What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

callmack1

Staff member
Making a name for himself: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/01/30/making-a-name-for-himself/

Also, from Sporting News,

Phil Gould shoots down Graham Annesley’s controversial ‘attacking football’ mandate

Penrith Panthers boss Phil Gould has publicly questioned a radical new NRL directive that could potentially see teams punished by referees if they don't play 'more attacking and enjoyable football' in 2019.

As first reported by The Daily Telegraph's Dean Ritchie, new NRL head of elite football operations Graham Annesley is on a whistle-stop tour of all 16 NRL clubs to reveal a major change to officiating in the upcoming season.

Under the new policy referees will be instructed to 'stay out of the game as much as possible' and reward teams who embrace a more free-flowing approach.

The controversial plan aims to boost television ratings and crowd numbers by limiting stoppages in play and encouraging teams to abandon the structured style that has been in vogue for several seasons.

But the outspoken Gould, who has spent much of the rugby league off-season attempting to solve the Australian cricket team's many problems via his highly-entertaining Twitter feed, this week lashed out at former top referee Annesley's proposal.

"Since when did it become the responsibility of any code's governing body, to demand or direct, the acceptable standard &/or style of play it will encourage, discourage, reward or punish, specifically through the referee's interpretation of the rules?" Gould tweeted.

Annesley's wide-ranging role with the governing body includes oversight of the referees department.

The start of the 2018 NRL season was marred by a refereeing crackdown ordered at the request of NRL CEO Todd Greenberg.

Penalty counts skyrocketed as a result as referees were accused of ruining the game with nit-picking penalties before Greenberg finally relented after several weeks of controversy.

Pauly1

Juniors
Greg Inglis to reportedly miss the first two games of the 2019 NRL Season: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/8bc7cc40cab886007474821497375bcb

Don't get me wrong, I friggin love GI. He is one of the all time greats, one of my favourite players and there's no doubt this club wouldn't be where it is today without him. However, this is simply not good enough from him and it makes me seriously wonder where his head is at. Gi is a pro and has ben in the game for a long time so this simply shouldn't happen. It is not good enough that our club captain turns up to Pre-Season looking this unfit, simply not good enough. I'm really disappointed in him and it's not great signs.

In saying that, there is still time to get into shape. However, he should know better then to put himself in this situation.
Give me $1 Mil a season and watch me put on the kilos.He must be an untouchable!
He will trim down and be ready when the SOO comes around.

Wolfman

Juniors
Just on the Tom Burgess re-signing...

I generally tend to browse through the newspapers on-line and catch the NRL headlines every morning to see if there's any Rabbitohs news when I realised that the TELECRAP did not and still has not mentioned a thing about Tom's extended contract where every other newspaper and NRL sites have.

For a minute I thought wow that's a surprise but then it occurred to me that being a NEWS LTD owned company that shouldn't surprise me at all as it only the bad, made up and exaggerate Souths stories are worthy of print.

It just goes to show they still won't let go or maybe it's just Tall Poppy Syndrome?

Travitoh

First Grade
Making a name for himself: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/01/30/making-a-name-for-himself/

Also, from Sporting News,

Phil Gould shoots down Graham Annesley’s controversial ‘attacking football’ mandate

Penrith Panthers boss Phil Gould has publicly questioned a radical new NRL directive that could potentially see teams punished by referees if they don't play 'more attacking and enjoyable football' in 2019.

As first reported by The Daily Telegraph's Dean Ritchie, new NRL head of elite football operations Graham Annesley is on a whistle-stop tour of all 16 NRL clubs to reveal a major change to officiating in the upcoming season.

Under the new policy referees will be instructed to 'stay out of the game as much as possible' and reward teams who embrace a more free-flowing approach.

The controversial plan aims to boost television ratings and crowd numbers by limiting stoppages in play and encouraging teams to abandon the structured style that has been in vogue for several seasons.

But the outspoken Gould, who has spent much of the rugby league off-season attempting to solve the Australian cricket team's many problems via his highly-entertaining Twitter feed, this week lashed out at former top referee Annesley's proposal.

"Since when did it become the responsibility of any code's governing body, to demand or direct, the acceptable standard &/or style of play it will encourage, discourage, reward or punish, specifically through the referee's interpretation of the rules?" Gould tweeted.

Annesley's wide-ranging role with the governing body includes oversight of the referees department.

The start of the 2018 NRL season was marred by a refereeing crackdown ordered at the request of NRL CEO Todd Greenberg.

Penalty counts skyrocketed as a result as referees were accused of ruining the game with nit-picking penalties before Greenberg finally relented after several weeks of controversy.

I very much agree with Phil Gould here... even though his match commentary contradicts his point.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Just on the Tom Burgess re-signing...

I generally tend to browse through the newspapers on-line and catch the NRL headlines every morning to see if there's any Rabbitohs news when I realised that the TELECRAP did not and still has not mentioned a thing about Tom's extended contract where every other newspaper and NRL sites have.

For a minute I thought wow that's a surprise but then it occurred to me that being a NEWS LTD owned company that shouldn't surprise me at all as it only the bad, made up and exaggerate Souths stories are worthy of print.

It just goes to show they still won't let go or maybe it's just Tall Poppy Syndrome?

News Ltd as a whole are cancer.

