What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

GloryGlory

Juniors
Seriously the mole is an idiot. His job is to report on rugby league yet he cant even do a 10 second google search to check the top 30 and know he clearly has the wrong player... on an aside Higgins looked good in Canterbury Cup last week as did Koloamatangi - Amone looked like a lock for position 30 in our squad but there may be more to the story

On Lomax I have to ask if anyone has actually seen him play? The kid has clear potential but defensively he has no idea at either wing or centre, he needs a good season in NSW Cup and another off season before he is ready for NRL. I think the best chance we have at a back up outside back this year is an off-contract player (as much as I would love to see Manu in a red and green jersey) but most of these won't be released

Players off contract are:
- Corey Oates: Works well with Bennett but won't be released in 2019
- Jordan Rapana: Won't be released and only valuable if we move Graham to centre because he isn't a centre
- John Olive: Would love to get a junior back but he hasn't fulfilled his potential so far. But I suspect we could get him this year as he is at the bottom of the pecking order at a poor Bulldogs team
- Aaron Gray: Like Olive it would be good to get a junior back and like Olive he is way down the pecking order at current club but like Olive the potential remains untapped
- Brenko Lee: This guy could be anything and the way he plays is the way Bennett likes his players. Could be an option if Bennett can make him consistent
- Albert Hopoate: SIGN HIM NOW!
- Dylan Walker: DON'T GO NEAR HIM!
- Brendan Elliot: Only worth it if you need another club on his Bingo card
- Blake Ayshford: I thought he'd retired... enough said
- Hymel Hunt: Gee I wish we hadn't let him go in hindsight but I cant see the Knights releasing him
- Clint Gutherson: This is the real option I think. Wait for him for 2020 and make do with a combination of Gagai, Burns, Douehi, Graham this year with Hiroti to come into the side on the wing. The better the Eels go though the less likely he is to leave
- Brad Takairangi: Too loose and I think his time is done
- Corey Thompson: Not a bad option and a good set starter but a winger not a centre

250excf

Juniors
Seriously the mole is an idiot. His job is to report on rugby league yet he cant even do a 10 second google search to check the top 30 and know he clearly has the wrong player... on an aside Higgins looked good in Canterbury Cup last week as did Koloamatangi - Amone looked like a lock for position 30 in our squad but there may be more to the story

On Lomax I have to ask if anyone has actually seen him play? The kid has clear potential but defensively he has no idea at either wing or centre, he needs a good season in NSW Cup and another off season before he is ready for NRL. I think the best chance we have at a back up outside back this year is an off-contract player (as much as I would love to see Manu in a red and green jersey) but most of these won't be released

Players off contract are:
- Corey Oates: Works well with Bennett but won't be released in 2019
- Jordan Rapana: Won't be released and only valuable if we move Graham to centre because he isn't a centre
- John Olive: Would love to get a junior back but he hasn't fulfilled his potential so far. But I suspect we could get him this year as he is at the bottom of the pecking order at a poor Bulldogs team
- Aaron Gray: Like Olive it would be good to get a junior back and like Olive he is way down the pecking order at current club but like Olive the potential remains untapped
- Brenko Lee: This guy could be anything and the way he plays is the way Bennett likes his players. Could be an option if Bennett can make him consistent
- Albert Hopoate: SIGN HIM NOW!
- Dylan Walker: DON'T GO NEAR HIM!
- Brendan Elliot: Only worth it if you need another club on his Bingo card
- Blake Ayshford: I thought he'd retired... enough said
- Hymel Hunt: Gee I wish we hadn't let him go in hindsight but I cant see the Knights releasing him
- Clint Gutherson: This is the real option I think. Wait for him for 2020 and make do with a combination of Gagai, Burns, Douehi, Graham this year with Hiroti to come into the side on the wing. The better the Eels go though the less likely he is to leave
- Brad Takairangi: Too loose and I think his time is done
- Corey Thompson: Not a bad option and a good set starter but a winger not a centre
What about Jimmy the Jet mate you left out the best one

250excf

Juniors
Not off contract until 2022....
.... and likely to lay only 12 games a season, whats the point replacing one injury prone centre with another one that isnt as good

Likely is a pretty loose word any player can likely get injured mate
He also may likely not be injured again how can you even say that it’s NRL of course theirs going to be injuries they are human

Travitoh

First Grade
Centre is arguably the position of least importance in the NRL today imo. It's become a workhorse position.
Even when you go back to the start of our winning seasons in 2012, it all started with GI being moved from centre to FB.
We don't need to spend money on a quality centre, their impact on a game is limited. It's more important that 3 and 4 can defend than it is that they attack in rugby league today.

GloryGlory

Juniors
Centre is arguably the position of least importance in the NRL today imo. It's become a workhorse position.
Even when you go back to the start of our winning seasons in 2012, it all started with GI being moved from centre to FB.
We don't need to spend money on a quality centre, their impact on a game is limited. It's more important that 3 and 4 can defend than it is that they attack in rugby league today.

Defense is definitely important but the only way Campbell Graham is getting the ball it the moment is when Kyle Turner runs a decoy, if your centre can't pass and provide you with options in attack you become an easy defensive read and wont score points

Travitoh

First Grade
Defense is definitely important but the only way Campbell Graham is getting the ball it the moment is when Kyle Turner runs a decoy, if your centre can't pass and provide you with options in attack you become an easy defensive read and wont score points

That is true and when Doueihi and Burns are back fit, i would hope that isn't an issue.

handyman2190

Bench
I'm reading that the broncos won't release anyone to Souths until after we play them in Rd #8.
Where was that info i haven't seen it brother southy,maybe we can snare both because we sure are short, I'm hearing gaigan won't be resigned seasons end,no good playing good 2nd grade and can't step up

callmack1

Staff member
I have also heard rumours about Isaia Perese but we are apparently being careful so that we don't put any of our juniors off.

250excf

Juniors
I disagree we won 2014 partly due to having 2 strong centres in walker and so I who both scored quite a few tries these days it’s also about running the decoys as well as feeding the winger and trying to make the correct choices at speed in defence very very difficult

250excf

Juniors
I disagree we won 2014 partly due to having 2 strong centres in walker and so I who both scored quite a few tries these days it’s also about running the decoys as well as feeding the winger and trying to make the correct choices at speed in defence very very difficult
Somi

Travitoh

First Grade

I agree with a lot of that but key words in it all are "partly due".
When i look at influencial players in the NRL today, very few are centres. That's not to say that they don't play a part in 2019, because that claim doesn't apply to any position in a matchday 17. I just question if it is a position that is worth spending big money on.

assess5

Juniors

I wouldn't mind Latrell Mitchell signing with Souths specially if he where to come cheap.