What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Post Match Reaction

Skinner

Coach
Martli said:
No need to turn this into a "my club is better than your club" debate. We lost to a team we shouldn't have lost to and probably underestimated them in the process--lets move on and concentrate on beating manly...

That is a very good response Martli.

Rovelli

Bench
Disappointed.

Conceivable that we lose to Manly next week and then MUST beat Penrith to ensure a finals spot.

Iafeta

Referee
KeepingTheFaith said:
Crockett I've never rated. Aside from speed he's got nothing imo. Suspect under the higball, offers nothing in attack as far as general play goes. For those who can see Lions games how close is Solomona to first grade standard? Sounds like he's got the speed plus a little extra in general play if speed is so important. I'd still prefer Ah Van though.

Rapira isn't having the same impact as he was in earlier matches. I think he's starting to struggle a little in the starting spot. It is just his first full season so that would be expected. Evarn and Lauaki are continue to impress from the bench.

I thought our service from dummy half was absolute sh!t last night. It didn't get much better from our halves on the few times we tried to spin it wide. There was a real feeling of impatience and tension from a team that knew how close they were to a top four spot after the Eels lost on Friday.

If we make the finals I can see us really going back into our shell and trying to grind out wins. Boring football like we were playing in our 6 week slump. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm concerned we may become very limited in our attacking options come finals time.

Drove three hours each way, booked a hotel and all.. same result as my last road trip. A shattering loss in the final five minutes.

On Ah Van and Solomona, showed nothing in Premier League. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Solomona touched the ball maybe twice all night. One was a bomb which he defused (luckily, because he looked horrible under it, and tapped it back and got lucky with a rebound bounce)... Ah Van, slippery footwork in that he couldn't keep his feet through most of the game, and was largely dominated. He needs to either put on a few pounds or try and find a bit more speed at this stage.

In fact, in the Premier League game (where the Lions were smashed, they were down 30- with 10 to go) the only players to really impress were Upu Poaching and Constantine Mika. When they came on, they made the world of difference and sparked the Lions attack. They broke through tackles, got away offloads. There were some other notable features, Scotty Jones has a very good tackle technique but hands like the ball is a cake of soap, Sonny Fai is a strong boy with good ball skills, but missed a couple of lazy tackles close to the line, one which led directly to their first or second try... Leeson Ah Mau is a good runner, but jersey grabbed a couple of times in D, and Lance Hohaia simply didn't get close to stepping up to the mark. From what I saw, the hype in Miguel Start is extremely over the top, he looked a slow, cumbersome Steve Matai look-a-like, certainly not the Steve Renouf clone he was touted by some as being. Louis Anderson was real tough on D, but he also made a couple of momentually foolish decisions with ball in hand to try million to one chance grubbers and a couple of dodgey passes. Aside from Mika and Poaching who were by far and away the best players, the final spark came from a chip and chase from Corey Lawrie, believe it or not. Looks a far better hooker than he is a lock.

All in all, the Lions were extremely disappointing, and a lot of those boys are a long long way off first grade material IMO. But, I think overall these inequities will change in the future for us with U20s and Premier League giving these guys the real step up in class they need. Michael Dobson and Marshall Chalk were all over the Lions all night, Dobson was far, far superior to Lance Hohaia and Steve Buckingham in every single way he controlled the play last night. Lance has a long way to go until he's even considered a first grade halfback, he's a hooker fo shore.

All in all, a visit to Canberra with much hope, left with much disappointment, and a lot of thoughts of what if, how false the promise seems to be and how much we will have to improve to be any serious threat in the finals. Very disappointing, any news on McKinnon? I sincerely hope he wasn't pulled because they underrated Canberra, Canberra at home are always a tough nut to crack, especially off the back of a hiding. I have more hope TBH for the Manly game, because I suspect the tails will be firmly between our legs. We need to work desperately on our 50/50 handles on the ground, to me there were a number of very costly errors... namely Logan's dropped pill at the ruck, Koopu similarly, Rapira twice unable to retain possession on the ground after showing good energy to get to the ball. I would go as far as to say if Koopu doesn't fumble in the ruck, Rapira tidies up that charge down, the game is a very much different result. But when it all mattered, the same as at the SFS, the Warriors could not come home strong when they needed to. Sad.

Iafeta

Referee
MKEB... said:
The ref helped set the tone last night by allowing both sides to play up offside. The Warriors need a solid 10 meters to get things going.

From at the ground mate, the ref was generally back 12 metres to set the offside line, both teams crept in front of that, but wouldn't have encroached on the 10 as much as in other games. No problems there. Where I think we were weak was the ruck speed, we couldn't get through the line and get good play the balls away. A real shame that.

