What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders game.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree with some of your points
But I don't think we should just disect the last minute of a game
Annesley should call out all bad calls or none
There was a clear cut forward pass missed 3 tackles earlier
It's likely Annesley didn’t watch the game. To be fair he's not able to watch every game, every weekend.
The way it works is that there'll be a complaint and/or media scrutiny about an isolated event. Otherwise he wouldn't bother. He will then look at the actual incident and issue a statement based on his observation and the best PR outcome.
I know, it's the tail wagging the dog. But unfortunately it has been like that for longer than anyone can remember.

St Tangles

Bench
It's likely Annesley didn’t watched the game. To be fair he's not able to watch every game, every weekend.
The way it works is that there'll be a complaint and/or media scrutiny about an isolated event. Otherwise he wouldn't bother. He will then look at the actual incident and issue a statement based on his observation and the best PR outcome.
I know, it's the tail wagging the dog. But unfortunately it has been like that for longer than anyone can remember.
Agreed good summary

be55

Juniors
Why should I march down to NRL headquarters? I'm delighted with the result.
Shouldn't that be you given you didn't get the result you wanted?

I'll take it by that comment that you're insinuating that i wanted us to be beaten, which is a comment almost too stupid for words and below someone of your stature in this place. For the record here's my original post...

Great to see them get the win and move on to next week but...

The standard of the refereeing of the game at the moment has never been so bad. Hunt should have been penalised twice on that last play. Once for the flop on a clearly tackled player, and again for not being square at marker. And that happened smack bang in front of the referee. Sticky will go ape shit at the presser and you wouldn't blame him. If that happened to us we'd be out for blood...

I'll still take the 2 points though 😁

All i was saying was that we dodged a massive bullet at the end of the game because the standard of the refereeing at the moment is disgraceful. Something that was plain for all to see who have decent eyesight and a functioning brain. But this is a footy forum so unbiased commentary was probably always going to go down like lead balloon.

ozbuck

Juniors
So disappointing listening to Annersley and the muppets on Fox.

Laughable that Hunt was allegedly guilty of up to 3 infringements.

Media bias in favour of Robinson and Stuart is embarrassing.

They have isolated the last play of the game and ignored the many other wrong decisions made during the game.

He was guilty of 3 infringements. Go look at the replay...or the NRL.com referee overview from today. you can see clearly that Hunt was called out 3 times for infringments. He was well offside on the final tackle, and then he flopped on that tackle too. Its not laughable...it just seems that way because he wears the same colours as we support.

ozbuck

Juniors
I agree with some of your points
But I don't think we should just disect the last minute of a game
Annesley should call out all bad calls or none
There was a clear cut forward pass missed 3 tackles earlier
I didnt see the forward pass but youre probably right that it was forward...theres plenty of those every game.. some get pulled up, some dont. again it washes up around 50/50 at the end of the year

it sucks when the refs get it wrong but from my perspective, expecting them to not get decisions wrong or being pissed off about it when they do is just stupid. I get pissed off too dont worry, but then i snap out of it because I remember theyre just human too.

the media and social media is all about be "infuriated" and spiking peoples emotions.

sport is a form of drama. bad ref calls are part of that drama. back before video refs and super slow mo replays bad calls were just something that happened and everyone got on with the game. now every one loves being a victim and causing a fuss about.

if people dont want ref calls getting in the way, go watch snooker or darts.

bad ref calls? such is life

St Tangles

Bench
I didnt see the forward pass but youre probably right that it was forward...theres plenty of those every game.. some get pulled up, some dont. again it washes up around 50/50 at the end of the year

it sucks when the refs get it wrong but from my perspective, expecting them to not get decisions wrong or being pissed off about it when they do is just stupid. I get pissed off too dont worry, but then i snap out of it because I remember theyre just human too.

the media and social media is all about be "infuriated" and spiking peoples emotions.

sport is a form of drama. bad ref calls are part of that drama. back before video refs and super slow mo replays bad calls were just something that happened and everyone got on with the game. now every one loves being a victim and causing a fuss about.

if people dont want ref calls getting in the way, go watch snooker or darts.

bad ref calls? such is life
Agreed

Generally evens out

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'll take it by that comment that you're insinuating that i wanted us to be beaten, which is a comment almost too stupid for words and below someone of your stature in this place. For the record here's my original post...
I don't care which team you support. Why should I?
I asked a question.
be55" said:
All i was saying was that we dodged a massive bullet at the end of the game because the standard of the refereeing at the moment is disgraceful. Something that was plain for all to see who have decent eyesight and a functioning brain. But this is a footy forum so unbiased commentary was probably always going to go down like lead balloon.
That's very righteous of you.
Look, my brain is functioning fine. Putting other people down for disagreeing with you is not cool.
You think you know the only truth. Well good for you. Celebrate the victory anyway you like.

