What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ramsey No Try

be55

Juniors
Anyone heard how he is ......sorry if its already reported on here somewhere
Heard on SEN this evening that the "NRL" doctor said that it's not syndesmosis and he's thinking he'll miss 1-3 weeks...

Don't know how accurate that is, they did say the nrl doctor and it is SEN but as long as it's not syndesmosis that's a great outcome...

Just reporting what i heard...i suppose we'll know more during the week...

True_Believer

Juniors
4. The camera angle replay that Chiddy was talking his decision through was BEHIND the try line and in no way a reliable angle to say that the ball travelled forward off Birds arm.

I believe that FOX don't have access to all of the angles that are available to the bunker. So it's not a given that what the bunker was looking at was what we were seeing on the screen.

Maddragon99

Juniors
The interesting part of that try / no try is I thought the ball went backwards off Birds forearm so play on for me.
Also I thought that Bird got the ball down quickly in the corner but for some reason they were only showing footage from the far side of the ground.
Maybe I’m one eyed so please correct me if I’m speaking utter sh!t.
Surely the Bunker should only be ruling on howlers not subjective knockons? The ref was best placed to make the call. I’m not happy with this new rule if this is the way it’s going it’s going to be used.

Or use the NFL rule where all scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

That 50/50 decision was critical at that stage of the game.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Heard on SEN this evening that the "NRL" doctor said that it's not syndesmosis and he's thinking he'll miss 1-3 weeks...

Don't know how accurate that is, they did say the nrl doctor and it is SEN but as long as it's not syndesmosis that's a great outcome...

Yes I hope so too. Ramsey put in the extra effort to get across the line in what turned out to be a no try. Pretty disappointing all round really.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

Thanks bud

possm

Coach
How about Wood’s try. Clearly pulled down short of the line, sent up no try with ref believing it was short of the line, his momentum is stopped then a sneaky little lift to get the ball on the line and video ref says momentum got him to the line. Pleeeaaassseee. The video ref screwed us multiple times last night
Will St George complain?
Will the video ref be held accountable?

_Johnsy

Referee
This won't be a popular opinion re: Ramsey try, during live play I said Bird has knocked that on. I have no dramas with what occurred, so long as we get the right decision in the end. I'm just hopeful that when it swings around and we get the rub of the green it is in as, or more important context of that game and the result goes our way.

possm

Coach
This won't be a popular opinion re: Ramsey try, during live play I said Bird has knocked that on. I have no dramas with what occurred, so long as we get the right decision in the end. I'm just hopeful that when it swings around and we get the rub of the green it is in as, or more important context of that game and the result goes our way.
I felt the Sharks got more than their fair share of the rub of the green in round 1. It happens sometimes but with us it hapens against us more often than not.

Said it the game day thread that this new 'rule' sucks out the excitement of seeing a try awarded.
I actually agree with you.
I think it is a very stupid rule. Are not we all used to a "try" being sent to the bunker for them to review? It's been going on for over 20 years now hasn't it?
At least then the crowd can get an idea to what is going on, yes they may not always get it right but at least the crowds mind is tuned into conjecture not outright celebration.
Actually I dont think it is stupid, I think it is ludicrous.

For the record, Birdy's first touch was the knock on, not the second more obvious one, that one was very unsure.

possm

Coach
I think it is a very stupid rule. Are not we all used to a "try" being sent to the bunker for them to review? It's been going on for over 20 years now hasn't it?
At least then the crowd can get an idea to what is going on, yes they may not always get it right but at least the crowds mind is tuned into conjecture not outright celebration.

For the record, Birdy's first touch was the knock on, not the second more obvious one, that one was very unsure.
I'd like to see all tries confirmed by the bunker prior to the ref awarding a try. With the techology they have now, all we need is some smarter people in the bunker; maybe someone with a decent IQ and 20/20 vision.

From what I saw, and I have looked at it a few times now, the ball went backwards of Birds elbow. It should have been awarded a try.

I mean what would it take in this digital era, for a grid to be overlaid on a still frame to determine if the ball went back or forward. With all the millions the NRL has spent on the bunker, surely this would be a valuable tool.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

I “think” the line of argument for it is, that by awarding the try it gives back the spontaneity or celebration to the fan rather the delay etc. Some of the commentators appeared to be backing it on the weekend as the preferred option. Personally, i wouldn’t have the Bunker in any form whatsoever. Not worth the talk discussion or effort after all these years.. Refs decision stands .. ditto Cricket....

I'd like to see all tries confirmed by the bunker prior to the ref awarding a try. With the techology they have now, all we need is some smarter people in the bunker; maybe someone with a decent IQ and 20/20 vision.

From what I saw, and I have looked at it a few times now, the ball went backwards of Birds elbow. It should have been awarded a try.

I mean what would it take in this digital era, for a grid to be overlaid on a still frame to determine if the ball went back or forward. With all the millions the NRL has spent on the bunker, surely this would be a valuable tool.
I agree with you about going to the bunker first.
I'm pretty sure the knock on they called was before he hit the ball with his elbow.

BLM01

First Grade
The new rule is fine except Willow is right the only difference it’s changed the order of going to the video ref

what they haven’t changed or addressed is the video ref applying a bit of commonsense and BOD to normal speed play
looking for 500 ways, angles. Freeze frames and slow speed footage to take a try off somebody... that’s the problem
They were supposed to speed up that process and have one or two quick looks if it looks reasonable give it to them if it doesn’t then take it away
the more they look the more doubt
So ref decision should prevail and BOD on that basis

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I think the rule has merit, but only for the howlers. Not for the ones that you have to watch 20 times, in slow motion, and it is still indecisive.
And to add the xtra xtra time it takes which in turn gives the defending team time to have a further rest

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Was Johnny King held in the mud before getting up to score in 63? Did Bruce Starkey’s pass go forward to John Jansen in 77 Grand Final? Did Freddy Jones plant the ball in 72 GF....part of the game, swings and roundabouts.....Appreciate some like the bunker but i’m not a fan. I don’t want to watch a forensic science experiment every time someone scores and have plenty of mates that feel the same.

The NRL thinks it’s exciting to fans. I beg to differ; i find it boring and usually get up and put the kettle on when they go through all that crap so i don’t have to watch a dozen replays and listen to commentators that differ in their views anyway. .... Drink a lot of tea during a game....

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The obsession to get the decision 'right' seems to be driving this. Doesn't matter how long it takes "as long as we get it right in the end." Problem is, they're not getting it right.

IMO, we're forgetting that this is a game played and administered by humans, and humans make mistakes. The players, the coaches, the NRL and yes, the referees as well. Sometimes we just have to accept the call.

Sure, we can yell out that it was a rubbish decision, as is our right, but in most cases we move on knowing that these things tend to even out over a season.

Unfortunately, in this quest for 'perfection', we're only making it worse. The video angles aren't always conclusive, the use of slomo is unrealistic and the video refs are prone to human error as they make subjective, arbitrary or even biased decisions.

In the meantime, the game stops, people get frustrated and some head for the exit gates or change channels.

RedVDave

First Grade
IMO it was a no try correct call was made Raiders had one overturned as well. Reality is we were simply not good enough on the night now onto the cowboys let's hope we have more success.