What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders to wear Aboriginal colours for reconciliation Rd 24

thickos

First Grade
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... sport&story_id=316080&y=2004&m=6

New look honours league's history
By Bevan Hannan
Thursday, 24 June 2004

The Green Machine will transform into the Dream Machine when it wears a commemorative playing strip to mark the Canberra Raiders Reconciliation Day in August.

For the first time since being formed in 1982, the Raiders will replace its traditional green for its round 24 NRL match against the Sydney Roosters with a specially designed jersey as a mark of recognition to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.

The one-off jumper will contain the red, black and yellow colours that represent Indigenous Australians, as well as the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags.

Ngunnawal elder Matilda House and Indigenous Affairs Minister Amanda Vanstone both commended the Raiders for joining forces with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission to make such a public statement.

Raiders community relations manager Paul Osborne was influential in the Raiders signing a pledge of reconciliation two years ago which paved the way for the historic jumper switch.

"I thought how big would it be if Canberra gave up its traditional green colours to play in Aboriginal colours as an acknowledgement of the contribution that the indigenous community has made to the Raiders and to our code," Osborne said.

"It sends a great message especially to young Aboriginal kids about how we view them as a team and as a code.

"Our chairman John McIntyre commented on the Indigenous players we had in our early teams. David Grant was our first captain and he was Aboriginal. They are an important part of our history."

Aboriginal identity House said her own father Douglas Williams was a country rugby league star in the 1940s, alongside the grandfather of former NRL stars Ken and Kevin McGuinness.

"They showed that racism didn't stand in their way," House said. "Being ostracised growing up never stopped them from forging ahead and making a career out of the best game in the world. Recognition never came. This is why I am happy about what is happening now. The recognition wasn't there for them to be picked for Australia or important games at that time. They were overlooked because they were Aboriginal people."

thickos

First Grade
Great idea :clap: But I pray the design of that jersey is good, there is a lot of colours there (Black, Red, Yellow, Teal, Purple and White) and designed poorly that will look like a dog's breakfast.

hrundi99

First Grade
Ideally it would be the same design as the current jersey but with red, black and yellow instead, and with the flags on the chest (?).

jed

First Grade
I'm pleased with the announcment - at least we're not whoring ourselves out for a commercial product launch. Remember (in the AFL, I know) when Orange bought out the North Melbounre Kangaroos jumper, or when the Carlton wore the commemorative "blue M&M's" jumper? :lol:

I will reserve judgement on it's design though until I see it on the field.

Edwahu

Bench
There was a pic of it on the back of the Canberra Times today. It looks pretty good. Its predominantly black and I think its simmilar to the one the Aboriginal team wears at the 7's.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Its the same design as the current shirt, except its is mainly black with yellow and red stripes on the sides and sleeves. Looks quite smart, gunna be a bit weird watching the boys play in it.

frank

Juniors
This is the greatest idea I've seen from a football club.

Congratulations to Paul Osbourne and the Raiders.

I'm a very proud fan at the moment.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Poida_Raider

Bench
good on the raiders, maybe more of the aboriginal guys in our club will be called up for the game!

i think its a great idea, and a great show of respect.

Poida_Raider said:
good on the raiders, maybe more of the aboriginal guys in our club will be called up for the game!

i think its a great idea, and a great show of respect.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but do we HAVE any Aborigines in our team?

Kenny is the only one I can think of, and even then I doubt he'll play first grade this year.

Either way, great idea by the club. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Raider Azz

Bench
I don't think Kenny is even aboriginal, I thought he was from Fiji or something around there.

Mundine is aboriginal!

In the Canberra Times it said apparantley our first captain was Aboriginal, and I do know that Mal Meninga is part Torres Strait Islander.

Nadruku was from Fiji, I think you're thinking of him. I'm sure Nagas is Aboriginal.

And yeah I forgot about Mundine, I wonder if they'll stick him in that game on purpose if he's playing well.

Paullyboy

Coach
Bulgarelli is aboriginal i believe.

Is anyone able to get a picture of the jersey for us non-canberrans? Id love to see it!