What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raiders vs Warriors

raidersforme

Juniors
The Canberra Raiders have named Terry Campese and Alan Tongue to return for this Saturday's clash with the Warriors at Canberra Stadium.

1. David Howell
2. David Milne
3. Phil Graham
4. Colin Best
5. Brett Kelly
6. Terry Campese
7. Todd Carney
8. Dane Tilse
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe
10. Scott Logan
11. Matt Bickerstaff
12. Glen Turner
13. Alan Tongue (C)

Subs:
14. Lincoln Withers
15. Trevor Thurling
16. Neville Costigan
17. Michael Weyman
18. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

I am glad to see campese back but where's goodwin

raidersforme

Juniors
Terry Campese has been recalled to the Raiders side this weekend, for the Green Machine's all important clash with the New Zealand Warriors at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.
Campese returns to the Raiders starting line-up at five-eighth with Todd Carney moving into halfback, which means Michael Dobson has been moved back to the Premier League.
Marshall Chalk has also been replaced at fullback this weekend by David Howell who has shifted to the back after two matches on the wing. Chalk’s departure means a recall for David Milne, who will take his place back on the Raiders wing.
Ryan Hinchliffe has been named at hooker and will start the match as he did against the Bulldogs last weekend, with the tough Raiders utility Lincoln Withers once again starting from the bench.
In the biggest boost for the Raiders their Captain Alan Tongue has been named in his usual position of lock, but will still have to be passed fit before he can take his place on Saturday.
Trevor Thurling is the only other new face for the Raiders, as he come onto the bench for Joe Picker. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs has been named as 18th man.
NRL ROUND 23
CANBERRA RAIDERS V NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
CANBERRA STADIUM, SATURDAY AUGUST 18, 7.30pm
1. DAVID HOWELL
2. DAVID MILNE
3. PHIL GRAHAM
4. COLIN BEST
5. BRETT KELLY
6. TERRY CAMPESE
7. TODD CARNEY
8. DANE TILSE
9. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE
10. SCOTT LOGAN
11. MATT BICKERSTAFF
12. GLEN TURNER
13. ALAN TONGUE (c)
14. LINCOLN WITHERS
15. TREVOR THURLING
16. NEVILLE COSTIGAN
17. MICHAEL WEYMAN
18. TOM LEAROYD-LAHRS
spacer.gif

http://www.raiders.com.au/www/detail_desc.php?news_id=413

thickos

First Grade
Glad Milne has been given another go. Kelly is hopeless though, get Goodwin back in there.

I'm worried for our creativity with Campo-Carney who seem to stifle each other.

Howell at the back... I would have had Graham or Best there before him...

Timbo

Staff member
Has anyone ever seen Howell play fullback before?

I recall when we signed him that he was billed as a winger/fullback but I've never seen him there...I think it might work though, he's got very safe hands and is a good returner of the ball.

Good to see Campese back, I still think we need to keep Dobson on deck though for the sake of his confidence.

Bit stumped about Kelly though, he's waaaaay out of his depth, and Goodwin would have been a far better choice.

I don't know if anyone's noticed this, but with Milne and Kelly on the flanks, we have two of the worst players at the club under the high ball on the wings. Howell will be a very busy boy on Saturday night.

Didnt he play fullback in his return in PL? Im glad Thurling, campo and Tongue are there, Im glad Kelly and chalk are gone after last weeks efforts. I agree where is Goodwin? Has there been a team named this year that everyone has been happy with , there always seems to be questionable selection.
I dont think Hinchcliffe gives good dummy half service ? Im not looking forward to this one and I dont care that we're playing at home , the warriors are the form team at the moment they won so well last week wothout their fullback wade.

raidersforme

Juniors
Fullback Wade McKinnon and winger Michael Crockett both return for the Vodafone Warriors’ NRL encounter with the Raiders in Canberra on Saturday night.
An ankle injury kept McKinnon out of last Saturday night’s 30-6 win over the Gold Coast Titans while Crockett withdrew from the side after originally being selected.
With the pair set to rejoin the line-up, Crockett’s replacement Patrick Ah Van will again turn out for the Vodafone Auckland Lions in their New South Wales Premier League match against Canberra while Byrne has been named as 18th man for the Vodafone Warriors.
Byrne was brought in to take McKinnon’s spot against the Titans in what was his 100th first-grade match.
“Todd did a terrific job for us coming in for Wade,” said head coach Ivan Cleary.
“And Paddy was great, too, but we’re in the situation where Wade and Michael are again available and we have to make some hard calls.”
Nathan Fien, a late call-up to run on at hooker against the Titans, has been named as the starting No 9 with George Gatis coming off the bench.

