What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R9 vs Knights

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
So Kingston & Brown don't play & we still defend well... Yet looked deadly in attack all game. Never can anyone say 'we need x for their defence'

We don't need Kingston and Brown at all. But I suspect they will both be back in when fit.

EDIT: Today's result makes the Sharks result even more of a shitter. We better not turn up to the shit Raiders thinking we can just stroll past them.

Last edited:

Puntastic

Juniors
I thought Segeyaro kept up the intensity all match. Hopefully Cleary feels the same way. Nothing is lost with him starting.

We've certainly got the team to make a finals appearance.

I'm not sure how happy I am that we've got the Raiders coming up. I would have been had they not been flogged. Now they've got something to be angry about.

Pomoz

Bench
Idris never really bursts onto the ball. He always gets it at half speed, does a half-step and then folds into the defensive line. If he started doing that, we'd be a lot more threatening.

I thought he looked unfit and out of breath.

Puntastic

Juniors
Idris never really bursts onto the ball. He always gets it at half speed, does a half-step and then folds into the defensive line. If he started doing that, we'd be a lot more threatening.

He makes good meters, and he's hard to take down, but I feel like there's still room in his game for stronger attacking runs.

I'm not sure of his fitness, but I'm sure if he wasn't doing the work our forwards should be, there'd be more room for these sorts of plays. They'll come in time.

I think Mansour and Idris making the meters they are is taking the potency out of our backline so some degree.

Big Mick

Referee
I think there were a couple of trys in that game that other sides might have picked up - silly little errors in the opposition 20 which have plagued us all year. I never said I wasn't happy with the performance :crazy:

The backline as a whole still probably doesn't stand deep enough and attack the ball. They also rarely catch the opposition defence out with an overlap. It would be nice to see Idris hitting holes, or at the very least coming 1-1 with the opposition.

Mansour and Idris hardly play the role of conventional backs. Perhaps I should have clarified it better. I was especially impressed with Idris' defence. Whare is just fantastic.

Our backline just doens't look as potent as it should shifting the ball and we cant rely the tries that Moylan, Whare and Segeyaro scored to beat teams who aren't cellar-dwellers. Am I allowed to say it's something that still needs work? It doesn't mean we didn't play quite well today.

Nah nah. Makes sense.

Was just wanting clarification of what you meant by flat.

Agree with all you've said there about playing a bit deeper and hitting line at speed. 100% agree.

Big Mick

Referee
So Kingston & Brown don't play & we still defend well... Yet looked deadly in attack all game. Never can anyone say 'we need x for their defence'

I agree Big Mick when I said we have the players to push top 4. It was virtually the team we had today. Taylor & Grant in of course

For mine I'd still have Brown in for Robinson but I'm easy either way.

Didn't think Robinson did anything today to demand selection.

I'd even be tempted to have a bench of Peachey, Latimore, McKendry and Plum. Just have big bastards on the bench and rotate.

Pomoz

Bench

I'd even be tempted to have a bench of Peachey, Latimore, McKendry and Plum. Just have big bastards on the bench and rotate.
Latimore has been excellent this year. When Grant is back, a prop rotation of Kite, Plum, Sam and Latimore will really give us a great foundation.

I agree about Robinson, but he didn't do anything wrong either. He also hasn't played with Wallace and Soward before so he is still reading their plays and vice versa. His game is at his best when he is running angles and breaking the line, but you need timing and understanding with your halves to do that.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

He got one half of football. A half that we won 16-0. It's a bit harsh to say that he didn't do enough, especially when you want to replace him with someone who is not all that great at anything in Brown.

Kilkenny

Coach
A couple of points out of today's game worth mentioning;

• Josh Mansour will be a very handy pickup for whomever he signs for next season and beyond
  • Peter Wallace outstanding work in defence. Note his one on one tackle on Uate following through a kick which was only one of his thirty odd tackles
  • Yeo did enough in his little cameo appearance to demonstrate where his future lies.
  • McKendry went particularly well even given all of the drama surrounding his potential early release to the knights,
  • No worries about Segeyaro taking over the number nine role long term when the time comes.
  • Moylan really showed today he is not going to give up the number one position without a fight

Blackkat

Juniors
I love coming here and the mood is of confidence. I would agree with all that is said about the Knights game. Idris did look hampered aerobically.

Off topic: Was that seriously the Knights pink jersey?

Kilkenny

Coach
I love coming here and the mood is of confidence. I would agree with all that is said about the Knights game. Idris did look hampered aerobically.

Off topic: Was that seriously the Knights pink jersey?

Given he got off the sick bed to play his performance was enormous. Dean Whare get's so many wraps about his defence but Jamal's defence for such a big man is amazing. You would think the smaller, quicker guys would cause him problems but he just doesn't miss a tackle and as we saw today with his hit on Beau Scott he can really cause some damage. Even if not at his best given he played with the flu he contributed big time.

chrisD

Coach
Was an ok performance all round. If there was a stand out I'd say Soward. Spine linked a lot more this game than they had. Knights were terrible. Hopefully we'll get some confidence out of it.

I hope Plum is ok but he's not in my full strength team. And I think even with an injury it's be worth trying RCG ahead of Plum now. He's given us great service, but there's just no inroads at all when he carries.

I expect Idris to be rooted by the end of a game even if he isn't sick, he's does a shitload of work.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Was an ok performance all round. If there was a stand out I'd say Soward. Spine linked a lot more this game than they had. Knights were terrible. Hopefully we'll get some confidence out of it.

I hope Plum is ok but he's not in my full strength team. And I think even with an injury it's be worth trying RCG ahead of Plum now. He's given us great service, but there's just no inroads at all when he carries.

I expect Idris to be rooted by the end of a game even if he isn't sick, he's does a shitload of work.

Chris, don't get me wrong but RCG needs a full season against the big boys in the NSW Cup.

Front rowers don't tend to really develop until at least 23 - 24 years old so RCG has plenty of time.

I think the kid a a big future I really do but still needs to build up his body and all the other attributes unique to playing in the front row.

As for Nigel Plum his strength has always been his workrate and defence. He eats up the metres from his number of hit ups not necessarily off loads or getting thru the line.

If Nigel is out next week Sam Anderson deserves a call up. Yes not big by front row standards but on heart alone he can do a job off the bench. This kid is underrated.

franklin2323

Immortal
Certainly do not have to hide our current half back in defence. His work was outstanding.

Never has been a concern more his attack... Soward is the one. Falls off a few tackles but gets back on to help put them down. Made a few great one on one's today.

As for Plum Canberra & the bye can't see him or Docker playing this week. Simpkins was 18th man only fair he comes in.

chrisD

Coach
As for Plum Canberra & the bye can't see him or Docker playing this week. Simpkins was 18th man only fair he comes in.

But we weren't looking to cover the front row. If Plum and Grant are out I hope RCG or Anderson come in.

As harsh as it is, I don't think we were worse off for Plum having gone off.

Kilkenny

Coach
But we weren't looking to cover the front row. If Plum and Grant are out I hope RCG or Anderson come in.

As harsh as it is, I don't think we were worse off for Plum having gone off.

I think Anderson has earnt another shot in the top grade but I think they may bring in BMM for Plum.

If Docker is out and given what coach Cleary said in the press conference he has some sort of injury then I think they will bring in Ryan Simpkins.

Latest posts