If I'm one-eyed, so be it. I don't give a shit and make no apologies for sticking up for Saints. I'll also celebrate anyway I like, with or without your blessing.

But on this occasion I'm aware enough to see that the better team got the points on the day. Ben Hunt won us the game. He was clearly player of the match and has probably gone further ahead in the Dally Ms, much to the chagrin of some.

And on that point, schadenfreude has kicked in. Crush the losers and watch them wipe their salty tears. When they scream foul, it's like we won two games.

redv13

Bench
At the end of the day Wighton killed their chances multiple times especially with his failure to find the line from a penalty kick which would have had us under the pump with at least 5 mins to go.
Saints have been dudded countless times already this season. Watching the fox commentary of Warren Smith and Steve Roach and it was all about Canberra and basically how f**king useless Saints are. Big bag of dicks you merkins

be55

Juniors
That's very righteous of you.
Look, my brain is functioning fine. Putting other people down for disagreeing with you is not cool.
Totally agree...

It's been an up and down week or so for me in my family life. But that is no excuse for posting smart arse derogatory comments. Far from my finest hour...

Sorry mate...

My bad and sincerest apologies.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
f**k the Raiders
f**k Stewart
f**k the whinging whining press

The Raiders had their chances and blew them despite them getting more than their fair share of calls and leniency from the ref and bunker

Like or dislike Hook at least he has our side playing tough and not the sooky la la, lay down shit tactics other teams employ

Bank the 2 points and march onwards and upwards.
Well said OT....its a pity the press didnt comment on how may head high hits Stickys boys got away with isnt it

Gareth67

First Grade
It was pleasing to see the players do the hard yards in defence which showed that they do possess some grit .

As a result the win lifted the Dragons to clear 8th position on the ladder and away from the ‘also-rans’ of the competition like the rorters .

Just goes to show you that money cannot buy you everything. ☺️

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Totally agree...

It's been an up and down week or so for me in my family life. But that is no excuse for posting smart arse derogatory comments. Far from my finest hour...

Sorry mate...

My bad and sincerest apologies.
That's entirely alright and no apology neccessary. It's just a forum and nothing like the important things in life. Hope all is well and best wishes.

Nanadragon

Juniors
Well, as expected, we got a mention on NRL360 last night. All because of the controversy about our win. Had almost given up watching it as it has been all about the Tigers, ad nauseum, lately.
Said to hubby, they'll talk about us tonight because it's controversial.
And, of course, Crawley wrote about it in the paper.
Only time we get any publicity at all is when it's controversial against us.

Dragons154

Juniors
Imagi
The infridgement was the flop. straight down the line infringment.

mulitple infridgements in a row can result in a penalty being blown and the player can be sent for 10 at the same time. this is what the NRL say shouldve happened (the penalty, maybe 10 in the bin too).

Have a look at the replays - hunt was definitely not totally square, he was poking the side of his body around the play the ball. It was close, but definitely deserved a penalty. If that had been ben hunt tackled with us down by 2 you would not be here saying that raiders player was square, no way. that little thing called emotion gets in the way of our perception sometimes.

McCullough...fair try? you're basing that off what?...the channel 9 replay played at full speed and youre able to tell in a 100th of of a second that the ball DEFINITELY touched the grass!?! hahaha. I even slow-mo'd the footage and have no idea if it touched. more angles and proper slow mo is needed for anyone to claim whether or not it was a "fair try". dead set! but your mind has made you believe it was 100% a try because......your a saints supporter and it looked like damn close.

And people here are still talking about the Melbourne game down in Melbourne when they played the ball a split second after the siren had gone off. Again, a 50/50 call......and guess who remembers being "cheated": the good old "poor bugger me victim" saints supporters.

They go both ways at the end of the day.

Remember us going over the sideline just before our first try in the 2010 Grand Final? the BIGGEST game of the year and we get 6 points we should never have got. Still everyone remembers the other 50% of the calls that don't go our way with photographic memeory hahahaha. The human mind is a bastard sometime

Wow the whinging.
Canberra have not been upto task all year. the simple facts are that Canberra couldn’t win the game.

the Wighton to Amone try assist is evidence of that.
Raiders are simply a lazy team trying desperate trick shots to rectify a diabolical start to the year instead of doing the hard yards to rite the ship.

redv13

Bench
Well, as expected, we got a mention on NRL360 last night. All because of the controversy about our win. Had almost given up watching it as it has been all about the Tigers, ad nauseum, lately.
Said to hubby, they'll talk about us tonight because it's controversial.
And, of course, Crawley wrote about it in the paper.
Only time we get any publicity at all is when it's controversial against us.
Crawley is only banging on about it as his brother is an assistant to Sticky.