What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

WA Tiger

Bench
OMG

NRL news 2021: Wests Tigers centre of excellence, aboriginal artefact found at Concord Oval | Fox Sports

Stunning Aboriginal find beneath Wests Tigers’ $75m headquarters 

Work has been delayed on part of the $75 million redevelopment of Concord Oval where Wests Tigers Centre of Excellence will be based after an Aboriginal artefact the size of a thumbnail was discovered.

ec11151122175e08d5c15ac236f157e6
So its official. WT are now "THE OFFICIAL INDIGENOUS PATHWAYS CLUB:" ( we now have the proof) so we can pick and choose which star Indigenous players we want NOW regardless of who they are contracted to NOW. Welcome home boys!!!

This
so we call it rhyno ?

Rhyno is misunderstood.

In the real world he walks around parra picking up recyclables, cashing them in and sending the days work to Calcutta for orphans.

Then after multiple good deeds and kindness, he gets onto lu and goes beserker.

After his hate-fix it’s back to generosity and love for the weak, oppressed and vulnerable.

I think my buddy @murraymob has similar high tolerance insight. Life is too short.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
Not directly Tigers related but I did read Benjis press release about him spraying Cook and how he needs to lift his passing game and after the tears of laughter had stopped I thought thank goodness he left, what an absolute cock head

stryker

First Grade
Not directly Tigers related but I did read Benjis press release about him spraying Cook and how he needs to lift his passing game and after the tears of laughter had stopped I thought thank goodness he left, what an absolute c**k head
Benji has a point.

stryker

First Grade
So its official. WT are now "THE OFFICIAL INDIGENOUS PATHWAYS CLUB:" ( we now have the proof) so we can pick and choose which star Indigenous players we want NOW regardless of who they are contracted to NOW. Welcome home boys!!!
f**k me, that’s not going to help.
Chuck that shit in the river and move on

Iol benji and his stupid passing comments.

I spose the rabbits don’t flog each other for bad passing at training like we do.

He’s been there 5 minutes and already ordering their legends around.

I’m sorry, but he has to play v us and we need to f**king flatten him.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Tigers burning bright

Hats off to the Wests Tigers for their recruitment over the off-season. The aforementioned Daine Laurie was a standout on Sunday night, with Joe Ofahengaue, James Tamou, James Roberts and Stefano Utoikamanu all proving they will be handy additions to Michael Maguire’s side.

Former head of football Kelly Egan left a lot to be desired with some of his choices during his time at the club, but his successor Adam Hartigan has done an exceptional job getting some of the best young players in the game as well as adding value-for-money signings.

They may not play finals football this year, but the recruitment and systems in place has them well positioned to become the powerhouse they should be.

By Michael Chammas
February 28, 2021 — 7.45pm
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...ily-at-teen-star-s-trial-20210224-p575l9.html

Tigerm

First Grade
Tigers burning bright

Hats off to the Wests Tigers for their recruitment over the off-season. The aforementioned Daine Laurie was a standout on Sunday night, with Joe Ofahengaue, James Tamou, James Roberts and Stefano Utoikamanu all proving they will be handy additions to Michael Maguire’s side.

Former head of football Kelly Egan left a lot to be desired with some of his choices during his time at the club, but his successor Adam Hartigan has done an exceptional job getting some of the best young players in the game as well as adding value-for-money signings.

They may not play finals football this year, but the recruitment and systems in place has them well positioned to become the powerhouse they should be.

By Michael Chammas
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...ily-at-teen-star-s-trial-20210224-p575l9.html
I think we will play finals this year.

Tigerm

First Grade
A new cat in town: can Tiger Laurie bump Mbye from Maguire’s team?
By Adam Pengilly
February 28, 2021 — 6.57pm

Matt Burton might have been watching Daine Laurie on Sunday and thinking about the possibilities, because a few weeks ago Laurie was stuck at Penrith with nowhere to go. If he played a couple of NRL games this year it might have been an achievement, then he could have packed his bags for Concord and tried to ignite his career.

But the Tigers got creative. They offered Paul Momirovski in a player swap — this one permanent — and dragged the livewire fullback into the fold 12 months ahead of schedule.

At this rate he will have a section of the Wayne Pearce Hill named in his honour by the end of the season.

As for Burton, like Laurie he too will have to leave Ivan Cleary’s record-breakers for opportunity. It will be with Canterbury in 2022 at this stage. Penrith have every right to stand their ground, but watching Laurie shine might have sharpened Trent Barrett’s resolve with Burton.

Laurie, 21, is emblematic of what coach Michael Maguire has been chasing for a few years: depth to create selection headaches. Moses Mbye was the frontrunner for the fullback jersey until Laurie boarded a bus for Tamworth and a pre-season camp.

Now, how does Maguire leave Laurie out of the season opener against Canberra after a scintillating display in the Tigers’ only serious trial?

He scored two tries inside the first 12 minutes as Mbye sat out the game with a hamstring complaint. The Tigers flogged the Sea Eagles 52-18, and it could have been more. Laurie had a hand in others and was the spark the Tigers have been looking for at the back since James Tedesco flew the coop.

