What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16 Part 2

doyen

Bench
Maybe Foran is not able to demand as much now following his problems.

He'd have to be seen as a risk.

He wants to be near his kids which means that NZ is out of the question!

He's probably going to have to accept much less with his circumstances!

Rabbits20

Immortal
If we need 2 hookers, then why did our run of wins at the end of the year come with 1 hooker? You contradict yourself there. We need 1 good hooker in our team and a back up. You can't honestly say mcinnes couldn't do the job as a back-up hooker and play maybe 2 or 3 games if cook suffers an injury or suspension.
Yes you've mentioned players that have moved fron one club to another, ONE coach didn't rate them or they found themselves being stuck behind One player and have to move on for a chance. But when THREE coaches have overlooked players in favour of FOUR very average hookers. Surely a pattern is being developed.
Robbie Farah being happy being a bit time player and only has problems with Jason Taylor? Has your head been under a rock for 5 years? He has had problems with both Sheens and Mick Potter over the direction of the team and his role in it. What a player says in the press doesn't always reflect his true feelings. Case in point cook. He said in the press he relishes the challenge that farah brings yet he is now seeking a release. You say the best way to judge a player is on the field and thats exactly what I've done. Out of the 17 games he played for us he was good in 3. He had a mixed game against the storm with some good work mixed up some bad mistakes. He had a shocker in our last win against newcastle making a tonne of mistakes but that went unnoticed as we won easily. In his other 12 games for us he was very average, if he was any good in those games then he would of replaced mcinnes a lot earlier.
You are extremely bias against Cook.

No Cam couldn't be our back up hooker. Cam is not up to it and doesn't suit our style of play.

He was good in far more than 3 for us.

He was very good against Newcastle. Just made a couple of errors like Issac does.

Cook gets us on the front foot.

Madge favoured Cam far too long and it was a big mistake.

We would be mad to let Cook go.

Farah is injury prone and I don't want Farah playing the 80.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

I've been hearing he actually wants to be away from his family. I don't know though if this is correct. If it's false Bulldogs and Souths are the obvious choices but how can he pass up an offer to play with the coach that gave him his debut.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Ennis has stated hes fully behind cook taking the 9 jersey for next year. Id say if ennis is in the media openly talking about it then its only a matter of time before hes gone.
You are extremely bias against Cook.

No Cam couldn't be our back up hooker. Cam is not up to it and doesn't suit our style of play.

He was good in far more than 3 for us.

He was very good against Newcastle. Just made a couple of errors like Issac does.

Cook gets us on the front foot.

Madge favoured Cam far too long and it was a big mistake.

We would be mad to let Cook go.

Farah is injury prone and I don't want Farah playing the 80.

You dont want a SOO hooker to play 80 mins? You really are thick

Rabbits20

Immortal
Farah was signed because mcinnes isn't good enough to be backup? A player highly rated by the club and picked to play 19 games in 2016 finishing the year as 18th man suddenly isn't even good enough to be a back up?
Or maybe both cook and mcinnes aren't good enough to be 1st choice, farah is signed to be 1st choice. With cook and mcinnes both being back ups. With no need for 2 back ups, and with dragons offering to take mcinnes he is let go.
I may not agree with the arguement that mcinnes isn't first grade standard, but can understand the arguement, but to say he isn't even good enough to be a back-up, to be in a 25 man squad behind a good hooker is too much of a stretch.
I completely agree with SOUTHS Pride.

Well SOUTHS have moved Cam on as they don't believe he's good enough for our 25 man squad.

It's simple. But it doesn't seem so to you.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Oi alien did you read the debate between SOUTHS Pride and Diego???

One of the guys was truth telling.

Also Sharks offering Cook 600k over 2 seasons.

We must keep Cook though and we don't have to release him.

souths_reborn

Juniors
If the salary cap was removed you'd see the same 4-5 teams winning it each year with some others not even getting a sniff of winning half of their games.

The salary cap is what makes rugby league an exciting spectacle, if teams manage it right then they can do great things.

Its the TPA's that need reviewing, not the cap itself.
Why is that such a bad thing? The EPL (up until the start of last season) had seen the same teams winning the competition for over two decades and it is the wealthiest and most popular football league in the world. Hence, I don't necessarily buy this nonsense that the salary cap makes rugby league a spectacle. If anything, the salary cap actually punishes teams who do things right and are well run by forcing them to shed players when they start achieving sustained success. Rugby League would still be a spectacle without the salary cap; its removal would force teams to become shrewder in the way the manager their affairs off the field. So in a sense, it would become a competition both on and off the field and I think that can only be a good thing.

