What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs Roosters

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
See I'm 50/50 on Herbert He probably got more ball today then any game in his short career and although he took a while to warm up he did a few things which made me think he could have turned a corner and that run in particular when he beat 3 or 4 and showed surprisingly good foot work was great!...He sill has much to prove and isn't safe BUT! certainly deserved another week or 2 b4 we consider replacing him IMO.. again Harrison and campo (in the first half) were great. Whole game changes if Purtel catches that bloody easy pass!

shear_joy9

Coach
See I'm 50/50 on Herbert He probably got more ball today then any game in his short career and although he took a while to warm up he did a few things which made me think he could have turned a corner and that run in particular when he beat 3 or 4 and showed surprisingly good foot work was great!...He sill has much to prove and isn't safe BUT! certainly deserved another week or 2 b4 we consider replacing him IMO.. again Harrison and campo (in the first half) were great. Whole game changes if Purtel catches that bloody easy pass!

that was a very strange play. It was like he was running in slow motion and the roosters defenders were just diving left and right. Mona's then beat a few himself.

Ofcourse the ball was dropped a few plays later.

trev

Juniors
It's difficult to work out just where things went wrong today. No doubt the heat contributed to the problems, but there seemed to be a Raiders team out there who played from a few seasons ago...

In recent seasons, there has always been a problem with attacking on the line. There doesn't really seem to be much creativity going on. In the second half of last season they had some set-plays happening, and even last week there were far more options being created, however, this week it was just not there.

They lacked discipline and determination. When things went wrong, they just got frustrated. The Roosters held their form for the whole game, even when things went bad for them.

What was so disappointing for me is that a 1-legged Anthony Minichiello scored. How pathetic is that for defense!!!

I think Herbert will come good next week. He was ill last week and was probably not at full fitness.

Anyway, I'm not completely losing hope yet...give me another month to re-assess.

aussies1st

Staff member
Herbert looks to have good footwork but his organisation skills don't look great and his short kicking game was non existant. Whoever our halfback is needs to take control when we are in the opposition 20 and allow Campo to chip in rather than being the chief playmaker as his short kicking game ain't the greatest.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Carney played crap again today and should definately play elsewhere for a while to regain some basic skills he has lost

I didn't think Carney played badly last week. Haven't seen today's match yet because of work. Its disappointing though because these early losses have been against bottom 8 sides (imo of course).

I hope this is just early season wobbles.. because we know how reluctant management were to make changes when elliot was in charge.

BPS

Juniors
I had $150 on the raiders today and was very frustrated with their performance.

I'd like to point out a few things I noticed without meaning to be a smartar5e.

It was obvious that they went sideways all game instead of straight up the middle.
If they had run from dummy half and kept it simple I think they would have won because the Roosters wer'nt overly good.

The biggest problem I noticed was with Campese. One wonders if the rest of the Canberra players are happy playing next to him?? He seemed to be abusing his team mates a lot and I wonder if his attitude played a role in Canberra's frustrating play??
I wonder if Campese may get 2nd year syndrome?? as a play maker?

They were very easy to defend against today because everything came from Campese. He needs a foil or a more active halfback.

Still, Canberra beat themselves today and had they simplified their game and just taken it up the middle with their small men running from dummy half I reckon they would've won.
It was like they thought they were goin to beat the Roosters by 50 without having to do any of the hard work.

I usually like watching Canberra play but they were very poor today.

I dont think its no coincidence the Tigers played sh*te as well. we were well below Fg standard no arguments , but what did last week take out of us? Todays play the ball was much slower than any game over the last 2 weeks.
Losing Thommo so early hurt us big time and then Butts at halftime. running 2 short for the second half you could see that we were buggered.

In saying that we had so much ball in their 20 ( over 50 times come games end ) we should of done a bit better with our 5th tackle options. we also lacked running angles and decoys, we just spread the ball wide and the Rooters defence just slid with it , to easy to contain.

I wouldnt weild the axe , The Herb wasnt terrible he did do some good things, I like the looks of Croker and it was good to see TLL back.
Miller goes hard but he shouldnt be starting , hopefully we get Tilse and Logan back, fingers crossed Thommo is Ok, he was missed. Shillo needs to hit the line harder , it looks as if he hits and drops, they may have targeted him today more but that was his doing anyway.

