What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

handyman2190

Bench
Also, Turner out for up to a month with a broken toe. Such bad luck for him! The backline is looking thin now.
Bennett when questioned about were the GI money would be spent said wingers and centres and 1 forward so they have identified we are light on, heres hoping george picks his game up and stays

callmack1

Staff member
Just want to say congrats to Cooper Cronk on one hell of a career!! Been a joy to watch (apart from when he played us) and you are no doubt one of the greatest playmakers of this generation.

handyman2190

Bench
Rumours over here in the UK that Wayne is interested in St Helens pair Alex Walmsley and Luke Thompson. Both are England internationals and are properly the best 2 props in super league. He believes he can get both for the same money it would cost to keep George.
If anyone has a chance of getting them its bennett but id like to keep george though he isnt playing that good

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Even if we bring in two internationals for the price of George?

At the moment though i feel it's a lazy link by the media.

It would be a sad day letting go of George but it would be the smart decision by the club. I don’t think he’s played a game this season which shouts out to me “Wow he is definitely worth 700k”. Whereas I constantly think when I watch Sam “this man is worth more than we pay him”.

handyman2190

Bench
Souths are still yet to make an offer to Kyle Turner to go around again next year.

His manager is still shopping him to Superleague clubs.
Bennett when asked said we need backs and 1 forward, turner is fragile even at centre, the knock he got 2 games ago, was nothing and he had to go off, if we can sign 3 backs and replace sutto he wont be resigned.
Shibasaki who we wanted is being conned by seibold giving him a 1st grade spot so he dosent leave,interesting times

assess5

Juniors
It would be a sad day letting go of George but it would be the smart decision by the club. I don’t think he’s played a game this season which shouts out to me “Wow he is definitely worth 700k”. Whereas I constantly think when I watch Sam “this man is worth more than we pay him”.

It seems like only yesterday when everybody on this forum was screaming for Amone, Amone has to be promoted to first grade, must drop Mark Nichols, Nichols is hopeless, Amone was the best 'attack' and the best 'defense'.
You'se are hard to keep up with, haven't heard word 'one' about Amone for oh …'I dun no, maybe a month'.

I think we got a lot of future stars in the juniors that Wayne Bennett is just the guy to bring to the top standard. If a player comes on the market, Souths should not necessarily buy him, quite the reverse actually, if a player come on the market a lot of the time its because there is a problem with him, sort a like injury or attitude.

I'm a firm believer in promotion (and sacking) comes from with in, players like Dean Britt, Rhys Kennedy should get first bite of the cherry. Just look how well Tatola is going, he's probably going to be even better next year because forwards, specially props get better with age.

I get annoyed sometimes when someone on this forum says 'Yada Yada's on the market, Souths MUST snap him up, real quick" when Yada Yada ain't half the player as the guy in reserve grade.

Lets hope Souths recruitment mechanism has the correct settings and the club isn't saddled with some the duds we got in the past.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
It seems like only yesterday when everybody on this forum was screaming for Amone, Amone has to be promoted to first grade, must drop Mark Nichols, Nichols is hopeless, Amone was the best 'attack' and the best 'defense'.
You'se are hard to keep up with, haven't heard word 'one' about Amone for oh …'I dun no, maybe a month'.

I think we got a lot of future stars in the juniors that Wayne Bennett is just the guy to bring to the top standard. If a player comes on the market, Souths should not necessarily buy him, quite the reverse actually, if a player come on the market a lot of the time its because there is a problem with him, sort a like injury or attitude.

I'm a firm believer in promotion (and sacking) comes from with in, players like Dean Britt, Rhys Kennedy should get first bite of the cherry. Just look how well Tatola is going, he's probably going to be even better next year because forwards, specially props get better with age.

I get annoyed sometimes when someone on this forum says 'Yada Yada's on the market, Souths MUST snap him up, real quick" when Yada Yada ain't half the player as the guy in reserve grade.

Lets hope Souths recruitment mechanism has the correct settings and the club isn't saddled with some the duds we got in the past.

I agree with what you’re saying but I have been following Amone in Canterbury Cup and I still think he would do his job if he got promoted. I think Bennett is going to let him play a year of Canterbury Cup before anything happens. Don’t forget Amone is junior for a prop at 22 so it would of been pretty rushed if he was playing first grade this year.

