What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Racial slur in Parra v Souths match

innsaneink

Referee
hrundi99 said:
So given that Widders wasn't raped or shot he should think himself lucky?

I wonder what he'd choose given those options........ I know what Id choose....and it wouldnt be a bullet or my ringole tampered with.

Lego_Man

First Grade
shadow grinder said:
racism isnt like a punch ...the pain of a punch goes away....the pain of being racialy(sp) abused or whatever you call it...stays with you for a long time. i hope widders can move on from this is...

Maybe for a youngster getting picked on for years by his classmates, but this is a grown man...we don't need to fight his battles for him. He could have defended his honour by putting one on Fletcher's chin and i would have understood. Or he could have just retaliated with some verbals of his own, as is customary. Fletcher should not have made the call, there is no doubt about that. But its hardly a hanging offence.

azza

Juniors
Timbo get off the moral highground mate. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Of course there are worse things than the verbal abuse that goes on in a football match but people have every right to react adversely when the sledging becomes racially-oriented.

Timbo

Staff member
Like I said, I have had to deal with it. If I had a dollar for every time I was called 'white trash' or some equivalent I'd be a reasonably wealthy man. Do I let it effect me? No. It's a small minded individual making a stupid remark.

Sticks and stones....

fish eel

Immortal
nobody is saying he killed anyone Timbo, but it should still be regarded as a serious offence and I'd be saddened by anybody who would say oh gee its just a name.

sydraider

First Grade
I agree with ink, although I do not condone racism, cant anything just stay on the field FFS???
Cotton wool bound footballers these days!

hrundi99

First Grade
innsaneink said:
I wonder what he'd choose given those options........ I know what Id choose....and it wouldnt be a bullet or my ringole tampered with.

You have a strange way of looking at things...

ucantseeme

Juniors
i don't understand why so many of you see this as such a big deal, i think some people just enjoy getting on their high horse and pointing the finger at others to make themselves feel big.

this is just an incident of name calling,it should be water off a ducks back for any professional athlete. I'm not saying it should be open slather and players should abuse one another as much as they like but at the end of the day it is pretty trivial.

Eye gouging, biting, stomping, spear tackles and high shots are serious issues. Racial slurs are unpleasant but minor issues. A real man would just ignore it and get on with the game.

TooheysNew

Coach
Its not just name call. Its racism.

Theres a difference between calling people a stupid name and insulting their culture.

Lego_Man

First Grade
ucantseeme said:
i don't understand why so many of you see this as such a big deal, i think some people just enjoy getting on their high horse and pointing the finger at others to make themselves feel big.

this is just an incident of name calling,it should be water off a ducks back for any professional athlete. I'm not saying it should be open slather and players should abuse one another as much as they like but at the end of the day it is pretty trivial.

Eye gouging, biting, stomping, spear tackles and high shots are serious issues. Racial slurs are unpleasant but minor issues. A real man would just ignore it and get on with the game.

Indeed, i think an apology is sufficient.

hrundi99

First Grade
sydraider said:
I agree with ink, although I do not condone racism, cant anything just stay on the field FFS???
Cotton wool bound footballers these days!

There's a difference between name calling and racism.

Timbo

Staff member
The first grade footballers of days past must be doing cartwheels in their graves knowing what is considered a serious offence now.

If anyone thinks this is worse than the Hopoate shot on Galloway or Cross's gouge on Morrison I will buy a hat and eat it.

hrundi99

First Grade
ucantseeme said:

Ask Widders if he thinks it's minor.

His opinion is a lot more important on this issue than yours.

I feel plenty big already without being "validated" on a league forum mate.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I some what agree with the people that say its not the end of the world
as said, there are alot worse things that a bloke can be put through, if i had a massive tanty every time id been called a named, geez id be a missrable soul...

Racism is not to be encouraged, a 5k fine and a pubic apology would be fine, as ink said, i highly doubt he or any other indiginous person will lose much if any sleep over it. And Lego brought up a good point, if it was an aboriginal calling fletch a "peice of white trash" this thread wouldnt exist, if being called a name but an idiot in the heat of the moment is the worst thing that happens to him, he should consider himself lucky

hrundi99

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
Racism is not to be encouraged, a 5k fine and a pubic apology would be fine, as ink said, i highly doubt he or any other indiginous person will lose much if any sleep over it. And Lego brought up a good point, if it was an aboriginal calling fletch a "peice of white trash" this thread wouldnt exist, if being called a name but an idiot in the heat of the moment is the worst thing that happens to him, he should consider himself lucky

But 69 that scenario isn't what occurred.

If it did then it should be treated in exactly the same way.

Aboriginals are frequently abused because of their race, white folks aren't. If you were in their boat you'd get sick of it as well.

Timbo

Staff member
So we're saying if Fletcher had said 'you c***' instead of 'you black c***' it'd be ok?

I know which is the most offensive word in that sentence. And it isn't black.

Latest posts