In summary we couldnt of played any worse , we can only improve. Rock on round 3.

Timbo

Staff member
The biggest problem I noticed was with Campese. One wonders if the rest of the Canberra players are happy playing next to him?? He seemed to be abusing his team mates a lot and I wonder if his attitude played a role in Canberra's frustrating play??

They deserved it today. He was the only one trying.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
i gotta agree, i dont expect him to sit around saying "its ok" every tackle, cause thats how often we stuffed up...his bound to snap. In saying that i couldnt stand when i would play and hear some dude yell, although i never made 200k a year so my opinion is slightly different.

I agree also , Campo is in the leadership group ( he was voted in by his peers ), he is a leader and he had every right ripping into them.
At halftime it showed Campo talking to the troops , Furner was standing near by.

Macko8

Juniors
first thing is first.
furner and the team clearly have to fix our attacking options.
There was lack of attack out there and didnt even look like scoring a point.
Campese can get us 40/20's and can put us in great field position,but what we need is our halfback to take the pressure off of campo and start getting involved in our attack.
and im not sure marc herbert is the right bloke for the job.sure he should have another chance,but we need a halfback to back up campo and call 50% of the shots.

I dont think the herb was 100%, he couldnt of been , he had been sick for 2 weeks this had to have affected his energy levels , timing etc.
We saw what the Herb offered last year , but the things we halfbacks and 5/8 is that they need the forwards to go forward and create space , we didnt do that yesterday, no Tilse , Logan or Thommo is a big factor and Shillo making himself a target isnt good either.

Purts dropped a ball with the line open, as did TLL, we take those chances then we probably win.

Macko8

Juniors
I dont think the herb was 100%, he couldnt of been , he had been sick for 2 weeks this had to have affected his energy levels , timing etc.
We saw what the Herb offered last year , but the things we halfbacks and 5/8 is that they need the forwards to go forward and create space , we didnt do that yesterday, no Tilse , Logan or Thommo is a big factor and Shillo making himself a target isnt good either.

Purts dropped a ball with the line open, as did TLL, we take those chances then we probably win.

I couldnt agree more.
If purtell did score in the corner,than that might of been the kick in the arse they need.
All about momentum

Macko8

Juniors

I couldnt agree more.
If purtell did score in the corner,than that might of been the kick in the arse they needed
All about momentum

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
We saw what the Herb offered last year

That's something i heard the commentators waxing lyrical about. My memory ain't the greatest, but i don't remember Herb doing anymore or less last year than he is this year. I wouldn't right him off for good, i mean it did take campo a few years more than normal to hit his stride. But i don't think that the herb is up to first grade yet.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
That's something i heard the commentators waxing lyrical about. My memory ain't the greatest, but i don't remember Herb doing anymore or less last year than he is this year. I wouldn't right him off for good, i mean it did take campo a few years more than normal to hit his stride. But i don't think that the herb is up to first grade yet.

Spot on, he may have looked to have gone better than he did as the team was going well at the time. It is only when the team is struggling that you see the true character of a player. I was watching closely yesterday and when Campo would take a play to the left, for example, you would expect to see your halfback barking instructions for the next play. I can't be 100% sure, but on one occassion I am sure I saw Herbert back on the halfway building a sandcastle. I have only seen McCrone in the lower grades but he appears a far better organiser and has played plenty of football with Campo. Will be very disappointed if the change isn't made for this weeks game.

shear_joy9

Coach
Biggest problem is that it is now 2-halves of football the team has been held scoreless. Would have been 3 if not for a last minute try.

I'd like to know what the half-time talks were like because there're not doing the job.

Macko8

Juniors
Yesterdays game reminded me so much of round 1 2007 against manly at brookvale,just the way we got good field position and couldnt bust the defensive line.
carney and dobson were the halves on that occasion.

Im all for giving herbert another shot in first grade,when of course his 100%,but his playing like he doesnt want to be out there.
Josh McCrone,Matt Smith or Mick Picker.Id be interested in giving one of those blokes a go.
But i think Travis Waddell has to get a look in at the hooking role in FG sometime during 2009.

Latest posts