What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Coach - the odds?

Bomber

Bench
Sorry for intruding into your hallowed forum as a Cowboys fan ;-) but after reading the following article, I got thinking about the coaching position at the Raiders.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18241060-23214,00.html

Lowe covets Raiders job
By Brent Read
February 23, 2006

FORMER Queensland coach Graham Lowe has expressed an interest in re-igniting his career at Canberra.

Lowe, who guided the Maroons in the early 1990s, revealed he spoke with Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett and ex-Manly and Australia mentor Bob Fulton before formally applying for the Raiders post on Friday night.

Lowe has also applied for the Newcastle job, to be vacated by Michael Hagan at the end of the season.

"I rang Wayne Bennett last week just to run it off him," Lowe said from New Zealand last night.

"I said, 'I am considering doing this, what's your reaction to it'? He told me a few things had changed. (But) he certainly didn't dissuade me from doing it."

The Raiders are in no rush to make a decision on who will replace Matt Elliott next season.

Chris Anderson - a premiership winner with Canterbury and Melbourne - is understood to be favourite.

Former Brisbane assistant Kevin Walters has also applied, while North Queensland Cowboys assistant Neil Henry expressed his interest yesterday.

Lowe, 59, began his coaching career in New Zealand in the late 1970s before rising to prominence at the helm of Brisbane Norths. He was the Kiwis' national coach from 1983-86 and spent three years at Manly (1990-92) and a season at North Queensland (1996).
However, he hasn't coached at the top level since leaving the Cowboys.

The Australian

Now, obviously all of you would have a far better idea about this than I would, but if I were a bookmaker, here are my odds for who would be the next Raiders coach:

7/2 - Chris Anderson

4/1 - David Furner

6/1 - Kevin Walters

7/1 - Brian Smith

20/1 - Graham Lowe

25/1 - John Lang, Neil Henry

50/1 - Ricky Stuart, Tim Sheens

5000/1 - raider69 ;-)

Discuss and revise as you wish

Raider_69

Post Whore
ill throw a buck on myself
ive emailed the Don registering my interest in the position, awaiting the call now... any minute now :)

seriously though, id get on Brian Smith at 7/1

skeepe

Immortal
David Furner would be about 1,000,000,000,000,000/1 as he has stated he will not apply.

Boing Boing

Juniors
I remember being abused on this forum for suggesting that Dave Furner would not get the job, because it was against popular opinion.

skeepe

Immortal
I have similar memories. I simply asked why Furner would definitely be our next coach as so many liked to say, and was patronisingly informed that it was obvious to all but the blind.

Or words to that effect anyway.

Raider Azz

Bench
Boing Boing said:
I remember being abused on this forum for suggesting that Dave Furner would not get the job, because it was against popular opinion.
haha, no one abused you you sook. not everyone is cool like you and has "inside info" on the coaching positions, so at the time all signs pointed to furner.

but yeah, furner won't be coach.

Boing Boing

Juniors
skeepe said:
I have similar memories. I simply asked why Furner would definitely be our next coach as so many liked to say, and was patronisingly informed that it was obvious to all but the blind.

Or words to that effect anyway.

Yeah, spot on mate.

I like being proved right.

Raider_69

Post Whore
before Furner stated he wasnt applying he was odds on to take the role
all signs pointed to him and had he registered his interest you can bet your arse he'd be our coach, so thats why people questioned you when you said he wouldnt be

as said, not all of us have the inside scoop :p

Boing Boing

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
before Furner stated he wasnt applying he was odds on to take the role
all signs pointed to him and had he registered his interest you can bet your arse he'd be our coach, so thats why people questioned you when you said he wouldnt be

as said, not all of us have the inside scoop :p

heh, yeah I must admit, I'm kind of like "New Idea" to the Raiders! :)

Macko8

Juniors
nickraider said:
A below par coach (10 years ago) who wants to come to Canberra and make some easy retirement money by the sounds of it!!

ahh k no chance than.