What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders sign Nathan Smith and release Dobson to Hull

dubby

Bench
Not happy on either account really.

I dont like the way this year is turning out...I'm starting to become a bay-side man on the actions of our HQ.....i feel so......YUK!

Dobson released

0,,6013471,00.jpg

CANBERRA has today signed hard-working Penrith lock Nathan Smith to a three-year deal.

An ACT junior, Smith began his career with the Raiders and will rejoin the Green Machine next season.

He left Canberra last year with coach Matthew Elliott, who tried desperately to keep the 25-year-old at the foot of the mountains. Smith has been Penrith’s most consistent player since he arrived, and has not missed game for the Panthers. He also won the club’s Best and Fairest Award last season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Smith was keen to remain a Panther, but could not afford to knock back Canberra’s handsome offer.

It is understood the Raiders have signed Smith as a replacement for Maroons back rower Neville Costigan, who is expected to join Gold Coast in 2009.

The Raiders have also agreed to immediately back-up half Michael Dobson to UK club Hull KR. Dobson will fly out on Monday

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23622417-5006066,00.html

Macko8

Juniors
ffs
handsome offer???
so his here to replace costigan?
anyone know what costigan was on a year???

raidersforme

Juniors
Nathan Smith signs with Raiders

April 30, 2008 - 3:32PM

Canberra has secured former junior Nathan Smith to return to the club on a three-year deal from 2009, ending his two-year stint with Penrith.
Smith followed former Raiders coach Matthew Elliott to the Panthers in 2006 but will return to the nation's capital next season until the end of 2011.
He left Canberra as an outside back but has developed strongly in Penrith, culminating in his best and fairest award at the club last year, and will return as a backrower who has cemented his place firmly in the Panthers' forward pack.
Smith said he was excited to be returning to a side that was full of young talent.
"Obviously guys like Todd Carney and Joel Monaghan are players that would slot into any side so I'm keen to play with them," said Smith.
"The Raiders are a club on the up and I think they can only improve in the years ahead."
Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was happy that Smith has agreed to return and was looking forward to having his impact in the side next year.
"Nathan wanted to return home and we thought his form over the past two seasons has warranted his return to Canberra," Furner said.
"He's developed into a great player, and we're really excited that he's returning to Canberra."

http://news.smh.com.au/nathan-smith-signs-with-raiders/20080430-29k8.html

I was always under the impression from the telecrap that it was a 200k over 2 year deal if 300k over 3 year i am happy.

I think we will loose Costigan, Turner, Jones

If we paid 200k per year the management have just undone everything they have done this year.

raidersforme

Juniors
Telecrap revised version now online

CANBERRA has today signed hard-working Penrith lock Nathan Smith to a three-year deal. An ACT junior, Smith began his career with the Raiders and will rejoin the Green Machine next season.

He left Canberra last year with coach Matthew Elliott, who tried desperately to keep the 25-year-old at the foot of the mountains. Smith has been Penrith’s most consistent player since he arrived, and has not missed game for the Panthers. He also won the club’s Best and Fairest Award last season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Smith was keen to remain a Panther, but could not afford to knock back Canberra’s handsome offer.
Smith said he was excited to be returning to a side that was full of young talent. "Obviously guys like Todd Carney and Joel Monaghan are players that would slot into any side so I'm keen to play with them,'' said Smith.
"The Raiders are a club on the up and I think they can only improve in the years ahead.''
Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was happy that Smith has agreed to return and was looking forward to having his impact in the side next year. "Nathan wanted to return home and we thought his form over the past two seasons has warranted his return to Canberra,'' Furner said.
"He's developed into a great player, and we're really excited that he's returning to Canberra.''

It is understood the Raiders have signed Smith as a replacement for Maroons back rower Neville Costigan, who is expected to join Gold Coast in 2009.

The Raiders have also agreed to immediately back-up half Michael Dobson to UK club Hull KR. Dobson will fly out on Monday.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23622417-5006066,00.html

Don't the two bits in bold contradict each other, the telecrap just inject there own sh*te into story's

Timbo

Staff member
What a f**king joke.

We've got massive cap space and we sign somebody WHO WE DONT NEED IN A POSITION WHERE WE'VE GOT TEN BETTER PLAYERS!!!!

And I'm fuming that Dobson's been released. Our only genuine organiser and the clubs letting him walk out the door.

Jesus christ. Bay I agree with you - management are f**king arseclowns.

Macko8

Juniors
If we lose costigan,turner and jones, than i have no dramas with nathan smith coming back to canberra.

of course management would have paid overs for him, and thats a big issue.

shear_joy9

Coach
well it looks like I have to burn down the head quarters.

I would almost rather the team played with only 3players on the bench than have smith in the team. what a joke.

Lose: Zillman, Costigan, Logan, Dobson.
Sign: Nathan Smith.

They better have some decent targets or they will lose me too.

Bay56

First Grade
Love this club to the death ...

... management??, well that's a different matter

unfortunately the supporters of this great club will have to endure many years of this type of stuff ...

... Eddie McGuire come and save us

Mick_63

Juniors
Obviously the dobson gone,smith back shows management love tackling machines.
A player that can win games goes and a player that'll never win games comes.

Of course if this shedding/losing of creative ball players is in aid of bringing back Mick Monas to the fold,then itsa stroke of genius.......we shall see.

Dobson doesnt even offer much variety other than some reasonable short kicking, other than that, he is far too inconsistent (or was last year) to warrant re-signing, give herbert a go, if that fails, then look for someone else.

As for smith, he'll give us more gametime than costigan, and has that utility value aswell, so im not fussed about it tbh, he's been one of the panthers best for the last year or so.

Bay56

First Grade
I understand what you are saying Victor but quite frankly we've got the position covered ... the money spent on Smith would have been far spent on topping up a reasonable offer to a genuine marquee player that this club needs more of.

PAPI

Juniors
i Herd it was $240k, i think Smith was a good fit at the panthers, Tongue and Smith in the same side seems a bit odd to me ?

If we are to lose costigan (which is likely) jones, turner, and chalk, that all of a sudden leaves us thin on for backrowers

Chachi

Bench
Best bit is he's leaving Matt Elliott. It was obvious he didn't like Penrith and it's laughable how the Telecrap made it sound like we had to tear the bloke away. What a load of crap.

Other than that he could be a useful pickup depending on the $$ spent. Costigan is gone and history tells us we do need some depth in the back row - as long as it means we release some others like Jones and maybe Turner.

The fact that a lot of people also cracked the sh*ts when we signed Logan is a good sign IMO. Welcome back Smitty.

Latest posts