What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs signings, rumours and injuries 2015-16 Part 2

alien

Referee
Those tpa's aren't just free money. And it's limited to what each club can organise. From memory it's 600k in tpa deals. If we end up losing someone like reynolds because all the legal tpa money is tapped out then it won't have been a good deal. But as it stands noe yes it's a good deal, but it would of been a great deal for whatever club farah ended up at. With tigers paying so much it would of been a bargain, yet not many clubs took up the offer. I think it's because most clubs are set for the offer. It's like if you are offered free steak, yea everybody loves free steak, but if you already have a fridge and freezer full of the stuff then it's no point taking the free steak because it'll go to waste. We could just as easily released cam, got a rookie for back up and used that money towards areas we are short.

That maximum of $600,000 (Marquee Player Allowance) is from club sponsors, but it is unlimited from businesses who aren't associated with the club.
http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Yeah! I think I remember Paul Kent having a massive whinge about that on NRL 360, saying how it makes the competition unfair.

Bloody oath it does it allowed the Broncos to poach quality players like David mead, James Roberts for cheap on the salary cap but heavy in TPA's. It's bullshit. The salary cap should just be removed it causes too many problems.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Bloody oath it does it allowed the Broncos to poach quality players like David mead, James Roberts for cheap on the salary cap but heavy in TPA's. It's bullshit. The salary cap should just be removed it causes too many problems.
I'm not a real fan of the salary cap for many reasons. I completely agree that it causes too many problems. I also think it completely goes against everything we stand for in a capitalist society My biggest issue with it though is that it assists clubs who are poorly run. In a sense, it is the salary cap that is holding back rugby league from becoming more professional in the front offices and board rooms. I'd be willing to be anything that if the salary cap wasn't in place then clubs, like Parramatta and Newcastle, would be much more shrewd in their appointment of CEOs and board members.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Do you think having no salary cap would be good for Souths long-term though?
I think so. We are now a professional, well run-club that is generating money. Most of our officials are qualified and good business people. We also have a lot of high profile members that would have all sorts of corporate connections. At the moment, we really haven't really had to use them to their fullest extent because we don't really need any additional money because of the salary cap.

alien

Referee
I think so. We are now a professional, well run-club that is generating money. Most of our officials are qualified and good business people. We also have a lot of high profile members that would have all sorts of corporate connections. At the moment, we really haven't really had to use them to their fullest extent because we don't really need any additional money because of the salary cap.

James Packer is loaded, but I don't know how much he'd want to put in constantly.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
James Packer is loaded, but I don't know how much he'd want to put in constantly.

Trust me if the salary cap was removed we would be one of the better off clubs out there. Souths may not be one of the best playing clubs in the comp but it is very professionally run. I mean it's why we always shed so many players because we're under the supposed "cap" but for some reason other teams can recruit dally M stars like Roberts for under market value and have it be okay. For Christs sake he's not worth 300k and David mead is not worth 180k but then they get payouts from these TPA's and it's all okay. Our roster got massacred by the return of Sam burgess. It just pisses me off to be honest. With the salary cap in place it actually isn't a level playing field.

I know it turns sport into more of a business but having a limit on how much you can pay players is ridiculous and it's not good for the game. I don't watch NRL just to see Souths play i watch NRL because I love the game. Right now the game is so unbalanced because of this "salary cap" bullshit with some teams supposedly being allowed to go even higher than it, which is just ridiculous. We will never be a recognised sport until we remove this cap.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Trust me if the salary cap was removed we would be one of the better off clubs out there. Souths may not be one of the best playing clubs in the comp but it is very professionally run. I mean it's why we always shed so many players because we're under the supposed "cap" but for some reason other teams can recruit dally M stars like Roberts for under market value and have it be okay. For Christs sake he's not worth 300k and David mead is not worth 180k but then they get payouts from these TPA's and it's all okay. Our roster got massacred by the return of Sam burgess. It just pisses me off to be honest. With the salary cap in place it actually isn't a level playing field.

I know it turns sport into more of a business but having a limit on how much you can pay players is ridiculous and it's not good for the game. I don't watch NRL just to see Souths play i watch NRL because I love the game. Right now the game is so unbalanced because of this "salary cap" bullshit with some teams supposedly being allowed to go even higher than it, which is just ridiculous. We will never be a recognised sport until we remove this cap.
I completely agree with the last paragraph! I hate the whole argument that David Gallop took when he was CEO that it was about "evening out player talent'. The salary cap doesn't even out player talent, it thins it out! Moreover, its because of the salary cap that player loyalty have become an obsolete concept; you can't hold it against a player for chasing bigger money from other clubs but if you got rid of the salary cap, you wouldn't have that problem because clubs could give players what they were asking for. The concept is so anti-capitalist and completely contradicts the principles of having a competition!