Souths recruitment and retention has definitely changed since 2014. We seem to focusing on bringing in talented juniors and developing them ourselves rather than purchasing talent which has also provided to be a lot more sustainable when injuries hit.

What you’re saying in regards to players coming onto the market is true to some extent but then you’ve got to look at a player like Ethan Lowe and think wow why did the cowboys release him? He’s a quality first grader. Sometimes the problems can be within the club. Also winning can do wonders to a players confidence and ability. I think Adam Reynolds is also an example of that.

I do believe Souths are going to be focusing on promoting within rather than hitting the player market as you suggest as it seems to be the new direction Richo is heading. However I also believe we will probably see a marquee signing with Greg Inglis’ money in due time. I trust Bennett and Richo to make the right decisions because ultimately Richo turned this club around in only a couple of years after John Lee almost drove it into the ground.

assess5

Juniors
I agree with what you’re saying but I have been following Amone in Canterbury Cup and I still think he would do his job if he got promoted. I think Bennett is going to let him play a year of Canterbury Cup before anything happens. Don’t forget Amone is junior for a prop at 22 so it would of been pretty rushed if he was playing first grade this year.

Souths recruitment and retention has definitely changed since 2014. We seem to focusing on bringing in talented juniors and developing them ourselves rather than purchasing talent which has also provided to be a lot more sustainable when injuries hit.

What you’re saying in regards to players coming onto the market is true to some extent but then you’ve got to look at a player like Ethan Lowe and think wow why did the cowboys release him? He’s a quality first grader. Sometimes the problems can be within the club. Also winning can do wonders to a players confidence and ability. I think Adam Reynolds is also an example of that.

I do believe Souths are going to be focusing on promoting within rather than hitting the player market as you suggest as it seems to be the new direction Richo is heading. However I also believe we will probably see a marquee signing with Greg Inglis’ money in due time. I trust Bennett and Richo to make the right decisions because ultimately Richo turned this club around in only a couple of years after John Lee almost drove it into the ground.

I think Amone will benefit immensely with a season in the Canterbury Cup, I think he is a little one dimensional. Maybe we will see him in firsts toward the end of this season, hopefully not because of injury but because he improves. The thing is - who does he replace - I think we all agree that the first grade side have played amazingly well, have won games even when playing perhaps poorly (sign of a good team) and seem to be improving each week. The only team that are of a concern is the Storm and of course when we play the Roosters again.

My point re players coming on the market is a good one, most players coming on the market are on the market for a reason. I agree we are lucky with Lowe and also Liam Knight, or is it because Bennett brings out the best in players, Like Bellamy.

The thing about promoting from with in is knowledge of a players history which has shown to be very important, I refer you to that Manly player Maguire bought who proved disastrous, can't remember his name, think he went to England, was his name Brett Stewart.

Gotta go.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I think Amone will benefit immensely with a season in the Canterbury Cup, I think he is a little one dimensional. Maybe we will see him in firsts toward the end of this season, hopefully not because of injury but because he improves. The thing is - who does he replace - I think we all agree that the first grade side have played amazingly well, have won games even when playing perhaps poorly (sign of a good team) and seem to be improving each week. The only team that are of a concern is the Storm and of course when we play the Roosters again.

My point re players coming on the market is a good one, most players coming on the market are on the market for a reason. I agree we are lucky with Lowe and also Liam Knight, or is it because Bennett brings out the best in players, Like Bellamy.

The thing about promoting from with in is knowledge of a players history which has shown to be very important, I refer you to that Manly player Maguire bought who proved disastrous, can't remember his name, think he went to England, was his name Brett Stewart.

Gotta go.

Not Brett, glen but I understand your points!

Mr Spock!

Referee

Well the panthers and eels are relying on juniors and look how they're going.

Travitoh

First Grade

handyman2190

Bench
Just got a call, gbugi to broncos mlodge to bunnies and could happen before june 30, Could, otherwise seasons end.
Forget whats happened outside the game, lodge is putting in and on the cusp of origin, george , no offence, plays like a lame duck, and everytime he is passed the ball it looks like he will drop it, it will probably revitalize his carreer, and we get a big motor.

Latest posts