What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders game.

Illusion

Bench
yes our forwards will have to do the job in this game. no if's, or but's or excuses, start the way they did last game and keep the intensity up for a full 80 min, switch off and we are done for, WIN holds no fear for the raiders and usually they get good support there as well. I'm still not happy with the team selection, especially woods, but here we go its on Hook now lets see what the back half of the season brings for us this year compared to previous ones. This is a must win game !!!!
This is a very important game , and if they are really thinking of playing in semi final footy , no excuses must find a way to win this ...... If its a loss well the season IMO is close to over ......

Ghostrider22

Juniors
All very true dungay dragon. The hardest thing as I see it is getting all of the "ducks" in order for the fruits of success to follow. We have written volumes about "getting the front office set up first" and to me it was unfortunate that Paul Smith of Total Sport and Entertainment "lost out" to the WIN Corp to buy out the Steelers. Having a guy like Smith in the "penthouse" a couple of years ago would have had us set up nicely for the future by now.

Whatever the future holds for this club, I hope that it comes with great success.
You so right Dragon Dave, Total Sport should have won hands down except for Mr Doust, the board and Illawarra mafia they were not going to allow to have an outsider come and everything.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Dave
The better Clubs , unlike us and others, are too professionally run .
They make astute buys when needed , like for like replacements and continue on their successful way
Look at Storm ...everyone said they would fall over when the big four left , but they are still a major force , with astute purchases and systems in place
In my opinion we desperately need someone to take over the WIN side of the partnership and pour funds into us once again becoming a major force...
Those at WIN bought out the Steelers as a novelty , a play thing and have contributed stuff all since....
To be successful and competitive you must be ruthless in your endeavors to get there
You get your front office set up first , with the best personell available .Our CEO Webb appears to be dedicated to the cause but is obviously hamstrung by the old boys brigade
Astute player purchases
Look at how the better Clubs do it
They have 2 or 3 800k plus genuine players as the nucleus and build the squad around them .
What do we do .With the exception of Hunt , we throw copious amounts of cash at players like Norman , Simms, Graham , McGuire , lomax etc etc
Continued poor player signings are killing us..Yet those who have been responsible are still there with cheque book in hand .Answerable to no one
You have to have the drive to get down n dirty to survive .
There are definite glimmers of hope shining through , but these could also be lost through poor management and inept coaching staff
Once you get all your ducks in order , the fruits of success will follow.
The Saints did that long before the likes of Melbourne, Frank Facer was so far ahead of his time, pity he’s not here now with us, John Fleming followed Frank and was the same. We are so poorly managed it’s sickening to be honest.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Saints did that long before the likes of Melbourne, Frank Facer was so far ahead of his time, pity he’s not here now with us, John Fleming followed Frank and was the same. We are so poorly managed it’s sickening to be honest.
Yes, I remember John Fleming. He too was great for us as part of the Dragons set up and the Secretary at the club. He was in charge of the Dragons when we won the 1979 grand final against the Bulldogs.

We have just come - a - cropper with our joint venture merger with Illawarra. When you have separate entities coming together without wanting to give an inch, success becomes a failure. Each member needs to be working together as a team just as the players have had to.

Where are those sorts of guys like Facer and Fleming now? If these current bods cannot work together then we need someone with lots of clout who is a Dragons tragic to challenge them all and stand up and deliver.

Our success depends on how we are run. It is not rocket science.

Parko1310

Juniors
It’s going to be raining in the Gong on Sunday.. and hard. We used to play so well in the rain but no so much now. I’ve just gotten more nervous for Sunday…

kit66

Bench
It's disheartening to see us run with the same bench that let us down so badly last outing. We were killing it until Woods and F.Molo came on. We should replace Sharon and M.Molo with Kerr and J.Hunt to at least give us some impact in defence and attack off the bench.
I wonder if the boys can fire up like they did last game, throw it around, go wide and play up tempo from the kick off. They really need to against the big Green pack, really fast play the balls and run hard and kick well to keep turning Papali and Co around. We're in the 8 courtesy of a bye the 3 teams below us are yet to have so a great opportunity to kick ahead for real this week.

Dragons by 7

jeffdragon

Bench
It’s going to be raining in the Gong on Sunday.. and hard. We used to play so well in the rain but no so much now. I’ve just gotten more nervous for Sunday…
Yes.
Not a good forecast.
Sharks game comes to mind.
They should open the stands if there are spare seats for the fans who are usually on the hill.

seriously. thanks for everyone not jumping on the fact that the illawarra steelers are celebrating 40 years this coming sunday.

yep we would all like to still have 'our teams' but the illawarra still produces so many great juniors.

for somebody that supported the steelers from day one in 1982 it's great to see our side of the joint venture enjoy a moment in the sun (or in this case the rain).

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
seriously. thanks for everyone not jumping on the fact that the illawarra steelers are celebrating 40 years this coming sunday.

yep we would all like to still have 'our teams' but the illawarra still produces so many great juniors.

for somebody that supported the steelers from day one in 1982 it's great to see our side of the joint venture enjoy a moment in the sun (or in this case the rain).
As someone from the St George area, I definitely can't understate how much Illawarra/SC region has contributed in terms of players to this proud club. Morris, Hornby, Cooper, Creagh, are just a few who were from that area when we won in 2010. Hopefully Lomax, Amone, Sullivan, Sloan etc will help get us that premiership soon as well!

Crush

Coach
Dragons paying $2.25 and Raiders $1.65. Surely the dragons would be favourites down at the Gong right? What am I missing?
Form mate.
Raiders have been playing more consistently than Dragons. We’ve been good in patches but also terrible in others.
Raiders have been playing overall better footy more consistently.
And they have a good record of beating us at WIN I think.
The odds are where I would put them.

Illusion

Bench
Form mate.
Raiders have been playing more consistently than Dragons. We’ve been good in patches but also terrible in others.
Raiders have been playing overall better footy more consistently.
And they have a good record of beating us at WIN I think.
The odds are where I would put them.
Crush they have to backup their last win , or it will all have been for nothing .....

justadragon

Juniors
It's disheartening to see us run with the same bench that let us down so badly last outing. We were killing it until Woods and F.Molo came on. We should replace Sharon and M.Molo with Kerr and J.Hunt to at least give us some impact in defence and attack off the bench.
I wonder if the boys can fire up like they did last game, throw it around, go wide and play up tempo from the kick off. They really need to against the big Green pack, really fast play the balls and run hard and kick well to keep turning Papali and Co around. We're in the 8 courtesy of a bye the 3 teams below us are yet to have so a great opportunity to kick ahead for real this week.

Dragons by 7
Yes I'd like to see that style as well, but unfortunately it will be a very wet track as expected, so Im thinking this will be a grind it out game, with hopefully a bit of luck going our way. Now that Manly have thrown us out of the 8, this game becomes even more of a pressure cooker, tbh i can only see a couple of points in it either way.

Last edited: