What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Race to recover

Eelementary

Post Whore
[furrycat] said:
A day out from a massive game, I get smashed in the side of the right knee by a ball hit back at me while bowling and now my knee is the size of the ball. I think its just a cork but now I've got less than 15 hours to be fit and hopefully have little pain before tomorrow...

Whats the best thing I can do to at least look half-recovered?! :crazy: Will ice it every 2 hours and am using some quick fix magic cream on it, but whats the best thing to do tomorrow before playing?

Put some rice on it.

[furrycat]

Coach
I've been told its good news that the pain is only on the side that I was hit and not on the other side of the knee :crazy:...

Nevertheless I feel sorry for those who have chronic knee probs

Dani

Immortal
My knee is giving me hell tonight.
Knee's are the crappest things ever.

Get well soon plz.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So is it a bruise, or has the skin actually been broken?

Because if it's just a bruise, RICE is a good idea - but you may want to add a heat pack to it first, to get the blood flowing to the wound. After a while of heating it up, you can move to cold to counteract any swelling.

But the key would be compression and resting it. Elevation is helpful but not vital.

[furrycat]

Coach
Eelementary said:

Because if it's just a bruise, RICE is a good idea - but you may want to add a heat pack to it first, to get the blood flowing to the wound. After a while of heating it up, you can move to cold to counteract any swelling.

But the key would be compression and resting it. Elevation is helpful but not vital.

Initially it felt like it would be a bruise/slight cork. Been icing it and elevating it all night so tomorrow i'll just have to strap it up and see how it goes.

Tis painful and hard to walk on (cant run at all atm) but ill put that down to actual training.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Actually, as weird as it may sound, if it's painful to walk with the wound, it's a good sign. Means that, although you're hurt, you're still getting oxygenated blood into the affected (not effected) area.

Rest it up and you'll be sweet I reckon.

[furrycat]

Coach
Waking up today, I still pray that we bat because I don't think I'd have a chance in bowling a ball today.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
[furrycat] said:
:fist:

When you bowl it down at 130 and the f**ker hits it back at that speed, you don't
get time to react and it hurts :fist:

I would have caught it,

pussy

Stranger

Coach
Eelementary said:

Heat is not such a good idea when the wound is so fresh IIRC.

Going back to my PDH days, ice for the first 24-48 hours then apply heat. IIRC, applying heat so early will cause mass amounts of pain haha. The heat pushes more blood to the area which is not good if its still really swollen and that kinda stuff.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
furry, a cricketers best friend is a medication called Ibuprofen (sp?)

It reduces swelling, relieves pain, increases circulation in the affected area leading to a faster recovery.

I'm not sure if its available at a chemist, but it wouldn't hurt to have a look

Latest posts