What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

handyman2190

Bench
Ethan Lowe is a great signing and just an indication of the player pull Bennett has. There were rumours of unrest at North Queensland last year and I think Lowe was one of those players which is why he didn’t play as well. What is going on with our cap though? Are we the new roosters?
Hasnt happened yet,its not official,dont count your chickens bro

Meticulous Merv

Juniors
Uksouthsfan apparently johnston is staying put hey its the old salty dog bennett working his tpa's like the rorters/storm/broncos do.wayne bennett is our best signing by far he has a lot more to teach souths yet remember that stay tuned bennett is a genius this is a great signing if true.with lowe off the bench with liam knight this will add further impact with lowe standing at 6ft 4in at 107kg..

You’re talking crap, Bennett is a coach no more, no less
There isn’t a more experienced administrator in the game than Richo & Blake Solly is obviously very experienced too

Meticulous Merv

Juniors
Ethan Lowe is a great signing and just an indication of the player pull Bennett has. There were rumours of unrest at North Queensland last year and I think Lowe was one of those players which is why he didn’t play as well. What is going on with our cap though? Are we the new roosters?

A lot of people speculating about our cap without having any real idea

Meticulous Merv

Juniors
Word is we’re in a tug a war with Rugby Australia for another very promising junior, apparently Luke Riemer has agreed verbally to switch codes & come across to Souths next year, yet to be officially done deal & it appears RA may try & enforce contracts & such

Certainly planning well for the future, the lure of having clear & defined pathways where players have the opportunity to wear Souths colours, train under the same system in soon to be completed first class facility is all very positive

grouch

First Grade
Ethan Lowe is a great signing and just an indication of the player pull Bennett has.
Looks like you can put this one down to his assistant.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/14...et-to-sign-jordan-kahu-from-brisbane-broncos/

"Lowe is close to South Sydney assistant coach Jason Demetriou and rated highly by the former Broncos assistant. He played under Demetriou at the Pride where he won an Intrust Super Cup title. Demetriou was also an assistant coach at North Queensland when the Cowboys won the 2015 NRL title."

Meticulous Merv

Juniors
The whole off season has been we can’t resign Robert Jennings because we don’t have the cap space. Now we’re trying to sign Ethan Lowe. Doesn’t make much sense but I’m not complaining.

Souths haven’t said much with regards to that, the media has, it’s clear who you need to believe
The club 2ill never say much about things like that & nor should they, you might get generic comments about salary cap pressure etc, but you won’t get detailed info about where we are with the cap

southsport

First Grade
The AJ swap makes sense. They are after a FB. It’s the only way I can see us both retaining Jennings (as rumoured), and signing Ethan Lowe (as rumoured).

I must say I’m not as happy as others about Lowe, but happy to be proven wrong.
I think the cowboys are making cap space so they can sign Kahu.

callmack1

Staff member
If Ethan Lowe does sign I reckon he will play right edge with Murray playing 13 and Sam moving to prop. This then allows one of the Burgess twins to be on the bench for impact when they come on.
Yea that's what I'm thinking too to be honest. No doubt we lost a bit of starch when the twins were both of at the same time last year so it'd be good to ensure we always have a twin on the field.

ThingFish

Juniors
I think the cowboys are making cap space so they can sign Kahu.
Yeah I’ve just read that. If this deal is real the source of money will be very interesting.

Apparently news is about to break on 3 clubs about to be heavily treated by NRL for salary cap breaches, maybe even including criminal charges.

Crossing fingers we aren’t involved.

PS I don’t have a source for this rumor, just a Tweet from a journo that got taken down pretty quickly.

Meticulous Merv

Juniors
Yeah I’ve just read that. If this deal is real the source of money will be very interesting.

Apparently news is about to break on 3 clubs about to be heavily treated by NRL for salary cap breaches, maybe even including criminal charges.

Crossing fingers we aren’t involved.

PS I don’t have a source for this rumor, just a Tweet from a journo that got taken down pretty quickly.

Someone did ask a journo who was reporting it on Twitter if Souths had anything to worry about, his reply was “I don’t believe so”
So take that as you will, seems to be a little nod for us being safe in that respect

Meticulous Merv

Juniors
Days after the South Sydney Rabbitohs poached two of rugby’s finest prospects, they are in a tug-of-war with Rugby Australia over a third talented junior.

Australian Schoolboys backrower Luke Reimer, who is contracted to RA until the end of 2020, is in discussions with Souths master coach Wayne Bennett about joining the club on a three-year deal.

Just how he does this while under contract remains to be seen; it’s understood RA has already rejected an initial deal put forward by the Bunnies.

Reimer, a barnstorming backrower who won the Bronze Boot as the best Australian Schoolboys player against their New Zealand rivals last year, is on an elite development squad contract with rugby. But RA may be forced to dip into its “future fund” pool to retain the promising teenager, who attends Barker College.

Rugby Confidential has been told Reimer has verbally agreed to a deal to switch codes and make Redfern his new home from next year.

RA was unable to use the funds to keep Joseph Suaalii and Lachlan Ilias, who both signed deals with Souths this week, although they will continue to play both codes throughout this school year.

Suaalii is described as a once-in-a-generation player and while rugby was desperate to keep him, his parents convinced him to pick Souths. Some suggest the 15-year-old will be earning $120,000 by the time he turns 18.

RA is not losing all of its best young stars. It has used the fighting fund to lock in Waratahs rookie Will Harris, seen by many as the next big thing in Australian rugby, as well as Nudgee’s Reesjan Pasitoa, who has been signed by the Brumbies.

I was licking my lips when wayne bennett signed with souths i was smiling for weeks he is showing richo and crowe how to buy some of the best players needed at souths within the tpa guide lines.let the good times roll wayne bennett go you good thing wayne bennett is "the man" make no mistake about that just watch how much better souths go from here on...

handyman2190

Bench
It seems that way.
Hang on fellas this has been said by a couple of you now and i dont get it, barba must of been on at least 400k to play FB, he got the sack, whats happened to that money, why would they clear decks for more?
Lowe played sub standard last season, i think if he leaves its because they dont want him anymore and are saving money for holmes. Lowe took up an option in his favour,i bet if his contract was up they wouldnt resign him because their sqad needs new blood,its stagnated,dont forget thurston was on a reported 1.3m where has that gone,ok maguire prob got 700k this if it happens has got nada to do with signing kahou,just join the dots

Latest posts