250excf

Juniors
I have to say, I've been really disappointed in GI this offseason as a leader of not only the club but a leader of his community too.
I think we should lay off the big fella,he could have been doing a lot of Koori community stuff unless you are close who knows,also nobody knows what demons anyone else may be dealing with mentally or for that matter what he may be dealing with or facing in his personal life
Yes he stuffed up dui,but was on his way back from a community out bush after a days country rugby league giving his time and profile back to the community
Yes his knee is injured,how is that his fault ?.
Yes he’s porked up,but we all would after a long hard year of footy and given time off
Shows he’s human ,get behind our captain ,don’t put him down for being human,very harsh,yes he’s on good coin,QLD captain Rabbitohs Captain and was going to be Australian Captain,honestly he can’t be doing too much wrong
He’ll be fine I support people going through a hard time not kick them while their down,that’s the true Souths spirit I believe
You go GI get fit n kick ass
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::sunglasses::sunglasses:

250excf

Juniors
George Burgess reportedly inquires about joining Broncos: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/3a0fbe4ecc067386b24616d1bc18304c

Wow, so does George want out?
Could it be he has been given the heads up by WB and told to look around ?.
Could Bennett want to free up cash and a forward spot to bring say TPJnr over next year ?
Could Bennett feel it in the teams best interest to have a smaller faster more robust ball player off the bench to tear around the big boppers as they tire around the 20m mark ,seems to be a pretty good ploy,
I hope this year we have
1 big boppers rolling length of field in a set with super fast play the balls
2 cook giving super quick service and picking his times to run perfectly
3 fast free flowing footy going wide early and then quickly bringing it back in the ruck to the big guys running hard n straight
4 defence like 2014 finals
5 bench players that tear the game apart when dispatched at the key moments
6 plan b and c as seibold had neither
7 Souths will do well we have the better coach and a sick roster ( where’s Jennings contract ffs poor guy what’s the deal ,give Tom 4 years and give Jenni nothing

Good resigning imo.

Looked like he was about to break out last year and then he had an injury or two and others jumped in front of him. I was really worried that another team would snatch him up and he'd kick on for them straight away.

I really think this kid could be a revelation this year if given the chance to play in the centres.

callmack1

Staff member
Interesting about George as the reports are that he himself contacted the Broncos in order to help our salary cap situation. They're also saying it would be for 2020. Either way, it's not looking likely that George will be in the Red and Green this time next year sadly.

Rabbitohs extend contract of Braidon Burns: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/02/01/rabbitohs-extend-contract-of-braidon-burns/

This is friggin awesome news!!! i rate Burns and really think he could be in for a breakout year in 2019 if he gets his chance. I saw enough of him in the games he played in 2018 to suggest he can be a star in the future.

All these players re-signing is so great! It shows the spot that we are in as a club because players actually want to stay, they want to play here and give their all for the mighty Rabbit!

Wotif signs on as Rabbitohs official Pathways Major Partner: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...as-rabbitohs-official-pathways-major-partner/

Travitoh

First Grade
I think we should lay off the big fella,he could have been doing a lot of Koori community stuff unless you are close who knows,also nobody knows what demons anyone else may be dealing with mentally or for that matter what he may be dealing with or facing in his personal life
Yes he stuffed up dui,but was on his way back from a community out bush after a days country rugby league giving his time and profile back to the community
Yes he’s porked up,but we all would after a long hard year of footy and given time off
Shows he’s human ,get behind our captain ,don’t put him down for being human,very harsh,yes he’s on good coin,QLD captain Rabbitohs Captain and was going to be Australian Captain,honestly he can’t be doing too much wrong
He’ll be fine I support people going through a hard time not kick them while their down,that’s the true Souths spirit I believe

The Koori Knockout is an alcohol-free event, so to blow over 0.8 in a speeding car the next day is pretty disappointing when GI's actions will speak louder than any message the event organisers could try and get across.

The weight issue imo displays a lack of professionalism and as a captain of his club, state or country, professionalism should be his biggest priority.

These are the reasons why his offseason disappoints me and some others.

GI has been a fantastic player for club, state and country throughout his career, that is without a doubt but this offseason isn't what i would expect from a leader.

As you say though, get behind a bloke who has done a lot for club and community! I'm not calling for him to be sacked or demoted, I'm only expressing an opinion on how i believe his actions reflect.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Nah I'm not laying off the multi million dollar marquee signing who doesn't have the discipline to watch his own weight and whose non-appearance will effect the team.. Especially when you can bet he'll be injured during Origin.

FFS this isn't the 1980s

And what does this say to the rest of the team?

It also might explain his apparent disinterest in the finals....

And wtf were the coaching staff doing? Up here Seibold is putting the Broncos through what the players have claimed the most intense preseason yet.

ThingFish

Juniors
Nah I'm not laying off the multi million dollar marquee signing who doesn't have the discipline to watch his own weight and whose non-appearance will effect the team.. Especially when you can bet he'll be injured during Origin.

FFS this isn't the 1980s

And what does this say to the rest of the team?

It also might explain his apparent disinterest in the finals....

And wtf were the coaching staff doing? Up here Seibold is putting the Broncos through what the players have claimed the most intense preseason yet.
I have to agree about training staff, including Bennett. From the pics coming out of training a few of our players are looking a little tubby.

Latest posts