Whether we like it or not sport is now a business, especially when players are getting paid. I think the NRL needs to accept this and encourage clubs to get their houses in order and start generating income for themselves instead of hiding behind the salary cap, making amateurish appoints in the board room and then relying on the NRL for help. I thought it was a great initiative that the NRL thought up a couple of years ago to have independent directors appointed to clubs to help with their running and Shane Richardson, when he was at the NRL in his role, was a massive proponent of wanting clubs being financially independent. Basically, the only way we are going to fix this problem of clubs being run in a ram-shackle manner is if the NRL doesn't come to their aid and withdraws their license should they fall into financial disarray. I guarantee that will stop clubs appointing ex-players to high-ranking positions of officialdom that they have no experience in nor are they qualified for.

rabbitohs95

Bench

If the salary cap was removed you'd see the same 4-5 teams winning it each year with some others not even getting a sniff of winning half of their games.

The salary cap is what makes rugby league an exciting spectacle, if teams manage it right then they can do great things.

Its the TPA's that need reviewing, not the cap itself.

southsport

First Grade
If the salary cap was removed you'd see the same 4-5 teams winning it each year with some others not even getting a sniff of winning half of their games.

The salary cap is what makes rugby league an exciting spectacle, if teams manage it right then they can do great things.

Its the TPA's that need reviewing, not the cap itself.

If the cap was removed there would have to be a player draft.

doyen

Bench
The AFL keep good control over things as they have both a draft & salary cap---the intro of the same kind of draft for the NRL would be a good start!!
GWS are in a good posse after a short time due to generous draft pick numbers[of the better players] initially to ensure they get established.They are a very good chance to win the flag this year.

The teams who finish lowly at season's end get the first grab at the best young players in the land in the National Draft for the next one,& so on,all the way up to the previous Premiers who get the last pick/s.
GWS will now get the slim pickings due to their success.

This is a good system which has a good chance of evening out the strength!

Open slather with money is never a good thing & should never happen!!

The AFL appear to invest their $$$ more wisely too than the NRL & in general keep close tabs on how clubs are run.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
The AFL keep good control over things as they have both a draft & salary cap---the intro of the same kind of draft for the NRL would be a good start!!
GWS are in a good posse after a short time due to generous draft pick numbers[of the better players] initially to ensure they get established.They are a very good chance to win the flag this year.

The teams who finish lowly at season's end get the first grab at the best young players in the land in the National Draft for the next one,& so on,all the way up to the previous Premiers who get the last pick/s.
GWS will now get the slim pickings due to their success.

This is a good system which has a good chance of evening out the strength!

Open slather with money is never a good thing & should never happen!!

The AFL appear to invest their $$$ more wisely too than the NRL & in general keep close tabs on how clubs are run.

Yes doyen that's how it works, but in the NRL the rich and powerful clubs have had too much influence and lobbied to have any draft ideas ignored.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Looks like Robbie's signing could already be upsetting the apple-cart!!

Of course,this was highly predictable.

It's the same old story--why keep a player if he has another great opportunity elsewhere & doesn't want to play at your club!
I'd say Cook has his mind well & truly made up so he & his manager will build a strong case to move to the Sharks.
How viable is a contract these days?? How pissed off is Cook going to be with Sths if they stand in his way?!!
I reckon we will be keeping Cook and playing him off the interchange.

Remember BRYSON wanted to go to the Titans for double money but he stayed.

Also look at the professionalism of BRYSON's performances for us. He got on with it.

We need to stand in his way.

Farah may not work out and Farah could very well get injured.

Madge ain't silly.
If Cook wants out he won't worry the least about being professional--he will just start missing training or talking trash about the coach;or whatever. There is always a means to an end to get your way these days!!

He doesn't have a list of potential suitors;supposedly he has one,the SHARKS--& I'll be surprised if they don't get him!!
Sths need to find another backup hooker who is quite happy to play second fiddle in the NSW Cup.

I think Cook has noticed the writing on the wall & wants out!! This is the reality--clubs tend to let players go in these circumstances!
I think Cook will stay professional just like BRYSON did. It shows they're honourable men.

I don't want Farah playing the 80.

doyen

Bench
You know it's true!!!!!

Exactly alien.

I think though that COOK wishes to be the No.1 hooker at the SHARKS & probably believes he'll get a better go there! He'd be playing in a very good side too that is looking like a longterm top 4 one!!

Afl have a draft and cap.

