What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

Misty Bee

First Grade
From Fox Sports website:

PARRAMATTA forward Dean Widders has accused a South Sydney player of making a racial slur against him during today's clash at Parramatta Stadium.

Widders, an Aboriginal footballer, did not make a formal complaint to the referee, but told Eels chief executive Dennis Fitzgerald after the match that the Souths player directed a derogatory comment towards him during the second half of today's match, which the Eels won 52-16.

Fitzgerald said he tried to organise a meeting between Widders and the player after the match, but the Parramatta second rower rejected the idea.

The player involved declined to comment on the incident, but Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said the club would wait to see how the situation developed.

"We take those sorts of things very, very seriously, it's as simple as that," Richardson said.

Widders will consider his options overnight before deciding whether to make an official complaint to the NRL, which needs to be made in writing by tomorrow.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley, who was at today's match, said the NRL could not take any action against the Souths player until the league had a received a formal complaint from Widders.

I noticed Widders saying something angrily to a prominent Souths player during the telecast. The commentary team picked upon it I think, and promptly avioded the incident?

I hopenothing coms of it for the games sake. For Widders sake, a model player if ever there was one, I hope that justice is served.

And for Souths, a club that has had considerable ties with the indigenous community, would be the last club one would expect handing out such rubbish.

I hope the apology is offerd, and accepted, before it blows up.

Interesting that. He absolutely blew up at a player he played with at another club during the match and I thought that was un Widders like. Hopefully a meeting a chat and an apology.

Stagger eel

Staff member
it was very un Widders like, he was clearly disturbed by the incident and went straight to our football manager Tony Zappia to report it straight away, he was also not that happy at the club.

In 4 years, i've never seen Dean react the way he did today on the field.

eelavation said:
it was very un Widders like, he was clearly disturbed by the incident and went straight to our football manager Tony Zappia to report it straight away, he was also not that happy at the club.

In 4 years, i've never seen Dean react the way he did today on the field.

No neither have I. Personally I hope he pursues it because it does not belong in our game actually it does not belong anywhere. If it is true then Souths have a big decision to make also because they have quite a few aboriginal players in there side too and are a club more so than any other that has had a lot to do with the aboriginal community and to have that clubs captain doing that I'm sure won't sit to well.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Southern Rooster said:
Eelavation just did as did channel 9.

I didn't really, but it's painfully obvious who it is and 2GB didn't have a problem putting Fletchers name forward as the alleged culprit.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Very bad move on Fletchers behalf, he is meant to be a captain and lead by example. South Sydney has a wide Aboriginal supporters base, im sure the juniors coming through wont be too happy.

scottyeel

Bench
Definitely not the headlines they need tomorrow while trying to attract quality players to the club.

bartman

Immortal
Southern Rooster said:
Interesting that. He absolutely blew up at a player he played with at another club during the match and I thought that was un Widders like. Hopefully a meeting a chat and an apology.

And a suspension if an official complaint is made and proved. There's no room for that rubbish in professional sport in this day and age.

bartman

Immortal
Harold Bishop said:
Very bad move on Fletchers behalf, he is meant to be a captain and lead by example. South Sydney has a wide Aboriginal supporters base, im sure the juniors coming through wont be too happy.
Didn't they have allegations about similar comments causing ructions at Souths during Langmack's reign? Not very smart stuff when you're club is playing and training and representing an area with proud traditions of involvement with their local aboriginal community.

Lego_Man

First Grade
bartman said:
And a suspension if an official complaint is made and proved. There's no room for that rubbish in professional sport in this day and age.

Suspension?

Pffft...

What are words? In this day an age people are far too sensitive...professional sport is a white-hot environment and you have to expect the occasional sledge.

Whether it be "i f**ked your wife", or "you dirty black", both are offensive, and both are intended to distract the opposition and put them off the game.

If it had been Widders calling Fletcher "white trash" noone would have batted an eyelid.

maelgwnau

Juniors
it wasen't a good move considering all of south's aboriginal fans in redfern. It was out of character but something must be done he needs to go for that kind of rubbish. The NRL need to make an example ot of this to make sure every1 knows it's not tolerated

Lego_Man said:
Suspension?

Pffft...

What are words? In this day an age people are far too sensitive...professional sport is a white-hot environment and you have to expect the occasional sledge.

Whether it be "i f**ked your wife", or "you dirty black", both are offensive, and both are intended to distract the opposition and put them off the game.

If it had been Widders calling Fletcher "white trash" noone would have batted an eyelid.

Tell me your Joking??