Iafeta

Referee
Rich102 said:
Agreed TH. We were goosed by an angry green man with attitude.
Mid way through second half I thought we had it, but then we tried to defend a lead instead of going for the kill.
I am seriously worried for our season now.
Oh how we miss Wadeo!

They did the same thing at Newcastle. Very similar. With about 20 to go, Rovelli tries to find the sideline instead of find the corners. Similarly, like the Newie game, he gets a charge down against him. That's the worrying thing, the kicking game needs a lot of work.

Rich102

Staff member
Thanks for the report Iafeta! I was afraid to ask how the Lions got on. So that is them out of the finals, is it?

Skinner

Coach
Iafeta said:
Drove three hours each way, booked a hotel and all.. same result as my last road trip. A shattering loss in the final five minutes.

On Ah Van and Solomona, showed nothing in Premier League. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Solomona touched the ball maybe twice all night. One was a bomb which he defused (luckily, because he looked horrible under it, and tapped it back and got lucky with a rebound bounce)... Ah Van, slippery footwork in that he couldn't keep his feet through most of the game, and was largely dominated. He needs to either put on a few pounds or try and find a bit more speed at this stage.

In fact, in the Premier League game (where the Lions were smashed, they were down 30- with 10 to go) the only players to really impress were Upu Poaching and Constantine Mika. When they came on, they made the world of difference and sparked the Lions attack. They broke through tackles, got away offloads. There were some other notable features, Scotty Jones has a very good tackle technique but hands like the ball is a cake of soap, Sonny Fai is a strong boy with good ball skills, but missed a couple of lazy tackles close to the line, one which led directly to their first or second try... Leeson Ah Mau is a good runner, but jersey grabbed a couple of times in D, and Lance Hohaia simply didn't get close to stepping up to the mark. From what I saw, the hype in Miguel Start is extremely over the top, he looked a slow, cumbersome Steve Matai look-a-like, certainly not the Steve Renouf clone he was touted by some as being. Louis Anderson was real tough on D, but he also made a couple of momentually foolish decisions with ball in hand to try million to one chance grubbers and a couple of dodgey passes. Aside from Mika and Poaching who were by far and away the best players, the final spark came from a chip and chase from Corey Lawrie, believe it or not. Looks a far better hooker than he is a lock.

All in all, the Lions were extremely disappointing, and a lot of those boys are a long long way off first grade material IMO. But, I think overall these inequities will change in the future for us with U20s and Premier League giving these guys the real step up in class they need. Michael Dobson and Marshall Chalk were all over the Lions all night, Dobson was far, far superior to Lance Hohaia and Steve Buckingham in every single way he controlled the play last night. Lance has a long way to go until he's even considered a first grade halfback, he's a hooker fo shore.

All in all, a visit to Canberra with much hope, left with much disappointment, and a lot of thoughts of what if, how false the promise seems to be and how much we will have to improve to be any serious threat in the finals. Very disappointing, any news on McKinnon? I sincerely hope he wasn't pulled because they underrated Canberra, Canberra at home are always a tough nut to crack, especially off the back of a hiding. I have more hope TBH for the Manly game, because I suspect the tails will be firmly between our legs. We need to work desperately on our 50/50 handles on the ground, to me there were a number of very costly errors... namely Logan's dropped pill at the ruck, Koopu similarly, Rapira twice unable to retain possession on the ground after showing good energy to get to the ball. I would go as far as to say if Koopu doesn't fumble in the ruck, Rapira tidies up that charge down, the game is a very much different result. But when it all mattered, the same as at the SFS, the Warriors could not come home strong when they needed to. Sad.

I'm not overly sure why Iafeta, but I find your comments on the Lions......um, not overly
offensive, but not exactly informed either.

You watched them on a night when they got dicked, completely dicked, with absolutely
no excuses...and any critisism may well be deserved.

A lot of us have watched them all season, we have all formed our own opinion. I should
imagine that many of us have higher expectations than the thoughts that you had whilst
driving back to Sydney.

You left the ground following a disappointing first grade performance and a very poor
PL effort.....

Please do not judge them on this......they are much better than what you saw.

Iafeta

Referee
Mate, I'm not knocking them out for a killer blow, but they were clearly a few rungs below Canberra, who as we know over the past few years have been extremely strong in the lower divisions. They played as a cohesive unit, whereas the Lions did not. I made a particular effort to leave earlier than usual, break a few committments etc. to get down not there not expecting necessarily a win, but to hopefully see a few players with a lot of hype on them play to their potential. I can only say what I saw, Poaching and Mika broke tackles at will and offloaded well, Hohaia did not direct the team around, although in general the pack was outplayed, Solomona did not get involved, especially not one off the ruck or out of dummy half in a set following a kick against us, Start was cumbersome and his side in defence was broken at will. Jones dropped a lot of pill, but tackled well. It was evident he did not drop his head following an error and once or twice got in good tackles post a dropped ball to force a turnover. Skinner, I don't even necessasirly believe I'd class it as a poor PL effort, just a performance against a well drilled outfit who profitted from the return of a couple of experienced and very capable first graders in Chalk and Dobson. Dobson in particular piloted them around expertly, I would have hoped Hohaia, an ex international, might have been able to have the same effect, but last night it wasn't there from him.

