What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Coach - the odds?

Hurriflatch

Referee
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Br...0670192599.html

Brian Smith linked to Hull return
February 23, 2006 - 3:49PM

Departing Parramatta coach Brian Smith has been linked with his former English Super League home Hull.

And veteran St George Illawarra lock Shaun Timmins may follow.

Speculation is rife that Smith - to be replaced at Parramatta by Newcastle's Michael Hagan next year - is being eyed by the Super League club after Hull stalled on re-signing current coach John Kear.

Hull raised eyebrows when it decided to postpone a decision on Kear - who is off contract at the end of the season - until May.

While Kear guided Hull to 2005 Challenge Cup glory in the club's first major trophy success in 23 years, rumours abound that Smith - in charge of Hull from 1988-90 - will return.

Hull chief executive David Plummer tried to hose down speculation but could not elaborate on why the club had postponed a decision on Kear for three months.

"It has been well publicised that Brian Smith will be out of contract at the end of the season," he told The Hull Daily Mail newspaper.

"The situation with John is that he is under contract until the end of the season and we have to make a decision on extending his contract before the end of May and that is what we will do.

"I can see why all this speculation has come about. John is out of contract, so is Brian Smith, and he is also a former Hull coach."

Kear is in his second season as Hull coach after taking over from Shaun McRae, the current South Sydney mentor.

The departing Eels coach has criss-crossed from England to Australia throughout his career.

After holding the Illawarra reins (1984-87), he moved to Hull then St George (1991-95) and back to England (Bradford, 1996) before landing at Parramatta in 1997.

Smith has also been linked to Canberra which will lose current coach Matthew Elliott to Penrith next year.

Smith was reportedly one of eight candidates who have already expressed interest to Raiders general manager Don Furner.

Meanwhile, Plummer said the club was "keeping our options open" over making another approach to hulking lock Timmins, one of more than 20 Dragons players off-contract at the end of 2006.

Timmins knocked back a Hull offer last year but has made it clear he wants to play out his career in England from 2007.

Hull will have a vacancy in its three-strong overseas player quota when former Dragons winger Nathan Blacklock retires at the end of the season.

"When we approached Timmins last time he wanted to see out his contract with the Dragons this year," Plummer said.

"We are aware that he now wants to come to England next season but as far as we are concerned it is a bit early to make any decision.

"Obviously, we're not ruling out any player at this time and if a real superstar came on the market then it would more than likely change the way we're thinking."

© 2006 AAP

skeepe

Immortal
Not if the bit that says:

Smith was reportedly one of eight candidates who have already expressed interest to Raiders general manager Don Furner.

is to be believed.

skeepe

Immortal
Anyone else having trouble thinking who the 8 or 9 candidates are?

Collins
Walters
Anderson
Smith
Henry
Lowe

After that I'm faltering.

paulquinn49

Bench
skeepe said:
Anyone else having trouble thinking who the 8 or 9 candidates are?

Collins
Walters
Anderson
Smith
Henry
Lowe

After that I'm faltering.

Basically anyone who was ever linked to the job at one point imo

So you could include

Furner
Sheens
Lang

Interesting to note that tonight on the Channel 10 news they said that there were 11 applicants at this stage for the Raiders coaching position.

:shock:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Collins
Walters
C.Anderson
D.Anderson
Smith
Henry
Lowe
Stuart
Lance
Lang
Sheens

that'd be my guess... probably way way out!! :lol:

always a raider

Juniors
Wayne Collins wants to coach Raiders

Friday, February 24, 2006 - 7:55 PM

By Adrian Proszenko and Kylie Williams

Canberra assistant Wayne Collins has put his hand up to take over as coach of the Raiders for next season as the number of candidates for the post ballooned to 11 on Friday.

But the former Canberra hooker, who played for the Green Machine between 1988-90, believes he is unlikely to get the nod after the Raiders indicated they were after a high-profile mentor to help attract players to the nation's capital.

"I'm hoping one day I get a shot at coaching in the NRL," Collins said.

"I've been here as a player and a coach for most of my career.

"I've said to the club if they want me to coach the team I will.

"If they came to me next week and said `do you want to put in for it', I'd love to do it.

"I'd love to get a shot, to be interviewed for it, but they haven't done that and have made it pretty clear they are after a more high-profile coach to fill the role."

Collins, who worked closely with the likes of superstar prop Stuart Fielden while coaching Bradford's development squad during a coaching stint in the UK, said he would relish the chance to take over the first grade side after overseeing the premier league squad between 2001-4.

"I think the transition would be fairly smooth, there's no doubt about that," he said.

"I'm still a young coach and I'm looking forward to learning more and more each year. When is too little and when is too much to be an NRL coach, I'm not sure."

After being knocked back by Wests Tigers coach Sheens and failing to re-sign Penrith-bound Matthew Elliott, Furner said there were still plenty of quality applicants to consider.

"It's a fairly long list actually so we'll really have to sit down probably with the senior players and the board next week and go through that list and get feed back," he said.

"I don't think it'll be happening in the next week or so, it might take two or three weeks but we're still working along that line.

"I would imagine in the next four to five weeks we'll know what we're doing."

Captain Clinton Schifcofske said he hoped the senior players would remain informed of any developments.

"I'm sure like Donny said they're going to keep us informed about where they're at and what they're doing and just hopefully we're going to get the right man for the job and I'm sure we will," he said.

Meanwhile, the club secured a sponsor ahead of the NRL season, with telecommunications company Fone Zone renewing its position as major backer.

The Raiders had been in danger of being the only NRL club without a sponsor after Fone Zone, the major sponsor for the past two seasons, scaled back its commitment.

Furner admitted the club would benefit little financially from the deal.

"It wasn't a huge financial thing for us," Furner said.

"It was more for morale for the team and the town.

"We would have been the only club to take the field without a major sponsor."

Canberra has struggled for exposure on free-to-air television, making the task of securing sponsorship even more difficult.

The Raiders had just three matches on commercial television last year, despite their blistering start to the season.

sydraider

First Grade
If we sign someone the likes of say smith or opes, what do you think will happen to snoopy?

legend

Coach
He'll join the rest of the peanuts gang or will be found sleeping on top of his kennel.

cooba

Juniors
Crookwell Witch Wants Sticky As Next Coach.
The Crookwell Witch appeared at Sieffert Oval this afternoon, proclaiming she will do everything in her power to get Ricky back to her beloved Raiders.(she didn't even mention the F---- word ,stating her hex on the Roosters worked.
F---- = Finch

sydraider

First Grade
cooba said:
Crookwell Witch Wants Sticky As Next Coach.
The Crookwell Witch appeared at Sieffert Oval this afternoon, proclaiming she will do everything in her power to get Ricky back to her beloved Raiders.(she didn't even mention the F---- word ,stating her hex on the Roosters worked.
F---- = Finch

Gotta love the crookwell witch! :lol:

Leethal

Juniors
Add Brian Noble to the list of potential coaches. He's done alright in the ESL hasn't he?

Latest posts