What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

stryker

First Grade
They are very set in their public relations ways.

They take us for fools, which ends up making them look dumb.

They’ve got Brooksy believing that him and Moses will be playing in the same team and better still, they’ve got him to approach Moses.

The tears for brooksy is all making sense. He’s being used as an agent to win Moses over.

He’s only going to to do that if he thinks he’s secure.

It just might work.

Thence Brooksy will uncover the cunning plan when he returns to his diamond encrusted locker to find a “ welcome home Mitch” sign on it, with streamers and balloons.

Then his keycard won’t work, the red light flashes and after his fourth attempt the coe alarm sounds indicating a break in.
Moses isn’t coming man

Fresh Api press conference;

Lots of interesting points and disclosures made.

I like these player interviews. You learn a lot more compared with ask the sloth.

He’s been working with Robbie and was talking about the importance of combinations which he places a lot of faith in.

The full strength side has only been training together for a week or so.

Ball movement emphasised.

He cites Benji has been cheeky but firm. That’s deliberate I’d say.

I don’t think anyone of us has a problem with his signing. He’s great to have around the club. He might make a good captain.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

I like these player interviews. You learn a lot more compared with ask the sloth.

He’s been working with Robbie and was talking about the importance of combinations which he places a lot of faith in.

I don’t think anyone of us has a problem with his signing. He’s great to have around the club. He might make a good captain.
Agree re: the captaincy, just think it’s a bit too soon.
That was a good interview though and he speaks well, going to be very good for us, no doubt.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Agree. By the end of the year he might very well get NRL best player award. Penrith will miss him.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Agree. By the end of the year he might very well get NRL best player award. Penrith will miss him.
Api is looking willing isn’t he?

I was looking at the total cull from last year, the mother of all clean outs?
At last it is really true to say every player we have replaced is an upgrade.

Regardless of coach:

The standard Tigers annual cull ranges between 23-28% but this year it’s closer to 42%

By comparison, Panthers only about 12%

The players “not wanting to come” argument is not holding too much weight.

We are not out of the woods, but have found a trail. See where it goes though.

I think we have a top 6 pack with Bateman, everyone firing.

We should be having talks with Keary for a short term fix. His best days are well behind him, but hes solid factory?

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Why does he /she think ‘23 - 12th but ‘24 “will be a force to be reckoned with”…from what is this based. Why next year, Why not this year. Just wondering. So they can’t be criticised as being too bold for at least 2 years. A bit like you guys I suppose..haha

Last edited:
Why does he /she think ‘23 - 12th but ‘24 “will be a force to be reckoned with”…from what is this based. Why next year, Why not this year. Just wondering. So they can’t be criticised as being too bold for at least 2 years. A bit like you guys I suppose..haha
Because he’s brooksy savvy.

Might have the insider on Moses. He’s coming and realising how great we are, is prepared to accept 850 and donate the balance to Tiger volunteers ( Dads Army).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regardless of coach:

The standard Tigers annual cull ranges between 23-28% but this year it’s closer to 42%

By comparison, Panthers only about 12%

The players “not wanting to come” argument is not holding too much weight.

We are not out of the woods, but have found a trail. See where it goes though.

I think we have a top 6 pack with Bateman, everyone firing.

We should be having talks with Keary for a short term fix. His best days are well behind him, but hes solid factory?
Wests Tigers and the Titans have used more players from 2012-2022 than any other NRL sides.

They will always attract players.

But they will always struggle to sign the right players and/or superstar players.

Wests Tigers and the Titans have used more players from 2012-2022 than any other NRL sides.

They will always attract players.

But they will always struggle to sign the right players and/or superstar players.
mmmm.

You know a lot more about the footy than I.

Paps, Api, Klem and bateman

Any of the above would comfortably fit into the top 17 in any side in the comp.

I am not sure if it was a struggle.

Times are a changing.

Paps is an absolute weapon. No limits.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
mmmm.

You know a lot more about the footy than I.

Paps, Api, Klem and bateman

Any of the above would comfortably fit into the top 17 in any side in the comp.

I am not sure if it was a struggle.

Times are a changing.

Paps is an absolute weapon. No limits.
The salary cap will always allow players in good sides who want more money, to find a new club willing to meet their demands

The salary cap will always allow players in good sides who want more money, to find a new club willing to meet their demands
So true.

The influence of non salary factors interests me.

Paps and Api, rumoured to have been taken by the money but Klem and Bateman?

Klem had a Hastings in the deal and Bateman, the transfer fee?

Any insights?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I love that this article says we will be the most exciting team in the comp and the eels are on the way down.

Andrew Johns says

Tigers: The team I’m most looking forward to watching play. Under Tim Sheens and Benji Marshall, they’ll have a unique style of attack. Their strengths are a lot of change of angles and short passing. I was watching a semi-final the other day when they played the Dragons and I couldn’t remember much of it as I was in England at the time. Their attack was crisp and lightning-quick. Their recruitment of Api Koroisau, Isaiah Papali’i and John Bateman will really add starch to that forward pack. They impressed me most last weekend and Tommy Talau is a star in waiting.

Teams I worry about​

Eels: They’ve lost a lot of key players. Reed Mahoney is a big loss. There’s got to be a question mark on how Josh Hodgson will respond following two knee reconstructions and he’s now beyond 30. If Mitchell Moses has a long-term injury I think they’ll really struggle. There are some real question marks over Parramatta for me.

