What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs Make ANZ Stadium Home For 10 Years

great deal by souths.

i believe souths can average massive crowds again, and will result in much bigger crowds for all sydney teams as the city adopts attending matches more than watching on the box.

the financial side of it sounds very impressive

eels_fan_01

Bench
The thing is, im all for NRL teams taking games to bigger stadiums to get the crowds but honestly who thinks Souths will get over 47 thousand for a club game and thats what the SFS holds now.

yobbo84

Coach
themanonthehill said:
Homeless, stateless basket cases.

That's a bit rich coming from a supporter of the Wests-Balmain-Ryde-Eastwood Tigers playing out of NZ, Central Coast and Homebush!

coolumsharkie

Referee
Hmmmm.... Could be good for the club in the long run, I guess thats what they are punting on.

Personally I hate the look of an empty stadium.

Sonic Star

Juniors
Danish said:
Great to see that eases will be the sole resident of the best football stadium in NSW ;-)

Seriously though sounds like a great deal for the club, particularly the players. Using your own dressing room would certainly make it feel more like home. I wonder if they will have access to this room when its a tigers or dogs home game, or if they will have to play out of the away dressing rooms for a game?

Sounds like the Dressing Room is for Souths only. No one else will use it even if we not playing there.

NthKnight

Southernsaint said:
Great to see the Bunnies stick with their heartland...

Along with St George playing in Wollongong, and Easts and Wests taking matches to Gosford and New Zealand, I am glad that the traditions of Rugby League are alive and well in our centennary year...

To be fair mate, they are called the St George Illawarra Dragons. Without the Sth coast the Dragons would be far weaker. Just something to keep in mind.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
themanonthehill said:
Homeless, stateless basket cases. 12,000 in homebush is an awesome look. Soufs would struggle to fill waterloo oval

:lol:

Say the man who supports a team with 4 home grounds. The ultimate vagrants.

We'd struggle fo fill Waterloo Oval, Wests don't fill Campbelltown Oval. :lol:

Imbecile.

MattJ

Juniors
Sonic Star said:
Sounds like the Dressing Room is for Souths only. No one else will use it even if we not playing there.

I think he means when we are the away team for the week at telstra, will we be allowed to use our home locker room rather than just the regular away teams change room, which is a good question actually. As the home side for a fixture at telstra, i wouldnt be happy with the away side getting prefferential treatment or nice familiar, cosy surroundings. Im guessing the team can only use it for home fixtures.

STSAE

Juniors
miccle said:
This is the start of yet another big shift for Souths. I've heard a very strong rumour that they will indeed be dropping the "South" in exchange for ANZ.

It's a two-pronged attack, part-sponsorship and part-future direction for the club. The ANZ Rabbitohs can be expanded to read the All-New-Zealand Rabbitohs!

Well done Rabbits!

Heehee, Gold.

:lol: :lol:

no name

Referee
S.S.T.I.D said:
Stadium boss Ken Edwards predicted Souths could become the "gorilla" of Sydney NRL teams and attract 50,000 people to regular season games, of which there will be at least 10 each year at Olympic Park.

All the Rabbitohs' home finals will also be staged at ANZ Stadium. Last year's home ground average of 15,702 was the club's best since 1974.

I found these few points very interesting. I know clubs should make goals but they should leave the unrealistic ones in the board room.

Sonic Star

Juniors
MattJ said:
I think he means when we are the away team for the week at telstra, will we be allowed to use our home locker room rather than just the regular away teams change room, which is a good question actually. As the home side for a fixture at telstra, i wouldnt be happy with the away side getting prefferential treatment or nice familiar, cosy surroundings. Im guessing the team can only use it for home fixtures.

I don't see why not. Phac will be doing a live video feed where you can ask him questions.
Same with the ANZ bloke, so we can ask them and find out, it will be great if we could.

Slackboy72

Coach
NthKnight said:
To be fair mate, they are called the St George Illawarra Dragons. Without the Sth coast the Dragons would be far weaker. Just something to keep in mind.

Agree totally. I think to many Saints supporters are far too precious about Kogarah. Fact is the Dragons should be getting 25,000 to every match however Kogarah and WIN are both far too small and Kogarah too inconvenient to get to. And ANZ stadium is not going to help crowd numbers this year either.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I guess shooting for a high crowd watermark is beyond the scope of of the simpletons.

Go follow another sport if you don't want League to prosper.

Ryan

Juniors
The Homebush Bay Rabbitoh's.
Has a ring to it, doesn't it?
They should call the ground, "The ANZ Warren".

Slackboy72

Coach
I guess the one thing about Homebush is that it is easier to get from the front steps of central station to ANZ stadium than it is to get to SFS.

I still however think this is a bad move. I doubt souths will average more than 15-16,000 and in such a big stadium that is going to be quite craptacular.

Knightmare

Coach
I don't know about this idea, it looks good on paper but I hope the Sydney NRL doesn't become like the AFL where all the teams share 2-3 home grounds and local identity is nothing more than a name.

Latest posts