What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders v Roosters Discussion

woodgers

Bench
I know I am a bit late, however I would like to weigh in with some points of my own.

We travelled up as a group of 13. We then met 5 others in Sydney. Out of 18, 3 were keen to sit behind the sticks of which I was 1. I would prefer to watch from the side but would have sat there for numbers sake. The rest said they were going to sit around the side for the view. To quote one of our guys "If I am going to spend the cash and use up a whole Sunday, I am going to sit where I can see the game. I would just stay home and watch it on Fox otherwise". I could see his point. I can see the SGB point as well. I am a little disappointed this has blown up so badly from all parties.

Secondly, there are people on here giving 2 cents worth that have never been involved in either group and more to the point the running of such a squad. The organisation and cost in getting these things running is ENORMOUS. I have given 100% this year to getting things up and running. I have spent more time on that than my own business! I don't think some people understand what is involved. Therefore I get the shytes when people are making comments without any clue.

The whole "Army" thing is pissing me off, as soon as you got the backing of about 3 posters on here you guys attack the SGB at any chance.

Wrong. No one attacked the SGB. I was the one on here originally. The SGB stuff and members are everywhere on here. Now that I have 1 or 2 that are on here too, you whinge because I have some slight backing rather than get my arse slammed?

Thirdly, Greeneyed I know you had a few drinks as had Ultra but I think you totally took the Army symbol out of context. The other week you got upset at Bay25 for labelling the Mal Stand the Morgue saying he was disrespecting the big fella. Now the Army thing. No one wants to upset other fans, it was just an opportunity for a well known badge to get modified to support the Raiders. I think you may be looking for deeper issues that arn't there. Most people I have come across love it and appreciate the gag, I honestly hope you were not offended. The main point here is that we would never had even made the shirts if the Marketing didn't have most their merchandise in Black or White. We first and foremost wanted the Lime green to stand out in the crowd. Sully (get better mate) watched the Roosters game on tele and said you could see then all throughout the game, so I guess the objective was acheived.

Lastly, Bay25 and RaidersMalt are currently trying to set up a meeting of sorts with the Sydney guys outside of footy to come to a compromise. What more can people ask then that? Good luck to all involved in trying to reach a mutual agreement, at the end of the day as I have said before we are JUST supporters. Things have been taken out of context by both sides. The main thing to remember is that we are all green supporters and don't need to treat each other like opposition fans. Sure the two groups have a MAJOR difference in demographic but if we all work together it has the potential to go anywhere. We are going to have to leave the past in the past and give a little ground to achieve any of this.

Cheers all
Paul

greeneyed

First Grade
Hey, I don't want to upset anyone. But there has been a lot of criticism of other supporters on here from the "Army". The "Army" people concerned are mostly new to the forum, and I think we understandably don't appreciate the divisiveness and the criticism of fellow supporters. I am not in the SGB. I am a Canberra based supporter. But I can see their points. I also honestly don't like "army" or for that matter, when I think about it, "brigade" references to groups of football supporters. I am genuine when I say that is for wars not football. The use of the Australian army symbol is something I really think is inappropriate for a game of football. Just my opinion.

And I would really appreciate it if criticism of other groups of fellow Raiders supporters, no matter who they are, should stop.

jed

First Grade
greeneyed said:
I also honestly don't like "army" or for that matter, when I think about it, "brigade" references to groups of football supporters. I am genuine when I say that is for wars not football.

Not looking to start attacking you greeneyed, but I think you're opening a whole other can of worms here.

I'll start with the 2nd word first greeneyed. A brigade is defined as "A group of persons organized for a specific purpose" (Definition from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition). As is Fire Brigade.

Aside from the obvious militaristic meaning of Army, it is also defined as both "A large group of people organized for a specific cause" and "A multitude; a host" by The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Out of curiousity, what suggestions would you make for alternative names?

greeneyed

First Grade
How about "Raiders Supporters".... We can have "Sydney Raiders Supporters" and "Canberra Raiders Supporters"..... If you can agree on that, there is grounds for compromise..... you can sit where you like.... lol... I don't want to get too involved in the details, as I will still sit in the so called "Morgue" Stand and I will still chant and clap like we always do up there.

greeneyed

First Grade
We could even have the Sydney Green Boogas or the Canberra Green Boogas.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

BAY72

Juniors
greeneyed, The whole 'Army' name has been around for years, probably before you even started supporting the Raiders(not sure of exact dates).

The main point the the 'Raiders Army' has always been to first and foremost support the Canberra Raiders, second of all to entice the crowd into singing or clapping louder where they may or may not usually do this, but with a group of people encouraging them it makes it easier.

The title of 'Army' is used by almost all of the die hard supporters from each club. And in the old days, we would travel home and away and try to out sing the other group. Just the same that happens overseas in England or Ireland, or in most of Europe. This is nothing new at all.

This is Rugby League and has more up's and down's than a roller coaster. As you know the fans have been dropping off over the last few years, and therefore its been hard to get support. Most of the 'Army' have either disbanded or moved on. Mainly around the 'Super League' mess up.
We've always been around, a lot of us never left, but not all of us stayed sitting together untill 3 - 4 years ago.

We never stopped singing, we didn't all travel (though some did), but this year we look bigger because instead of just turning up we actually organised it. Also we added new numbers as they enjoyed the atmosphere we created around us, this was back in 'Bay 72'.

One of the biggest reasons we moved to 'Bay 25', was simply that there are guaranteed numbers each week as they were all Members.
Down side to this is it makes it hard to have other people to come up and join us. Though there are ways around it.

It is disappointing that some of the history of the Raiders Army has been forgotten in this. You can't judge a group based on what is read on a forum, such as this. Most people who have joined us in the army, if only for a game, have a better understanding of what the Raiders Army is about. It annoys me that some people are happy to make, and write about, their assumptions of our behaviour, yet have never bothered to come and meet us.

Since joining the forum almost everything I have read is related to the SGB. We started on the forum to let people know what we were about, talk footy, and perhaps coordinate some efforts. I am disheartened by the response, and the attitude of a few individuals.

The forum is for open discussion, and views that may not align with your own.

jed

First Grade
I think it is also worth pointing out that the quickest and easiest way that LU grows is through word of mouth, and with the majority of NRL supporters (all clubs, not just Raiders) coming from Sydney, it would make sense that the SGB would have spread quicker through the forums. The fact that there are now more Army members joining is because they want to participate, not because they are trying to outnumber the SGB of anything as petty as that.

It's great that we have more members on the forums now, particularly from Canberra, as more members means more points of view and a greater exchange of ideas.

greeneyed

First Grade
Mate, seeing I saw the Raiders first ever game (yes, I'm getting far too old!), I don't think the Raider's "Army" has been round longer than me.

I don't deny people the right to express divergent opinions, everyone should have that right. But I think most people are sick of hearing about the Army versus SGB thing... For the record I have no allegiance to the SGB grouping, as I am a Canberra based supporter.

mike83au

Juniors
greeneyed said:
I think most people are sick of hearing about the Army versus SGB thing...

I'm with greeneyed

I can't believe this entire discussion....

You guys have to be kidding....

jed

First Grade
greeneyed, I appreciate that you may be sick of it all, but every time you respond you just drag it out even longer by giving other people something to respond to. there are some topics that I am not interested in reading about, but I exercise my right to ignore them when I see them.

just a thought.....

Raider Ultra

Bench
The whole army vs SGB thing was blown out of proportion due to ridiculous comments by me. I think we both have to respect each other as we are so different demographically that it is going to be hard for us to join.

woodgers

Bench
Yeah, I'm with you Jed. I don't like the Social Thread so I stay away. The same with this, you don't like it then don't bother.

I would say that some people use the Footy as their main social time judging by what people write on here, so it shouldn't be dismissed as an unimportant issue because other people aren't involved. I know it is something I am really in the middle of so it is of great interest. Also, we are helping to support our team therefore it is hardly irrelevant.

I would disagree with my fellow Army members on the subject of banners and flags in Bay 25. #1 is right, they would not fit and it would be ridiculous to have them in a stand.

I think we are more similar to the Burrow that Souths have. We don't really have flags or banners, instead opting for the singing thing. Some groups are different and fair play to them. The Chook Pen looked to have plenty of flags and banners yet I couldn't hear squat out of them.

just to add to the whole sgb vs raiders army debate. i have been sitting with the sgb pretty much when it started but the last two games(sharks and roosters) i have sat with the guys from the army and have found their way of supporting a lot more effective and enjoyable. when i go to the football i want to drink and support the raiders the best i can and with the army this is possible. their chants and songs are a lot better and if u see any english soccer games, are pretty close to theirs. nick, tom and a couple of others from the sgb do a fantastic job but if they dont do anything, no one else joins in which is why we really should all sit together and sing the songs from the army so we become a lot more vocal. anyway i live on the central coast and am travelling to canberra on sunday so if anyone needs a lift you can contact me at bradwarner_240@hotmail.com. or 0412164886.

woodgers

Bench
Thanks for the kind words Brad. Look forward to seeing you at the game this Sunday.

Yeah, and i'm still jealous you went to Arsenal vs Chelsea ;-)

BAY72

Juniors
cheers brad, will be driving down to Canberra tomorrow, will see you then.

:mrgreen:

Latest posts