“I was pretty rattled [joining the club], but I knew a couple of the boys that came over from Penrith,” Laurie said. “It made the move pretty good. It was good to get an opportunity. When they told me to come over here I was excited.

“If the opportunity comes [in round one], I’ll take it with both hands, but it’s up to Madge [Maguire] and the coaching staff.”

Manly coach Des Hasler didn’t bother playing Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Jake Trbojevic and Dylan Walker. Ben Trbojevic was on the scoresheet, but it was about the only bright note for the Sea Eagles.

“It was a trial so you can’t take too much more out of it than that,” Hasler said. “We came into the trial with seven players out.”

Hasler watched Cade Cust, one of the last contenders for the hooking spot, leave the field midway through the first half with an arm injury.

As each of the Tigers’ summer recruits left the field for early showers, the Leichhardt grandstand cheered. James Roberts, who latched onto a Luke Brooks kick to score in the second half, was afforded one of the loudest.

If nothing else, a Roberts and Joey Leilua centre pairing will be wildly entertaining this year. Roberts almost scored with his first touch in Tigers colours, then missed a tackle on Jack Gosiewski on his next involvement which led to a long Manly break.

Leilua missed the game with a minor foot complaint, but few could have missed the impact of his younger brother Luciano. As Luciano’s old club St George Illawarra crash and burn through the pre-season, every Red V fan wonders how he slipped through the net.

It wasn’t just Laurie who shone from the new boys. Captain James Tamou and fellow prop Joe Ofanhengaue were strong in an opening stint, likewise Stefano Utoikamanu, and Jacob Liddle looked every bit the hooker the Tigers thought he was going to be.

The Tigers blasted to a 22-6 lead at the break, not surprising when Reuben Garrick’s kick-off almost sailed into the first row on the northern concourse.

Hasler has shown in previous years he cares little for rolling out big guns in trials, and this result wouldn’t have been a big shock as the Tigers notched a half-century with eight minutes to go.

Tiger05

First Grade
Where do you pick Mbye from round 2. I reckon you have to play both hookers. So Liddle Starting and Simkpin to come on. You can't have a utility player on the bench. AD plays 6 from round 2. Laurie to me has looked too good to leave out of the team and he has to get a starting spot.

Laurie to 1 for round 1 and assuming he kills it the spot is his.That leaves Mbye playing 6 round 1 but getting dropped out of the team completely for round 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mbye gets first shot at the fullback spot but he is up against some pretty good competition.

Geez we've had a great recruitment year.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Where do you pick Mbye from round 2. I reckon you have to play both hookers. So Liddle Starting and Simkpin to come on. You can't have a utility player on the bench. AD plays 6 from round 2. Laurie to me has looked too good to leave out of the team and he has to get a starting spot.

Laurie to 1 for round 1 and assuming he kills it the spot is his.That leaves Mbye playing 6 round 1 but getting dropped out of the team completely for round 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mbye gets first shot at the fullback spot but he is up against some pretty good competition.

Geez we've had a great recruitment year.
Rd 2 Id pick Mbye in the NSW cup team where he belongs.If we r serious about climbing up the ladder & becoming a contender then Mbye doesn’t make our top 17.

Tiger05

First Grade
Rd 2 Id pick Mbye in the NSW cup team where he belongs.If we r serious about climbing up the ladder & becoming a contender then Mbye doesn’t make our top 17.

I had Mbye at fullback and I think the club did as well prior to the trials. Laurie has killed it though and Jake Simpkin looked fantastic as well. Unless Mbye has a huge 1st game I'm not sure you can pick him.

We'd again have two of our highest paid players - Mbye and Packer - not making the top team.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
‘I just wanted a normal life’: Why Roberts almost quit the NRL
By Adam Pengilly
March 1, 2021 — 4.00pm

A “hungry” James Roberts has admitted he thought about walking away from the NRL and leading a “normal life” free of the media spotlight before rekindling his love for the game at the Wests Tigers.

Roberts, 27, said his headspace was the best it had been for years as he fights to resurrect a career hanging in the balance after last season at the Rabbitohs.

The former NSW representative spoke extensively for the first time about how close he came to quitting the NRL. He was released on compassionate grounds by South Sydney after a year in which he struggled with his mental health during COVID-19.

The Rabbitohs even pledged to provide financial help for his welfare after his exit from Redfern.

Many feared it would be the last club Roberts would play for in the NRL after a season-ending pectoral injury in 2020, but the speedster was handed a lifeline by the Tigers and old coach Michael Maguire, who Roberts crossed paths with at South Sydney.

“At one stage I was thinking of throwing it all in and just getting away from rugby league, the media and all [the] negative stuff and pressures and just focus on my family ... and I guess live a normal life,” Roberts said.

“Luckily I had some time away and I found that hunger again. I found a good balance with my family and I’m just enjoying everything.