VODAFONE WARRIORS v CANBERRA RAIDERS
Canberra Stadium, Canberra
7.30pm, Saturday, August 18

1 WADE McKINNON
2 MICHAEL CROCKETT
3 JEROME ROPATI
4 SIMON MANNERING
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 MICHAEL WITT
7 GRANT ROVELLI
8 SAM RAPIRA
9 NATHAN FIEN
10 STEVE PRICE (c)
11 RUBEN WIKI (vc)
12 LOGAN SWANN
13 MICHEAL LUCK

Interchange:
14 WAIRANGI KOOPU
15 EVARN TUIMAVAVE
16 EPALAHAME LAUAKI
18 GEORGE GATIS

18th MAN: TODD BYRNE

Source: www.warriors.co.nz

That is a strong side, Hopefully we have some late inclusions to ours namely GOODWIN

Chachi

Bench
We are going to get absolutely smashed. There's about 17 players in that Warriors side that could cut us to pieces if we defend like we did last week. Alan Tongue is dead set the only player I would trust to do the job when we're defending close to our line.

Bickerstaff and Weyman are very lucky boys IMO. I'll be VERY interested to see Howell at FB. He's pretty good under the high ball and he tends to play with a lot more urgency than Chalk or Goodwin when getting to the ball. At least we won't get him rushing out of the defensive line so it might actually mitigate one of his weaknesses too.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic supporter but on form and fitness that is almost the worst Raiders team I have seen for years. I'll be there cheering them along and I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but I'm prepared for another heartbreaking loss.

Macko8

Juniors
Expect our forwards eg bickers and turner to be ran over the top of

For the life of me i cannot understand why Costigan and TLL arnt named as the starting pairing in the 2nd row,that would be the logical thing to do.

Campos back yew.
Howell at fullback, interesting to see how he goes.

Chachi said:
We are going to get absolutely smashed. There's about 17 players in that Warriors side that could cut us to pieces if we defend like we did last week. Alan Tongue is dead set the only player I would trust to do the job when we're defending close to our line.

Bickerstaff and Weyman are very lucky boys IMO. I'll be VERY interested to see Howell at FB. He's pretty good under the high ball and he tends to play with a lot more urgency than Chalk or Goodwin when getting to the ball. At least we won't get him rushing out of the defensive line so it might actually mitigate one of his weaknesses too.

I'm usually a pretty optimistic supporter but on form and fitness that is almost the worst Raiders team I have seen for years. I'll be there cheering them along and I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but I'm prepared for another heartbreaking loss.

on last weeks form the warriors could send out a grade C team and still beat us.
Like you I aleays like to be optimistic but this week I think thats near impossible.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I have still got my doubts about Rovelli and Witt and we need to put pressure on them from the get go. Goes without saying that Vatuvei should also be bombed at the first opportunity. I know the Warriors have strung a few wins together but I don't think they have been that impressive. Back to a Saturday night in Canberra, I would say we are a good chance of upsetting them, providing of course that the boys decide to have a go.

Bay56

First Grade
centre combination #20 for the season

halves combination #10

Howell at FB ... he'll field the ball and run towards the sideline .. we'll be starting all our attack from 10m out

Has Rothers stepped on Henry's cats tail ??

ohh boy

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: you're a classic bay, a complete dolt at times, but classic

Our centre combination has been incredably stable since Henry put Best there. Graham and Purtell were our men untill injury, and then Best was mixed in with chalk and cross until Graham was fit... wheres the issue?

and as for the halves, we've used 4 to my recollection... TC - Dobson, TC - Campese, Dobson - Campese (when TC was suspended) and withers had about 30 minutes of footy there...

Bay56

First Grade
dont take things so literal mate ...

I was was going to post 'centre combination #100' but thought better lest someone like yourself picked up on it ... never please some people :roll:

I think most here would understand the thrust of my post but I wont go into too much detail for a dolt like yourself :lol:

btw wou've gained a lot of weight since I saw you last in the flesh

shear_joy9

Coach
Just quietly, I want the Warriors to put a cricket score on the Raiders.
Maybe it will turn the spot-light on our super coach and staff.

Bay56

First Grade
shear_joy9 said:
Just quietly, I want the Warriors to put a cricket score on the Raiders.
Maybe it will turn the spot-light on our super coach and staff.

I would never openly admit to that but I understand where you are coming from mate.

I gave Henry a glowing report after round 11 and I wish him the best in 2008, but his selections in the second half of the season (including Carney suspension) have me thinking twice.

Therefore for the time being he has lost my confidence and therefore my support. I'll have a better idea by early 2008 to which I will have formed a firm opinion on the man.

And then it could start all over again, Nego's MKII ... SACK THE COACH !!! :lol:

mongoose

Coach
We won't get flogged like last week if we turn up with the right attitude. Team selections is not the be all and end all.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bay56 said:
btw wou've gained a lot of weight since I saw you last in the flesh

:lol: thanks mate, i was actually thinking myself when i saw you that your looking more optimistic then when i saw you in the flesh. The receding hair line suits you imo.