What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders stand down Goodwin and Carney over club claims

bileduct

Coach
I just hope Herbert has a good solid game. He's behind a hardworking and enthusiastic set of forwards and his outside men are on fire. Perfect scenario for a halfback's debut.

He's a really good kid. Intelligent, hard working, articulate and possessed of a social conscience.

I'd much rather hear entirely inappropriate gags from the footy show about "Herb" playing for the "Green", than anything to do with "Trough Man" Carney.

Go Herbert. Go The Green Machine. Grow up Toddy.
I'm a herb smoker myself (I'm far too irresponsible with alcohol, something Todd and I have in common) so the jokes will get a laugh from me, and I think it's great to see him get a few games in under his belt before the finals (presuming we make it).

A lot of us still remember what happened with Ricky in '93, and with Dobbo done and dusted we'd bloody better get this kid up to speed in case something else happens to Todd.

I'm a herb smoker myself (I'm far too irresponsible with alcohol, something Todd and I have in common) so the jokes will get a laugh from me, and I think it's great to see him get a few games in under his belt before the finals (presuming we make it).

A lot of us still remember what happened with Ricky in '93, and with Dobbo done and dusted we'd bloody better get this kid up to speed in case something else happens to Todd.

No one's ever accused herbal use as performance enhancing. Also no one's writing about the 66 nil flogging of the Eels in the "Greatest Raiders Moment" thread. That was a heart breaker. (wasn't it '92?) 5 minutes to go! We would have won '92 and '93 but for Ricky's ankle.

No harm in having a good extra half. In '89 and '90 we had Stuart, O'Sullivan and Daley. Throw Henjack in and we had 6 possible combinations (and a salary cap issue)!

Mal Meninga

Bench
Just to keep this mega thread going - How would the likes of Ricky Stuart, Brett Mullins, Laurie Daley, and Noa Nandruku (Let alone the rest) be portrayed in the media? Knowing that journalists prefer to report off field rubbish than the actual product.

Just to keep this mega thread going - How would the likes of Ricky Stuart, Brett Mullins, Laurie Daley, and Noa Nandruku (Let alone the rest) be portrayed in the media? Knowing that journalists prefer to report off field rubbish than the actual product.

Ricky ruled The Kingo by the authority of the violence of his henchmen. Laurie's drunken dropping of the Winfield cup and actions in front of Bob Hawke in the showers after the '89 grand final were widely reported. Mullo loved to get into fights and turned up to training drunk. Noa punched his wife 52 times after 52 beers. All of this was reported at the time. I think you know that Mal, hence you've chosen those names.

Apart from Noa's outburst, the others didn't require police attention. It's hard to write off Todd's latest and Bronx's first public screw up as high spirits or good natured hi-jinks.

The same journalists who've tipped the Raiders for the spoon are loving this controversy. Much easier to write dirt than admit they were wrong, and that the Raiders can play!

The four players you mentioned weren't underestimated, so didn't raise the ire of Sydney journalists by proving them wrong!

edabomb

First Grade
If the incident went down like it says in The Australian then I'm ready for Carney to pack his bags.

I wouldn't argue if he were if that is true. That is absolutely disgraceful.

I'd still probably just hit him with a suspension till 2009 though, we will be waiting another 15 years for a player of his talent.........

Last edited:

shear_joy9

Coach
How did that information come out? Neither the victim or police have released any information.

In saying that, the raiders board are certainly in between a rock and a hard place.

It's from Tilse's mates statements. I'd say it's what he said before he decided not to proceed with it. And it doesn't sound like an accident.

What makes it you believe its from the statement? I could have pulled that out of my hairy arse for all you know

Cletus

First Grade
Carney's victim is understood to have made the allegation in statements following the incident, causing further embarrassment to the Raiders as they weigh up whether to dismiss the 22-year-old for his latest indiscretion.
The victim apparently said he slipped over as he attempted to move away from Carney. He alleged that then, as he was lying on the ground, Carney continued to urinate on him, hitting him on the neck and head. In his statement to the Raiders and police, he said when he told Carney to stop, the Raiders half abused him and continued.
Carney has told the club and police the incident was an accident.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24078606-5012431,00.html

Tidus_Raider

Bench
I have a feeling he will be shown the door. The thing is, if he gets the sack and is picked up by another club after 'turning a new leaf' where does that leave the raiders? Canberra sacking him will only be justifiable in my books if he is never registered in the NRL ever again. If he is it is a mighty waste for the raiders cause you know he will be picked up by another club after we as a club have spent so much time, effort and money develoing him as a player.

It was from Raiders CEO Don Furner Jnr, then confirmed by Carney's manager David Riolo.

Cannot train or play this season, must observe a 5 step plan involving no grog, community service an counselling among other things.

Carney will decide his response later this week.

Might be worth a new thread.

matt

Juniors
the small minded pouring over the womens weekly continue's over here too.
GET naked with some chick the lot of youse.;-)

bluesbreaker

Bench
Bluesbreaker, i said initially "if the allergations are found to be true" meaning, if the allergation about him purposely urinating on someone is true then he should be sacked, as it turns out, it wasnt true, hence the charges were dropped so im well within my grounds to now defend him

Sorry, I have a terrible tendency to post in threads and go AWOL, the tyranny of distance between myself and an internet connection and all.

The point I was making was your first post in this thread was along the lines of 'sack and deregister ... i'm sick of defending him', and then subsequently you were defending him.

And fair enough too.

I do honestly believe that you are intelligent enough to read between the lines, so to speak, and realise that something out of order happened, but I also understand that Canberra's performance in the NRL is your primary concern.

I'm happy with the club's strong reaction (assuming Carney cops the ban on the chin) and honestly thought it'd be another slap on the wrist.

From my perspective, i'm glad the Knights have got Mullo, who (knock on wood) seems to genuinely have his head screwed on, rather than up his own arse, every time he hits the piss. If only he could get over his injury niggles and show some of the unlimited potential Carney has this year.

Latest posts