“I can’t remember the last time [I was in such a good mindset], maybe in 2018 at the Broncos. I’ve got a clear head and I’m just enjoying my footy and enjoying my life outside of footy and there’s a lot to look forward to at the club.”

Roberts was at his electric best on his first appearance in Tigers colours as they walloped an under-strength Manly during a trial at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

He almost scored with his first touch, grabbed a Luke Brooks kick to touch down and also laid down next to fullback Daine Laurie on the sideline after both were given an early shower by Maguire.

Roberts’ cut-price deal with the Tigers could be one of the great heists of the season should he recapture the form that earned him a spot in Brad Fittler’s State of Origin squad a few years ago.

“I realised I really do love the game and it’s my dream to do what I do,” Roberts said. “I thought I would just give it another crack and just enjoy it more instead of making it my job. just enjoy coming training and laughing with the boys.

“I’ve sort of changed my whole mindset. [I’m] starting over and just being grateful for my job and the opportunity that I have, not worrying about the pressures and that outside noise. I’m just doing what I know I’m capable of [and] enjoying my day-to-day life as well outside of footy. I feel very comfy [at the club].”

Roberts will form a potent right-edge tandem with David Nofoaluma, but it’s the guidance of Maguire that helped salvage his career.

Maguire was in charge of the Rabbitohs when Roberts was sacked for off-field misdemeanours in 2012, but the coach saw enough in his former player to bring him to Concord.

“Over the years we’ve had our differences,” Roberts said. “I was a lot younger and a lot wilder. I had a few things going on. My priorities weren’t in order.

“Now I’m in a good mind frame and it’s good to work with him and try and excel my game on and off the field and help the young lads. He’s been really supportive of me and helped me a lot. And so is the club as well, so I’m really thankful for that.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...erts-almost-quit-the-nrl-20210301-p576sp.html

BrotherJim05

Bench
‘I just wanted a normal life’: Why Roberts almost quit the NRL
By Adam Pengilly
March 1, 2021 — 4.00pm

A “hungry” James Roberts has admitted he thought about walking away from the NRL and leading a “normal life” free of the media spotlight before rekindling his love for the game at the Wests Tigers.

Roberts, 27, said his headspace was the best it had been for years as he fights to resurrect a career hanging in the balance after last season at the Rabbitohs.

The former NSW representative spoke extensively for the first time about how close he came to quitting the NRL. He was released on compassionate grounds by South Sydney after a year in which he struggled with his mental health during COVID-19.

The Rabbitohs even pledged to provide financial help for his welfare after his exit from Redfern.

Many feared it would be the last club Roberts would play for in the NRL after a season-ending pectoral injury in 2020, but the speedster was handed a lifeline by the Tigers and old coach Michael Maguire, who Roberts crossed paths with at South Sydney.

“At one stage I was thinking of throwing it all in and just getting away from rugby league, the media and all [the] negative stuff and pressures and just focus on my family ... and I guess live a normal life,” Roberts said.

“Luckily I had some time away and I found that hunger again. I found a good balance with my family and I’m just enjoying everything.

“I can’t remember the last time [I was in such a good mindset], maybe in 2018 at the Broncos. I’ve got a clear head and I’m just enjoying my footy and enjoying my life outside of footy and there’s a lot to look forward to at the club.”

Roberts was at his electric best on his first appearance in Tigers colours as they walloped an under-strength Manly during a trial at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

He almost scored with his first touch, grabbed a Luke Brooks kick to touch down and also laid down next to fullback Daine Laurie on the sideline after both were given an early shower by Maguire.

Roberts’ cut-price deal with the Tigers could be one of the great heists of the season should he recapture the form that earned him a spot in Brad Fittler’s State of Origin squad a few years ago.

“I realised I really do love the game and it’s my dream to do what I do,” Roberts said. “I thought I would just give it another crack and just enjoy it more instead of making it my job. just enjoy coming training and laughing with the boys.

“I’ve sort of changed my whole mindset. [I’m] starting over and just being grateful for my job and the opportunity that I have, not worrying about the pressures and that outside noise. I’m just doing what I know I’m capable of [and] enjoying my day-to-day life as well outside of footy. I feel very comfy [at the club].”

Roberts will form a potent right-edge tandem with David Nofoaluma, but it’s the guidance of Maguire that helped salvage his career.

Maguire was in charge of the Rabbitohs when Roberts was sacked for off-field misdemeanours in 2012, but the coach saw enough in his former player to bring him to Concord.

“Over the years we’ve had our differences,” Roberts said. “I was a lot younger and a lot wilder. I had a few things going on. My priorities weren’t in order.

“Now I’m in a good mind frame and it’s good to work with him and try and excel my game on and off the field and help the young lads. He’s been really supportive of me and helped me a lot. And so is the club as well, so I’m really thankful for that.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...erts-almost-quit-the-nrl-20210301-p576sp.html

Imagine if he plays his way back into Origin, and Nofa makes his debut next to him.

Tiger05

First Grade
Tigers burning bright

By Michael Chammas

I watched Chammas and Soward on the NRL website go over the trials. Chammas reckons our recruitment has been top notch and it has.