What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

radio commentary

gregstar

Referee
do you find the 'over the top' radio commentary annoying?

it seems to be getting worse each season.

i'm probably out of step with the rest, but i find the edge-of-your-seat efforts by commentators incredibly annoying. they dress up a run-of-the-mill play into some fantastic effort unseen in the annuls of rugby league history. when you see the play on the tele, it's standard or crap.

i much prefer low key commentary that simply describes the play & if it is worthy of excitement - so be it.

even though he was a yawnion man, i found jim maxwell's efforts to be far superior to the current mob.

if league commentary returned to simple description & analysis, would it be that boring?

Eels Dude

Coach
It does get over the top at times. But the radio commentators have to be a lot more lively as opposed to television commentators because they understand those listening to them aren't watching the game and have to give a lot more emphasis to big plays to convey that excitement to the listener. I find the Triple J monday night commentator overdoes way to much, but the rest do a reasonable job at least commentary wise.

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah he sounds like one of those people on TV advertisements for Demolition derbys at Parramatta speedway, or those ones for warehouse weekend sales "Massive Savings! Designer brands up to 80% off! That's up to 80% off Nike, Reebok, Adidas! This weekend only! 2 days only! This is your last chance! Don't miss out!"

jonno_knights

Juniors
Well the ABC guys who generally do the regional games (Nth Queensland, NZ, Newcastle, Canberra etc) can be a little over the top at times, but it may be because they get overexcited as they are usually commentating the teams they support.

On a similar note, one of the guys who was commentating the Cowboys game tonight really struggles with his commentary though. I think it may have been Laurie Spina, just has problems speaking fluently. Nothing against the guy as sometimes I have the same trouble from time to time, but he is commentating on a national broadcaster, and its quite difficult to listen too.

Still, Radio commentary still beats the wankfest on CH9 whenever Hayne/Marshall does anything remotely good.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Yeah he sounds like one of those people on TV advertisements for Demolition derbys at Parramatta speedway, or those ones for warehouse weekend sales "Massive Savings! Designer brands up to 80% off! That's up to 80% off Nike, Reebok, Adidas! This weekend only! 2 days only! This is your last chance! Don't miss out!"

I think thats the kind of thing they are aiming for though, especially when every aspect of the game has a sponsor :lol:. Not too different from TV, but without the visual aids, the sponsors have to be emphasized so much its irritating to listen too.

Its good to see Johns and Sterlo in particular have a bit more freedom not commentating to a massive audience, but Dan Ginnane just seems like he is trying to impress both of them.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I wonder how commentary for the cricket would go if it was more "lively"

I just had an idea. Skull O'Keefe for NRL games.

That would all f**king time!

Pair him with the great Peter Wilkins. Get back to it Pete. Get out of the office and do us all a favor.

adamkungl

Immortal
I like radio commentary in general. 2GB, ABC, Triple M all do a reasonable job imo. Far more enjoyable than the Ch9 crew.

_snafu_

Immortal
I agree with the OP. Sometimes I listen to the radio while watching the TV and some commentators seem to go ape shit commentating on some pretty innocuous plays - especially Dan Ginnane.

Although not radio commentary, the banter between Gus and Rabs particularly shits me.

Yabby

Juniors
On a similar note, one of the guys who was commentating the Cowboys game tonight really struggles with his commentary though. I think it may have been Laurie Spina, just has problems speaking fluently. Nothing against the guy as sometimes I have the same trouble from time to time, but he is commentating on a national broadcaster, and its quite difficult to listen too.

Spot on - it is Laurie Spina. I live in Townsville and always listen to the ABC calls of the Cowboys home game, and poor old Laurie cannot string two coherent words together.

They used to have him up in the box as the colour commentator but he's been shunted to the sideline for the last few years. I suspect they keep him on because he's a top bloke and the inaugral Cowboys captain, but as a commentator he is the worst I have heard.

Last edited:

IanG

Coach
Well the ABC guys who generally do the regional games (Nth Queensland, NZ, Newcastle, Canberra etc) can be a little over the top at times, but it may be because they get overexcited as they are usually commentating the teams they support.

ABC Take the broadcast from Radio Sport NZ for matches in New Zealand. So not ABC

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I was listening to the coverage from Nth Qld last night - Is it just me or is Grant Bell a voice double of Laurie Daley?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd rather hear a commentator going a bit mental than a boring monotone one tbh

Saints fan

Juniors
I usually listen to all eight games on the radio and find the ABC commentators to be the best. David, Warren and Craig make me feel as though I am sitting in the grandstand watching the game and I have found Daniel Anderson to be very insightful as well. Their pre and post game coverage is great too. On the other hand, Andrew Moore is an absolute shocker, especially when one team is playing badly. And Richard Svenson always sounds like he is going to lose his voice any minute.

I can't stand the radio these days for so many reasons but when I do, I get annoyed when Warren Ryan carries on about a play (or tells a story from 30 years ago) while the play is happening so you have no idea what is going on. How hard is it to tell us what is happening in the game?

Leave the analysis to the break, the breaks in play and after the game.

Last edited:

Hooch

Juniors
Spot on - it is Laurie Spina. I live in Townsville and always listen to the ABC calls of the Cowboys home game, and poor old Laurie cannot string two coherent words together.

They used to have him up in the box as the colour commentator but he's been shunted to the sideline for the last few years. I suspect they keep him on because he's a top bloke and the inaugral Cowboys captain, but as a commentator he is the worst I have heard.

Did you hear it last night? Spina babbling away in a muted tone in the background for about 5 sec, then the host says ... 'Turn your mike on Laurie!' :lol:

Latest posts