What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16 Part 2

alien

Referee
We need 1 good hooker in our team and a back up. You can't honestly say mcinnes couldn't do the job as a back-up hooker and play maybe 2 or 3 games if cook suffers an injury or suspension.

Maybe Madge sees Cook as a good Hooker, but believes Farah will be even better for the team, but that Cook is a better backup dummy half than McInnes.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Maybe Madge sees Cook as a good Hooker, but believes Farah will be even better for the team, but that Cook is a better backup dummy half than McInnes.
Yea that's more in line with my thinking. I don't for a second believe we signed farah purely because mcinnes isn't good enough to be a back up hooker

alien

Referee
A player highly rated by the club and picked to play 19 games in 2016 finishing the year as 18th man suddenly isn't even good enough to be a back up?

Madge may have seen McInnes as a player with potential and thought he would improve the part of his game where he isn't very strong (quick service from dummy half). Lack of improvement in that area after a lot of games may have made Madge decide to look elsewhere.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Madge may have seen McInnes as a player with potential and thought he would improve the part of his game where he isn't very strong (quick service from dummy half). Lack of improvement in that area after a lot of games may have made Madge decide to look elsewhere.
If it was just mcinnes he was unhappy with then i don't think he would have gone for farah. It's like saying broncos are unhappy with travis wadell so are chasing Cameron Smith as back up.

alien

Referee
If it was just mcinnes he was unhappy with then i don't think he would have gone for farah. It's like saying broncos are unhappy with travis wadell so are chasing Cameron Smith as back up.

Oh I don't believe Farah was signed to be a backup player. I do believe that Cook is a better backup hooker than McInnes though.

southsport

First Grade

I think with what the tigers are paying, with TPAs and the departure of Cam Souths will be getting Farah for zero extra dollars or maybe even a little better than that, it is a deal to good to resist.

alien

Referee
Maybe there is another possibility. Say the Sharks REALLY want Cook, and Cook wants to go there. Maybe a possibility is we let them have Cook if they give us Cherrington and a decent prop.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I think with what the tigers are paying, with TPAs and the departure of Cam Souths will be getting Farah for zero extra dollars or maybe even a little better than that, it is a deal to good to resist.
Those tpa's aren't just free money. And it's limited to what each club can organise. From memory it's 600k in tpa deals. If we end up losing someone like reynolds because all the legal tpa money is tapped out then it won't have been a good deal. But as it stands noe yes it's a good deal, but it would of been a great deal for whatever club farah ended up at. With tigers paying so much it would of been a bargain, yet not many clubs took up the offer. I think it's because most clubs are set for the offer. It's like if you are offered free steak, yea everybody loves free steak, but if you already have a fridge and freezer full of the stuff then it's no point taking the free steak because it'll go to waste. We could just as easily released cam, got a rookie for back up and used that money towards areas we are short.

southsport

First Grade
Maybe there is another possibility. Say the Sharks REALLY want Cook, and Cook wants to go there. Maybe a possibility is we let them have Cook if they give us Cherrington and a decent prop.

I don't know about that, don't be surprised if we get Matulino.

As far as back-up hooker we may have one already in Brad Deitz at norths and Phoenix Hunt has some raps on him and may be a possibilty in a few years.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Those tpa's aren't just free money. And it's limited to what each club can organise. From memory it's 600k in tpa deals. If we end up losing someone like reynolds because all the legal tpa money is tapped out then it won't have been a good deal. But as it stands noe yes it's a good deal, but it would of been a great deal for whatever club farah ended up at. With tigers paying so much it would of been a bargain, yet not many clubs took up the offer. I think it's because most clubs are set for the offer. It's like if you are offered free steak, yea everybody loves free steak, but if you already have a fridge and freezer full of the stuff then it's no point taking the free steak because it'll go to waste. We could just as easily released cam, got a rookie for back up and used that money towards areas we are short.
As far as I'm aware, we are only paying 150-200k of Farah's contract. I'm not sure as to whether this is paid through third party deals or not. Given that Brown has just signed with Eels, I'd imagine that we'd have a bit of space under the cap to play with.

I'm too sure that going with a rookie hooker is the way to go given where we finished this year. Hooker is such a key position and it would be a huge gamble to take a chance on a rookie. I think that if he had won the comp this year or at the very least, finished in the top 4, then Maguire might have been more willing to give a young hooker a chance. However, the reality is neither Maguire nor the club can afford another ordinary season.