Same few teams have been winning it for a decade: hawthorn, swans, Eagles, Collingwood, cats.

It'll take one Afl player to argue draft and it'll be gone. But their players assoc see sense it. The rlpa should do the same re: draft.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Apparently adam R is asking for 800k to resign other clubs have put in massive offers souths are worried
We have made foran an offer which puts him close to his kids
Foran would cost a lot though too. Maybe more than AR.
Thanks handyman, this was always going to be the case with Reyno, we might have to let him go unfortunately.
We need to keep AR.

700k for the cap and 100k TPA's.

Remember Cody is on 250k.

1million or just under for our halves is allright.

Remember this season AR and Keary were on 500-550k each.

doyen

Bench
Afl have a draft and cap.

Same few teams have been winning it for a decade: hawthorn, swans, Eagles, Collingwood, cats.

It'll take one Afl player to argue draft and it'll be gone. But their players assoc see sense it. The rlpa should do the same re: draft.

I thinks it's good to have those stronger teams but supporters of all teams need to feel there is hope for their club.

GWS & the Western Bulldogs have given hope to their supporters at last.

Geelong is re-emerging as a genuine threat----the Swans are still there with a chance!!
The AFL desperately want it to work in Sydney so a lot of time & resources have been invested there.

Melbourne is making progress---Adelaide/West Coast also strengthening.

I think the draft,in particular,can make the difference!!

Football in the USA has a draft.

Hawthorn,the Swans & the other top clubs had their times in the wilderness. The Swans/Sth Melb.took 73 yrs to win a flag!!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't know how valid this is but Pablo a bloke who claims to have mail on another forum is saying that Souths are meeting with Foran today. The idea apparently is to let Cook go to Sharks and play Foran at 5/8 and Cody as utility off the bench. Pablo was saying that Foran doesn't want to go Warriors because too far from his family and has knocked back St George. Apparently it's down to Dogs and Souths with Souths meeting today. I hope this rumour is true.
I don't see how we would keep AR then.

It would be silly to let AR go. Just ludicrous actually.
Would rather not risk it with Foran. We have a good pairing of Reynolds and Walker, why risk giving that away? Probably just a rumour though...
Correctamundo R95.

We must have a lot of room under the cap if we are chasing someone like Foran
I can't see how lol.
Like I have said to you in my previous post - coaches make mistakes. Hence, it is more than possible Michael Maguire regrets not giving Cook a chance in the run-on team sooner in the season. Alternatively, you could also look at things from the flip side and argue that if Michael Maguire saw that much potential in McInnes, then he would have kept him and persevered with him into next season. The other thing you need to take into account is how much power Maguire has over signings. After the Raiders debacle, it was confirmed that his assistants and other backroom staff were sacked over his head and that Richardson was running things in the background. Now I'm not saying this is a foregone conclusion but there is a distinct possibility that players, including Robbie Farah, could have been signed over his head too.

In terms of Farah being in the starting squad, I don't think that is as much of an issue as you are making out. Remember, when he played for the Tigers this season he was coming off the bench, as he did at times last season as well and from all reports, quite enjoyed that role. So if starting games meant that much to him, then surely he would have left the Tigers long ago. Personally, at his age, I think he will be more than content with playing 40-50 minutes a game. Based on the way we play - with a hooker who runs out of dummy half in order to utilise our forwards strengths, it becomes paramount that we have two hookers because such a style of play can be particularly draining. Hence, Farah would almost be guaranteed a decent portion of games, albeit if he comes off the bench. Just on that, I actually think its quite beneficial for him coming off the bench as well as it will give him a chance to play against tired defenders - that is why the Cowboys do with Jake Granville with great success; you cannot deny that a crafty hooker, like Farah, would not benefit against tiring big men.

You seem to have massive issues over the hooker role and while it is your right to voice your opinion, you seem to fall into the trap of critiquing signings without proposing any viable alternatives. Like I said, if you can think of any viable alternatives to Farah then name them and we can analyse them. Furthermore, I've also explained to you using sound logic and concrete examples the impact that Cook has had on the team and why other players in the team have benefited from his performances. I'm not saying he transformed the teams on field fortunes on his own, nor do I think he was even our best player in a lot of those games. All I've said and implied is that his style of game is what the team needed. I just think you a) have something against Cook, b) are seeing something in McInnes that isn't there - maybe its because he is a souths junior and c) do not and will not accept any pro-Cook arguments regardless of how logical and justified they are.
I agree with most of what you say.

I see Cook as coming off the bench and coming on about 10mins before half time.

I think Farah will play 40-50mins and Cook about 30mins.

If we let Cook go it will be a big mistake.