What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Side V Manly

hotdogs

Juniors
as i said earlier in the week that was the team that is picked to play. williams is back this week playing PL, because he only started back training this week, lomu's not back till round 2 or even 3, torn lat from the last trial game.
i say yes to giving some of the PL a run and a chance but doesn't look very promising imo. if they leave out williams for being injured but use millar after no off season i don't know why they don't start him ahead of raston. always said, even last season ale will not be playing FG unless moggy falls of the ends of this earth. don't think we'll see him this season either. sad but true!

Im dissapointed about the side too, but I think we should all hold back on our anger until after game day. If we come out and kill manly we will all look silly. If Manly runs over the top of us and the contentious players don't perform, then we can all have a go at Elliot. Im right behind the team and still optomistic about saturday night despite my thoughts on the team selection

I dare say that 98% of us did not see both of our trial performances, only read about them in the paper and on here written by the opinions of 1 or 2 posters on here. Elliot is the one who has seen ALL of their pre-season form from the sideline, so we should at least give him the benifit of the doubt until we have seen our round 1 performance for ourselves.

thickos

First Grade
Good point Waltzing. I think we've all built up a picture in our minds as to who should be picked, there's a lot of new faces and so we're all a bit in the unknown - we don't know what's gonna happen.

Considering the injury toll already... let's give this side a go and dissect the effort after Rd 1.

Edwahu

Bench
I dont think the sides terrible. Elliot still plays favourites but who knows how these players have improved over the off season. My main worry is that our forwards are still very one dimensional, there are not alot of quality offloads or strong attacking runs in them. Hopefully LL helps.

SOULS 04

Juniors
i have two main dramas....

No Zillman and more so no williams.... he looked real good in the broncos trial.

then again so did raston and im looking forward to seeing him play.

i have doubts but will reserve judgement until after the game saT night

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
Mogg to the wing could be a good move. He played well at fullback with the Dolphins and he plays more like a winger anyway. He always takes dummy half runs and usually goes for the line himself rather than pass to his winger.

Side is a big unknown for me, but let's reserve judgement not only until after the game, but also for a few weeks at least. What if the Raiders get done this week by a scoreline something like 26-18? That isn't too bad a result with the players they have out.

Most of you guys need to take a deep breath and relax. Raiders aren't the key to all of life's problems :)

aussies1st

Staff member
Raider_69 said:
Raiders:
Clinton Schifcofske - given
Adrian Purtell - shock but ill go with it, all reports indicate he has been on fire
Phil Graham - given
David Howell - what the f**k? is fraws still injured? how about ale or chalk
Adam Mogg - Where in the f**k is chalk? or milne for that matter?
Jason Smith - given
Lincoln Withers - we all knew it, it was always gonna happen
Willie Raston - good move, looking forward to it
Simon Woolford - *cringes* withers is a better option
Troy Thompson - deserves his spot
Jason Croker - GOOD MOVE, tootsy plays like a 2nd rower and tongue is an 80 minute player, let him start
Ben Jones - shocker but again, a good one, i rate this kid
Alan Tongue - AWESOMENESS!

Bench:
Todd Carney - Shock he got it over zilly but im happy either way, i think Carney deserves first shot
Terry Martin - Wheres williams? surely with trial form and last season he deserves a crack
Tom Learoyd-Larhs - given
Josh Miller - given

Frawley is injuried. I too would like to know where Chalk is.
Zillman from another thread said he was 18th man so maybe he will pip Carney. Carney on the bench won't work cause Elliott won't use him to the 2nd half at which we could be 20 points down.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
I'm just not sure what Chalk has to do to be a regular in the first grade side. His up there with Stuey MacGill for the most unappreciated Australian sportsman.

Oh well, hopefully these guys who were picked put in a good showing- I still can't wait for Saturday night.

Chachi

Bench
I don't know what to make of this team. I'm surprised that Carney is there over Zillman and Jones is starting ahead of LL, but that doesn't worry me because I thought both of them should be in the 17. Tongue starting is not a bad thing, but it does give us quite a small pack. I'm looking for Croker to make a stack of offloads running just wide of the ruck and Tongue to run off short balls from Smitty. Chalk didn't get a real run in the trials so I'm not sure what the story is with him.

Manly are very beatable, but I think a lot will depend on how Mogg and Purtell shape up in defence and whether we can hold onto the bloody ball for a change.

Timbo

Staff member
That side has a bit of a 'meh' feeling to it.

I'll still back them home.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
just great...i bet my boss that the raiders would win, there goes $50 ill never see again lol.

i honestly talked up zillman for a good hour lol.

Kris_man

Bench
Woodgers, Steven Bell always played right centre for Melbourne, I can't see that changing now he plays for Manly. Also, sorry that Chalky didn't make the side, I know he's one of your favourites (I remember you saying he's better than Phil! :shock:). Top call, twistedbydesign, comparing him to Stuey MacGill, haha, that's going in my sig.

I'm reserving judgement until after the game, but Purts is putting sh*t up hill to prove he's better than Chalky. Howell has his moments, but has too many weaknesses, usually in the form of brain explosions (actually I wonder if he has a brain to begin with, eg, I saw a replay of the Broncos game last year, he tackled Hunt in mid-air. Dumbass, read the rules.), to warrant first grade selection.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
well i feel the same as everyone else i just hope we get a good team picked when were all fit!

it's a nervous wait till saturday now tho! so much unknown...

Mal Meninga

Bench
Purtell is a good young player... big and fast and I have no problem with him starting. Mogg could be good on the wing but i'm not holding my breath.
We're gonna get belted though

whatwhat

Juniors
The only real drama i have is Mogg/Howell over Chalk/Ale , apart from that probably the best team we could field..

ed bbay

Juniors
whatwhat said:
The only real drama i have is Mogg/Howell over Chalk/Ale , apart from that probably the best team we could field..

agreed what do these 2 have to do to show elliottt they are 1st graders . we may as well release them to gold coast now because they will probably play more 1 st grade games 4 them this year then 4 the raiders .???.

edabomb

First Grade
Raiders v Manly at Brookvale
Saturday March 11 2006

1 Marshall Chalk
2 Bronx Goodwin
3 Brad Cross
4 Jermaine Ale
5 David Milne
6 William Zillman
7 Mark Herbert
8 Jason Williams
9 Ryan Hinchcliffe
10 Trevor Thurling
11 Michael Hodgson
12 Terry Campese
13 Glen Buttriss

INTERCHANGE
14 Willie Jones
15 Cy Lasscock
16 Jack Pearson
17 Troy O’Sullivan
18 Uelese Faumina

Theres the reggies team. Interesting to see Williams and Hodgson both fit and available, but not selected for firsts.

Latest posts