretty much justifies everyones thoughts there mate, the team is not mentally tough enough to dig in for the 80min. Some games you will get frustrated by your opposition but you have to keep your edge and maintain intensity.

Spot On

Coach
If we can fix our defence and continue to control the ball as we did the other night we can at least be competitive each week. Some of the tries we let in were f**king disgraceful.

Whats Doing

Bench
If we can fix our defence and continue to control the ball as we did the other night we can at least be competitive each week. Some of the tries we let in were f**king disgraceful.

Thats because we are not mentally tough for 80 minutes against sides who are. This was found out big time against the Broncs.

When the mind goes weak, concentration lapses and ridiculously easy tries are let in.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Why force a round peg into a square hole.

Bennett has lost about 10 games in his time here by being inflexible.

We look like the 2012 side all over again at times. Very frustrating when you consider how clueless that team was and the progress we made last year. Had we kept our nerve we could have been in it in the last 20 mins. The key in tight games is who blinks first. That extra gear a lot of teams have we do not. Brisbane's desperation was admirable.

Last edited:
Our position on the ladder pretty accurately shows where we sit in the pecking order in this years comp (funny that) our defence is just paper thin this year. I highly doubt we will even be in contention for the 8.