Tigerm

First Grade
I love that this article says we will be the most exciting team in the comp and the eels are on the way down.

Andrew Johns says

Tigers: The team I’m most looking forward to watching play. Under Tim Sheens and Benji Marshall, they’ll have a unique style of attack. Their strengths are a lot of change of angles and short passing. I was watching a semi-final the other day when they played the Dragons and I couldn’t remember much of it as I was in England at the time. Their attack was crisp and lightning-quick. Their recruitment of Api Koroisau, Isaiah Papali’i and John Bateman will really add starch to that forward pack. They impressed me most last weekend and Tommy Talau is a star in waiting.

Teams I worry about​

Eels: They’ve lost a lot of key players. Reed Mahoney is a big loss. There’s got to be a question mark on how Josh Hodgson will respond following two knee reconstructions and he’s now beyond 30. If Mitchell Moses has a long-term injury I think they’ll really struggle. There are some real question marks over Parramatta for me.
Interesting that he doesn’t mention Klemmer?

Sour grapes.

Das Hassler

Bench
It'll probably look a bit of a mess before it looks real good....e.g. makeup halfway on...looking at your car halfway through the panel beating etc.If we can go 3/3 for the first 6 games untill everyone knows their lines then I'll be more than happy

Ron's_Mate

Bench
New season, same old internal in-fighting plagues Tigers
Danny Weidler
February 26, 2023 — 5.45am

On the eve of their latest rebirth, Wests Tigers are facing more internal drama following claims that club bosses are not accountable and are part of the reason the club has struggled on the field for the past decade.

Western Suburbs District Rugby League Football Club chairman Shannon Cavanagh says Wests Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe need to acknowledge they are at least part of the problem at the club that finished with the wooden spoon last season.

Cavanagh is speaking out today before a disciplinary hearing he will front this week relating to a conversation he had with Pascoe in front of a club sponsor.

“They [Pascoe and Hagipantelis] are really lacking in self-awareness if they can’t acknowledge they are a big part of the issues at the club,” Cavanagh said. “I think they don’t listen and they can’t handle criticism at all. There is an arrogance that exists at the club and I don’t know why they would feel like that given the way the Wests Tigers have performed.”

The disciplinary hearing relates to a conversation Cavanagh had with Pascoe at the launch of the Tigers’ centre of excellence. During a lengthy and sometimes heated conversation, Cavanagh was asked by Pascoe who he thought should run the club. He suggested SEN radio host Jimmy Smith.

“He asked me out of the blue and I said Jimmy,” Cavanagh said. “And when I think about it he would be good. He played for Wests, knows footy and he has an MBA. I think he’d be a good choice.”

This column has the letter of complaint written by Hagipantelis tearing strips off Cavanagh. The letter to the Wests club says in part: “Mr Cavanagh’s conduct was reprehensible. In his capacity as Chair of Wests Magpies, he has not only embarrassed himself, but also your Club. More importantly from my perspective, and what is of particular concern to my Board, is that said conduct occurred in the presence of, and in fact engaged, sponsors of Wests Tigers. It has been now necessary for me to proffer a formal apology on behalf of Wests Tigers to Mr Fabry and to the other Sponsor with whom I spoke, for Mr Cavanagh’s misconduct.

“What is most galling is the arrogant presumption of Mr Cavanagh that he is in any position to level criticism of the Wests Tigers. To my understanding, confirmed by my discussions with our CEO, Mr Justin Pascoe, Mr Cavanagh has had absolutely no involvement in our Club’s operational matters ... In those circumstances, Mr Cavanagh has no foundation, let alone any entitlement, to criticise our CEO, Mr Justin Pascoe, the culture of our organisation and the manner in which it is operated or make any comment with respect to staff.

“... This is not the first occasion Mr Cavanagh has embarrassed himself by engaging in vitriol and criticism, in a public setting, of the Wests Tigers. The conduct being the subject of this complaint should therefore not be construed as a one-off but, somewhat disturbingly, a pattern of conduct.
“It is the view of the Wests Tigers Board that Mr Cavanagh is not a fit and proper person to fill the role of Chairman of Wests Magpies, or indeed, hold a membership.”

Cavanagh denied that he was in any away aggressive or out of line in his conversation with Pascoe. In a letter detailing the night, Cavanagh writes: “After I arrived home, I sent him [Pascoe] a direct message via Instagram at 11:56pm which said: ‘Thanks for the hospitality??? If that is Wests Tigers culture, we have problems. Very poor.’

“I also sent a text message to Simon Cook, the CEO of Wests Ashfield at 11:18pm which said: ‘Wow, Justin’s a great guy. And his mates’. I believe that my response to Mr Pascoe’s question concerning the CEO of Wests Tigers was reasonable given the facts that: (a) Wests Tigers have not made the finals whilst Mr Pascoe has been CEO since 2015; b) in 2022, Wests Tigers finished last; c) the media has branded the organisation with the terms such as ‘basket case’, ‘laughing stock’ and ‘embarrassment’, and; d) in 2018 the NRL suspended Mr Pascoe for six months due to ... not disclosing contracts as required under salary-cap regulations.”

Hagipantelis and Pascoe were contacted but declined to comment. Cavanagh’s hearing is this week.