I'm under no illusions, to me this first season for the Lions was about just finding our feet. That was my expectation. It was about exposing these players to the rigours of constant travel commitments. I expected a fringe finals spot at best, and that's largely where they'll finish, just out of the finals. I don't think that's an embarrassment, I believe it's the first step in a long journey. A journey that will start to profit NZRL in the long term. Last night they were against a side who have a very junior system in place, and it showed. I was pleased to see a couple of players, aforementioned in Poaching and Mika, who really shook the game up. My comments are only on last night, that's all I saw, I haven't had the priviledge of seeing them earlier in the season - I'm not knocking their previous efforts, I can only comment on that match last night which I called as I saw.

Unless you at the ground saw it differently?

Bay56

First Grade
Sam_the_man said:
wow 6 clear of the spoon....stellar season that. Will you be watching the first grade teams play in the finals?

:roll: :roll:

do you think you'll be watching your team in the GF ... anything short of that and you may as well start mad Monday with us

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
LeagueUnlimited.com Player of the Match
3 Points: Todd Carney
2 Points: Brett Kelly
1 Point: Todd Byrne

wtf

Ian Ritchie watching a different game from the rest of us as usual

Rovelli

Bench
Worse-case scenario, I don't want to bring it up, but, if we were to lose both our remaining games...DON'T FEAR....we may still sneak into the top 8.

Titans just beat the Roosters, it was a good result for us. Providing the Roosters don't turn around a -306 points differential between us and them, we are guaranteed to finish in front of them.

Other teams:
Broncos must win both to get ahead of us. Could happen yet...playing Raiders at home then Parra away

Titans must win both to get ahead of us. On the road at Cronulla and then Melbourne, tough ask.

Rabbitohs have to win 2 out of 3...Sea Eagles tomorrow, Tigers away and Roosters

Tigers should beat the Knights and will also play the Rabbits at home.

Let's hope that our big crowd for Sunday next week spurs us on to victory and seal a playoff spot.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Thierry Henry said:
LeagueUnlimited.com Player of the Match
3 Points: Todd Carney
2 Points: Brett Kelly
1 Point: Todd Byrne

wtf

Ian Ritchie watching a different game from the rest of us as usual

Jesus he's a clueless bastard.

Blaze

Juniors
Yeah the Titans did us a big favour there, as long as they don't win their last two...

So assuming we lose our last 2 games, out of the 5 teams below the Warriors who are still in the hunt

The Roosters cannot finish above us
The Titans have the Sharks and Storm away. I am not prepared to tempt fate and write them off but I don't think it is likely that they will win both of those
The Broncos should beat the Raiders pretty comfortably but will likely fall to Parramatta
The Rabbitohs have to win 2 out of 3 tough games to get ahead of us.
The Tigers have 2 points in the bag thanks to playing the Knights in R25, and also have a winable game against Souths.

So if we lose our last two games I reckon only the Tigers will overtake us, although I wouldn't rule out Souths or Brisbane... particuarly with their game against Parramatta being the last for Petro if they were to lose.

We probably need to win both of our last 2 to finish top 6...

Rovelli

Bench
Of course, we may just be overreacting. Last night's loss was just a bluff from the boys and we won't lose again this season. :D

Best possible finish now is realistically 5th. If we could somehow play the Cowboys in the first week, I'd take it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Tigers are the ones that worry me. Vs Manly or Melbourne away in the first week of the finals. No thanks. If we finish 6th I think we'll be fine for the first week even if we lose, although of course I'd rather we won.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The Bulldogs have a pretty shocking home record this year. Provided we turn up, i'd call us at least evens to beat them.

We got the Tiges at Campbelltown, we could take them at Telstra.

We should have beaten the Cowboys twice this year.

Quite frankly, Manly and Melbourne scare the hell out of me. (So do Penrith, as it happens)

Micistm

Bench
Disappointed tbh, Warriors did not deserve the 2 pts from the effort. Canberra were hungrier and got the deserved win.
BUT- I personally stopped watching after 3/4 of the first half, and only went back to it now and again...as one of my biggest pet peeves in RL are sub standard refs that cannot keep a decent 10m. It was awful, and ruined the game for me with both sides attack stifled. And with so much at stack it's frustrating. Hopefully we don't see that guy again. It may sound like sour grapes, but I just cannot stand it when sides are allowed to be off side the whole game-ours included.