What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders sign Nathan Smith and release Dobson to Hull

If we lose Jones , Turner , Costigan , then I dont think we have the depth that we need, we suffer way too many injuries especially in this position

so far this year , TLL , Jones , Costigan , Plum , Turner have been all out injured

So having Smith back , cant hurt us too much , he's been going all right for Penriff.

Obviously dobbo didnt get the feeling he was wanted , so he is securing his future by going back to the ESL, how far off is Herbert from FG , we cant keep going with Toddy at half.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I can't believe the sentiment towards Smith. Nathan was a more than handy winger at the Raiders and always looked like he would develop in to a back rower. I am happy to have him ahead of Turner, Jones and Miller, at least he has leg speed and can play for 80 mins. Given he has only been in the back row for 2 years, you would also expect him to have decent improvement in him. Give the bloke a chance for FFS!!!

On Dobson, I think this is the best decision for the club and player. Not up to first grade standard as an all round player. Obviously the club has a lot of faith in Herbert and I hope they are right but from what I have seen so far, he is injury prone and one wonders whether he can stand up to the rigours of the NRL. Interested to see where talks with Campo, Purtell and Chalk have gone. Any mail out there???

donkey|rope

Juniors
If we cast off dead weights like Jones, Turner and Miller, along with Costigan who is definitely going and Chalk potentially - this is a sound signing.

I wouldn't have signed Smith, but his signing doesn't really compare to the geniused moves we've made in the recent past.

Releasing Dobson was the right decision – he’s not cut out to play in the NRL.

julian87

Juniors
I don't see Josh Miller as a dead weight at all. He's been great this year and I am sure Dave Furner would love him and bring out the best in him.

dubby

Bench
It sounds to me like Jones, Turner are on the outer and we know Nev will leave.

I really hope Chalk stays

julian87

Juniors
I hope Chalk stays as well. I think he is still a better outside back than some of the options we have as well as being a decent back rower.

legend

Coach
Chalk is a good utility option and should be re-signed. I think with all theplayers leaving, we should be able to sign who we need to keep.

whatwhat

Juniors
In the Tele today said we paid 200k a year for him, way over what he is worth. And money spent we could of used to keep J Carney, Campo etc..

dubby

Bench
Considering we paid Dobson $200k for this year really suggests to me that our HQ are very generous with their salaries for mediocre players.

Surely that $200 plus whats left after releasing Dobson, Howell (and we will lose Logan, Costigan and may release Jones and Turner) that must leave something in the kitty to make a marquee signing????

yet we spend $200k on Nathan Smith????

FGS....bay, any room over there for the management critics???

PAPI

Juniors
i did read the Panthers went to 150k (or so) but couldn't or didn't want to match the 200+k the Raiders offered.

In Nathans defence he is a 100% player and now seems to be injury free and can play 80min, all positives.

Bay56

First Grade
f**k me. 200k a year? He's worth 80-90, tops.

Totally agree ... no wonder we find ourselves over the cap

When you're calculating how to spread the cap over your squad Smith comes under the "average" category ... you pay him an average of $120K, that means some will get $150K and some $90K.

That leaves approx $1.8M to spread over 6 marquee players that distinguishes the top clubs from those beneath .. an average of $300K each.

legend

Coach
300k wont get you a marquee player anymore. It's 350k+ these days to even get the players agent to return your calls and even then you owuld need to offer 400k to get a marquee player to take the offer seriously.

Bay56

First Grade
300k wont get you a marquee player anymore. It's 350k+ these days to even get the players agent to return your calls and even then you owuld need to offer 400k to get a marquee player to take the offer seriously.

The $300K i mentioned is an average legend ... but yea I agree with you ... unfotunately you me and the rest of the RL world will have to convince Donny Jnr.

Bay56

First Grade
Just watched the Pan V Pen game and if we have paid more than $120K for Nathan Smith Donny Jnr and co should hand in their resignations Monday morning 8:30PM

Raider_69

Post Whore
Just watched the Pan V Pen game and if we have paid more than $120K for Nathan Smith Donny Jnr and co should hand in their resignations Monday morning 8:30PM

Not that i disagree entirely, but didnt see the game myself, but just quietly, the same could be said about one Todd Carney at stages of this year, judging a player on one game is stupid even by your standards.

I look forward to the resignation from Donny and co Monday Morning at 8:30PM ;-)

Bay56

First Grade
You've lost all cred if you are making comparisons of Carney v Smith ... chalk and cheese as to who is a player capable of being a consistent match winner and one that fills in the cracks. If I were Smith's manager I'd be laughing all the way to the bank and wondering how someone could be so stupid to pay anywhere near $200K for his services.

Show me player that can kick 50m field goals, throw 25m passes on his wrong side, has a step that can fool one of the best defensive fulbacks, find you the occassional 40/20 and assist in a good percentage of his teams tries and I'll be willing to pay him good dollar.

When management have the ability to surround this guy with some other marquee players I for one wont be looking for their resignation be it AM or PM.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You've lost all cred if you are making comparisons of Carney v Smith ... chalk and cheese as to who is a player capable of being a consistent match winner and one that fills in the cracks. If I were Smith's manager I'd be laughing all the way to the bank and wondering how someone could be so stupid to pay anywhere near $200K for his services.

Show me player that can kick 50m field goals, throw 25m passes on his wrong side, has a step that can fool one of the best defensive fulbacks, find you the occassional 40/20 and assist in a good percentage of his teams tries and I'll be willing to pay him good dollar.

When management have the ability to surround this guy with some other marquee players I for one wont be looking for their resignation be it AM or PM.

:lol: way to miss the point
the point wanst about carney's abilities or smiths, it was about judging a player off one game, which is exactly what you did with smith. Based on last nights game he might not be worth anything over 100k, but based on his performances over the past 2 years, i think he's worth around 150-160k, which i conceed is still well under what we're REPORTABLY paying him. And you know my motto, what the telegraph says is gospel!

You may be able to pull the wool over others eyes with this style or arguement, but it wont get far with me bay. Try debating the point, rather then skewing it in a direction

Chachi

Bench
If the bloke WANTED to come home, why would we be paying him $50,000 more than the panthers?

I simply cannot believe this to be the case. Those numbers are totall BS fabricated by the Telecrap to lead us to believe we have to pay overs for everyone.

Latest posts