What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyed

First Grade
Raider 69... just say jail... it is easier to spell....... :lol: And they have a jail in Geelong?

jed

First Grade
sorry, jed's incredibly busy at work. another 2 weeks though, and I'll be back to my full-strength self :D

Kris_man

Bench
i agree with Greenraider, year 12 is a ball, and i got 87 in the HSC. although i'm a bit pissed off at him, "i studied the night before almost everything"...i worked my arse off for my 87! :evil:

thickos

First Grade
hey greeneyed... were you at the Raiders' first ever win? If so, tell us about it - how was the feeling?

hey rowdy raiderette,
im the first RR

Hi Raiderette Robbo, nice, now I know who you are ;-)

rowdy raiderette, do you have a wanton obsession with any Raiders player like RR does with Robbo?

Nah I dont really, i just love the footy, im a sports buff hehe.

Im sorry im a crappy poster so far, im still trying to get the hang of the deal :oops:

Greenblooded

Juniors
So has anyone heard any post match interviews from Finch?? I don't suppose he was still going on about how much he has matured as a player, and can now dominate in the big games 8)

greeneyed

First Grade
The first win was incredible.

In those days you only were allowed 13 imports into the club, otherwise they all had to be locals. The Sydney clubs put all sorts of nasty conditions on our entry. We even had to pay for their travel down to Canberra as well as our own travel to Sydney. Anyway, what that meant was that there weren't a whole lot of quality players in the club. Even the imports were not the top liners. Usually players who were trouble in their current club or getting a bit older.

A lot of the people going in the first year supported both their "Sydney" club as well as the Raiders. But the locals still wanted to see the Raiders succeed. All it needed was for the Raiders to start to win, and the loyalties would slowly drift to the local team. But in that first year, the Raiders were getting flogged every week. It was going to be a long first season. People in Sydney were saying we should never have been admitted, and that we might never win a game all season.

But then we played Newtown at Seiffert. The ground was always packed, even though the Raiders were losing, as seeing the top line competition was still a novelty. And the ground was small, even though it was a high quality ground for its day. I was on the hill on the western side. Frankly, I don't remember much about the match. Except that it was exceptionally close. We won 11-10 and just held on for the victory. I tell you the feeling in the crowd as the hooter sounded was like they had won the Grand Final for us. And the players jumped up and down like they had too. Everyone left the ground thinking how great it was, the Raiders had beaten Newtown, still a strong club in those days. The traditional traffic jam, trying to get out of Queanbeyan on the only 2 roads back to Canberra didn't seem so bad that day, people beeping horns and laughing. It was a good day.

thickos

First Grade
Haha sweet man. Yeah I heard about the restrictions the NSWRL tried to impose on us that season and all the stuff regarding paying the opposition to get down to the game - that is fair dinkum ridiculous!

Did you have a 'sydney' team mate?

greeneyed

First Grade
It was my first year in Canberra, moved from Queensland, so my team up there was the Brisbane Easts (the Tigers) and so vaguely followed Balmain, but Queenslanders mostly followed the Brisbane competition back in the early 1980s. Seiffert Oval looked like a palace compared to Langlands Park or any club ground in Brisbane though.... Funny when you look at it now....

Also funny I used to quite like Balmain, until I actually encountered their supporters on this forum....

Raider_69

Post Whore
canberra are quality
you always have a soft spot for them
they are gods among men :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.