souths_reborn

Juniors

I think the NRL came out just the other day and slapped a $1 million price tag on him under the Israel Folau rule.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I think though that COOK wishes to be the No.1 hooker at the SHARKS & probably believes he'll get a better go there! He'd be playing in a very good side too that is looking like a longterm top 4 one!!
I'm not so sure that the Sharks are a long term top 4 team. They have a lot of veterans in their team that are coming to the end of their careers that need replacing. It could potentially hit them hard to have all those players leave at the same time because finding realistic targets who are an upgrade on those players are not as easy as it appears.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
So we've signed farah. We're expressing heavy interest in Foran and Idris.
IF souths signed all 3, the carnage from the salary cap squeeze would be massive.
Personally i cant see us getting both. A more likely chance of idris than foran. I dont see how we could afford all burgi, inglis, reyno and then foran as well.
Could cook and other unretained players like hunt and musgrove be moved on to sign either foran, idris or both,

DiegoNT

First Grade
I completely agree with SOUTHS Pride.

Well SOUTHS have moved Cam on as they don't believe he's good enough for our 25 man squad.

It's simple. But it doesn't seem so to you.
You are on the next level of geniusness aren't you. Not good enough to be a back-up yet played 19 games this year, finished the year as 18th man and was rated enough by dragons to be their choice as number 1 hooker for next year. But he's not even good enough to be a back-up? To play for Norths and come into the team in case of injuries or suspensions. Please donate your brain to Science so they can study it when you die!
You are so blinded in your love for cook that you can't process the possibility that farah is coming to replace him. Hooking has been a problem, the nsw origin hooker came on the market cheaply, we signed him, we now had 3 hookers when we only need 2, one of the back up hookers, probably number 3 in line anyway, had another club willing to buy out his contract, we move him on, problem solved.
Makes a lot more sense then cook is so great, even though mcinnes played 19 games and ended the year as 18th man he is now to shit to even play for bears, because mcinnes is so shit let's go out and buy the nsw hooker to play behind cook, it's ok robbie is perfectly fine letting someone else have control. I'm sure it's all coincidental that cook is asking for a release in this situation.
With brain power like that you'll have a long fruitful career at woolies

rabbitohs95

Bench
Why is that such a bad thing? The EPL (up until the start of last season) had seen the same teams winning the competition for over two decades and it is the wealthiest and most popular football league in the world. Hence, I don't necessarily buy this nonsense that the salary cap makes rugby league a spectacle. If anything, the salary cap actually punishes teams who do things right and are well run by forcing them to shed players when they start achieving sustained success. Rugby League would still be a spectacle without the salary cap; its removal would force teams to become shrewder in the way the manager their affairs off the field. So in a sense, it would become a competition both on and off the field and I think that can only be a good thing.

The fact that the NRL hasn't had a team go back to back since 92'-93' is a testament to itself.

How f**king boring would it be seeing the same 4 teams win it every year? During the Manly-Storm reign of 2007-2012 was a nightmare. I don't think many fans would appreciate that.

Plus the difference is that the EPL have a relegation system where some fans are just happy to see their team compete in the Premier League, and we don't have that in the NRL.

If we got rid of the salary cap we'd just see the rich teams get richer and better and the poorer teams linger down at the bottom of the ladder. Having seen Souths at the bottom of the ladder for the best part of a decade was so bad and a lot of supporters would leave if their team had to go through that. We don't have the same passion as soccer fans do.

I can see where you're coming from but I don't think it could work in the NRL. As far as i'm concerned the fact that any team can build a premiership winning squad thanks to the cap works wonders for rugby league. Look at the Titans, they were wooden spoon favourites at the beginning of the year but thanks to great cap management, they're now looking at a good few years down the track. It would be so unfair for them not to be able to compete purely because they don't have the same funds that other teams do.

doyen

Bench
I think the NRL came out just the other day and slapped a $1 million price tag on him under the Israel Folau rule.
$1,000,000--that's ridiculous & it just goes to show how inconsistent & disorganised the NRL are in almost every facet of the game.
Players walking out of contracts at will,bending of the salary cap rules,judiciary inconsistences--the NRL has been badly managed for a long,long time!

DiegoNT

First Grade
English soccer club culture is incredibly strong. You have 40,000 fans happily fill out a stadium to watch Shitonton United get flogged each week by man u and chelsea each week, with no hope of winning a title and to finish 16th each year. Nrl can't even get sell outs for our winning team. If the same 3 or 4 teams win each year then the fans ( apart from the diehards) of the other 12 nrl teams aren't going to stick around. Teams will go broke, either through lack of support or through a situation like leeds in the early 00s who overspent trying to keep up with the big guns on the field and went bust. Lose a few teams, especially in big tv markets, and suddenly the tv money dries up. The current 16 clubs all benifit on each other. Souths benifit from Cowboys and broncos being in the comp, as they bring in a bigger tv market, which increases the tv contract, which increases the grants the nrl give the clubs while also giving sponsors more exposure, which makes sponsorship more valuable etc and so it all flows on.

Last edited: