What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders VS Bulldogs

Macko8

Juniors
TLL better be playing.
We need him to lift like he did against penrith.

TLL and Tilse are probably the two biggest boys we have at the club, they will be more damaging if they use there fend everytime they hit the ball up, especially tilse, and tilse needs to work on actually busting the opposition line to bits, for a man of his size he should be nearly beating the first man every run.

legend

Coach
Goodwin can win the fullback spot but with the type of "effort" he showed last week, he's not worthy of a first grade spot. His one on one defence is atrocious.

I really like the idea of Picker starting and it looks as though the halves need to lift their game, and I would say Carney moreso than Dobson. Carney is a freak and is a superb player but we aren't seeing enough of him, especially in tight games.

He can win us the game against the Dogs if he plays for 80 minutes.

Chachi

Bench
Well there you go 'eh! Campo back in the mix - and even for the halves! I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking Carney and Dobson are starting to strike up a fairly solid combination, so I don't know how to read that revelation.

Picker will certainly have his hands full against an in-form Williams. Certainly a baptism of fire for your first run on game which should be a highlight for mine.

I'd be interested to know Henry's thoughts on Hinchcliffe. If Payne is off the cards for '09 maybe Hinchcliffe could still score a deal?

Such a shame that we've lost Thommo, Tongue and Zilly in the last two rounds. Win, lose or draw I still find it enjoyable to see this group of players come together, but like everyone else I'm hoping to see a bit more consistency sooner rather than later.

If all our young fellas play to their potential I'm quite confident we can win...the problem is I'm still not confident they can play to their potential away from home right now.

Bay56

First Grade
twistedbydesign said:
Playing Chalk back there is a huge risk - I used to love watching him play fullback but he hasn't played there consistently for so long and his positional play was never particularly impressive. One thing you know for sure with Chalky is he will have a genuine rip. Even Bronx's biggest fans couldn't commend his attempts to tackle Bowen and Graham last week. That said I would feel a lot more confident with Bronx or Milne on the wing than Brett Kelly!

C'mon dude how many fullbacks has Bowen made grasping at air ... and as far as the Graham incident Bronx was going one way expecting Tongue to make a tackle ... Tongue missed the tackle which placed Bronx on the wrong foot.

The fact is henry has not given him a good shot a cementing the spot ... if he'd done the same with Zilly after some of the c**k-ups he'd done we'd have had Chlak in a lot earlier than this.

I dont like some of the unrest that you hear off lately ... there's a fine line that a coach has to tread in relation to discipline ... cross that line and you get dissatisfied players which cna lead to a dissatisfied group ... I dont want a Brian Smith type mentality at this club.

Mal Meninga

Bench
Bronx's mistakes are probably magnified because of his mouth. Sometimes that cockyness can rub the coaches the wrong way and he's paying the price, unlike Zilly who seems like the head down and work to iron out the errors, which alot of coaches love.

Zillman has made some dead ordinary mistakes this year, nothing that can't be improved though.

legend

Coach
Zillman's positional play is his biggest hurdle. He still doesn't know where to stand and is not intuitive enough to be a first rate fullback at this stage of his career.

He needs to learn about the opposing team and start anticipating what they are going to do so he becomes a better fullback. It will all come in time.

remember the fullback is the last line of defence , so if the other backs defended like they should then Zillman or Bronx would not be put in that situation. Choc was awesome as last defender but he never should of been put under that much pressure. i agree with regard to positional play when kicks are put in behind the line , you must be able to read them , in some games there hasnt been a raider within sight of the ball, this is our big weakness and Im surprised alot more teams have not used this tactic. I'll assure you Sherwin will.Chalk be prepared.

Chachi

Bench
When the season is on the line you can forgive skill and experience errors.

It's a bit harder to forgive effort and attitude problems though.

legend

Coach
I find it very hard to forgive skill issues in a first grade side. In most cases, players will have played for at least ten years and in somce cases more at an elite level and elementary mistakes make me want to pull my hair out.

Chachi

Bench
Fair enough...that probably came out slightly wrong. I was trying to say that you can usually cop getting beaten by a better team or player (as an individual) but when it's mainly because you made a half arsed effort then that's a problem.

All players make mistakes. That's the beauty of sport. Yes it's a problem if a player continues to make the same mistake over and over again, but it's not like we're watching a production line of robots.

With Campese at lock and Tongue in the 2nd row, we have 2 players there who can play 80 mins. And we don't lose that much size really cos Campo is a big dude. He definitely has the build for lock. We may lose a bit of thrust, but i'm sure Campo will run it up hard. Plus with LL on the bench and Costigan starting, there's enough power in that backrow collectively.

But unfortunately it looks like it won't happen.

Dogaholic

First Grade
FYI Dogs team is going to look more like this....

1. Luke Patten Trent Cutler to PL
2. Hazem El Masri
3. Daryl Millard
4. Cameron Phelps Willie Tonga Out injured
5. Matt Utai Cameron Phelps shifts into the centres
6. Ben Roberts
7. Brent Sherwin
8. Jarrad Hickey
9. Corey Hughes
10. Chris Armit
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Andrew Ryan (c)
13. Reni Maitua

Interchange:
14. Adam Perry
15. Nick Kouparitsas
16. Fred Briggs
17. Mark O'Meley

Chachi

Bench
On paper the return of Patten is a massive bonus for the Dogs, as is O'Meley.

Hopefully our front row, bench and centres can do the job because that's where we may have a slight advantage. We really need to go hard at them early and get in the face of Williams and that drop kick Maitua in the hope they push some poor offloads.

One thing for sure we must play for the 80 minutes , we cant drop any intensity at all during the game , we have to match their kicking game , turn their big forwards around , we cant kick on the full to Patten he'll return it 20+ everytime. Picker has a big job to do , but with him looking after SBW it may free up TLL and costigan to run rampant down the other side.
as always as the week gets closer to the weekend i have more confidence on our boys doing the job, they have the potential , they need the attitude and turn up.
Furner in his article on the raiders web site is talking about Tonguey been some hope , did he write this before Tongue was ruled out?
Whats the chance Campo getting a run?

Mal Meninga

Bench
legend said:
Zillman's positional play is his biggest hurdle. He still doesn't know where to stand and is not intuitive enough to be a first rate fullback at this stage of his career.

He needs to learn about the opposing team and start anticipating what they are going to do so he becomes a better fullback. It will all come in time.
Needs alot of work in the kicking game. Alot of teams with a good kicker can mesmerize him, he's usually stuck near the goal posts or no where to be found when a kick goes in behind. Another problem is that he's prone to the clanger ingoal, it's all mental with Zillman.

Talent wise he's got it but his concentration has to be worked on, it's like catching a bomb, Zilly has struggled with it all season.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bay56 said:
C'mon dude how many fullbacks has Bowen made grasping at air ... and as far as the Graham incident Bronx was going one way expecting Tongue to make a tackle ... Tongue missed the tackle which placed Bronx on the wrong foot.

The fact is henry has not given him a good shot a cementing the spot ... if he'd done the same with Zilly after some of the c**k-ups he'd done we'd have had Chlak in a lot earlier than this.

I dont like some of the unrest that you hear off lately ... there's a fine line that a coach has to tread in relation to discipline ... cross that line and you get dissatisfied players which cna lead to a dissatisfied group ... I dont want a Brian Smith type mentality at this club.

C'mon dude, how many fullbacks failed to put their body on the line and make a solid attempt at tackling Matt Bowen?

A: All except for B.Goodwin

And as you're aware, im a big bronx goodwin fan, but that sort of effort cant be tollerated

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
C'mon dude, how many fullbacks failed to put their body on the line and make a solid attempt at tackling Matt Bowen?

A: All except for B.Goodwin

And as you're aware, im a big bronx goodwin fan, but that sort of effort cant be tollerated

Quite frankly I couldnt give a flying f**k ... some of Henry's selections are mind boggling to say the least.

A good coach has confidence in his young players and can supply enough tuition to take him the next step ... Henry's solution is to drop them to PL with instruction 'get your game sorted out".

I've seen enough mistakes from senior players like Withers to also merit a stint in PL but Henry does not dish out the same treatment. And then you get the soft c**ks like Tilse running around while Mr 110% Rothery doesnt get a look in.

Zillman missed many a tackle, dropped the ball at crucial stages and didnt show enough determination to gather a kick on a number of occassions but not a hint of being dropped.

Milne out one week, in the next, Bronx in and out from FB to wing to PL.

Get settled on a combination Henry and give the youngsters a chance to prove themselves.

Add to this the silly suspension of Carney mid-season and we've had a season that by round 26 we'll all be asking what could have been.

After Round 11 I gave Henry a glowing report ... I'm not so sure atm.

I see a bit of Brian Smith in Henry ... I'd hope that season 2008 does not see the same chopping and changing in FG.

sydraider

First Grade
Quite frankly I couldnt give a flying f**k ... some of Henry's selections are mind boggling to say the least.- Agree

A good coach has confidence in his young players and can supply enough tuition to take him the next step ... Henry's solution is to drop them to PL with instruction 'get your game sorted out". - Totally Agree

I've seen enough mistakes from senior players like Withers to also merit a stint in PL but Henry does not dish out the same treatment. - Agree

Zillman missed many a tackle, dropped the ball at crucial stages and didnt show enough determination to gather a kick on a number of occassions but not a hint of being dropped.- True

Get settled on a combination Henry and give the youngsters a chance to prove themselves.- Is what we were hoping for

I see a bit of Brian Smith in Henry ... I'd hope that season 2008 does not see the same chopping and changing in FG.- I dont, Henry gives better half time speeches.

bileduct

Coach
Bay56 said:
Quite frankly I couldnt give a flying f**k ... some of Henry's selections are mind boggling to say the least.

Add to this the silly suspension of Carney mid-season and we've had a season that by round 26 we'll all be asking what could have been.

What the?

What kind of club would the Raiders be if they'd sat back and done nothing over the incident?

When it comes to mind boggling, some of your statements are certainly up there.

Bay56

First Grade
bileduct said:
What the?

What kind of club would the Raiders be if they'd sat back and done nothing over the incident?

When it comes to mind boggling, some of your statements are certainly up there.

where did I state that the club should have 'sat back and and done nothing' ?

please explain your mind boggling statement mate