What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

WA Tiger

Bench

Who needs a smack in the mouth now?
Did I say 20 years ago I meant 10 ..”He pleaded guilty and was let off on a good behaviour bond” ! fyi 50 years ago it wasn’t pretty
And yea that article applies to the other 2 I mentioned with the mental health card.

There’s bound to be a star struck, league loving Kent fan Judge that’ll smooth it over. I’m serious. That’s what they do and have been doing

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Running man: GPS data has Koroisau on track to run 50km in a fortnight
By Christian Nicolussi
June 7, 2023 — 3.30pm

Api Koroisau has been praised for his physical and mental strength as he somehow gets ready to cover a whopping 50km in what has been a jam-packed couple of weeks, including a third game in eight days.

Koroisau was given a well-earned rest from Wests Tigers training on Monday, and kept to light duties at Wednesday’s captain’s run, but will start against the Titans on Thursday night with coach Tim Sheens confident his skipper could play the whole game if required.

GPS data revealed Koroisau had run 40km after he had trained all week with the Blues, then played 80 minutes in Origin I, followed by a 58-minute effort against Canberra last Friday.

To put those figures into perspective, a heavy week during the pre-season – when fitness is the key focus – sees players cover no more than 30km.

At this time of year most NRL players are lucky to cover 20km, even with a longer turnaround between games, with No.9s typically running between 9km and 10km a game.

Sheens said Koroisau’s ability to cope with the heavy workload was a timely reminder of why he was such a good choice to be the Tigers skipper.

The coach also credited the Tigers’ performance staff, including head of high performance Peter Moussa, for helping Koroisau cope with the busiest period of the season.

One thing Koroisau’s data does do is raise the question of whether the Blues are best off carrying a second dummy-half for Origin II, which works for Queensland with Ben Hunt and Harry Grant, in a bid to make Koroisau even more effective.

“It’s a credit to Api because he didn’t really start training until January, he was in rehab, and he had that small [calf] injury before the season, so he’s done brilliantly well; he’s just a ball of energy,” Sheens said.

“He leads by example. [As for playing 80 minutes], it will all come down to the game and how much ball we get. We’re carrying Jake Simpkin [on the bench] as we always do.”

Titans skipper and Maroons forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui is the only other Origin player required to play three games in eight days. Fellow Titan David Fifita will be rested from the Tigers clash with delayed concussion symptoms. Fa’asuamaleaui, however, only played 41 minutes in Origin, then 60 against Souths.

Melbourne do not expect to see Grant or Cameron Munster until Saturday.

South Sydney hooker Damien Cook would love to return for Origin II and tag-team with Koroisau, and was shocked when told about his GPS results.

“That’s a lot; it’s all about management and recovery at this time, and I know here at Souths my loads are dropped right down whenever I’ve played Origin,” Cook said.

“I’d love to get back in there with Api for game two. I told ‘Freddy’ [Brad Fittler] if he ever needs me I’ll be ready and do whatever he needs me to do.”

Meanwhile, Sheens said it was “zero consolation” to know the NRL had conceded they got it wrong by not awarding the Tigers a penalty when Luke Brooks was shoved in the back when Canberra scored a try last Friday. Sheens also asked the NRL why Brooks had been wrongfully penalised for being in an off-side position just after half-time.

The coach shot down speculation Brooks was heading to England next season, and remained hopeful the local junior would recommit to the joint venture on a deal reportedly worth around $550,000 as year – half of what he is on this year.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Long way round: Why Tigers skipper will clock up 20,000km on trip to Townsville
By Christian Nicolussi
June 27, 2023 — 7.45pm

John Bateman will need to overcome nearly 20,000 kilometres worth of travel in just three days when Wests Tigers come up against North Queensland in Townsville on Saturday.

Bateman used the Tigers’ bye week to jet home to the north of England for a quick visit with family. He is expected back in the country early on Wednesday, which will give him Friday’s captain’s run to be ready for the Cowboys.

Visiting players have often struggled with the humidity at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, but Bateman could become the first player struck down by the effects of jet lag after completing the marathon journey from Bradford to Townsville via Sydney.

Bateman has improved each week for his new club since making his debut in round three – so much so that he was handed the captaincy while Api Koroisau and Luke Brooks overcome jaw and hamstring injuries respectively.

Tigers prop David Klemmer was backing the bleary-eyed Brit to shake off any travel hangover. “It will be a good little freshen-up for Johnny,” Klemmer said. “He’s been massive for us. He had the disrupted pre-season, but he needed a week away with his family.

“He’s just a goer, he’s a little firecracker who adds something different to us on and off the field. I love playing with him. He’ll be fresh and ready to go Saturday.”

Around the same time Bateman is adjusting to local time, assistant coach Benji Marshall is expected to meet Latu Fainu, the Sea Eagles youngster earmarked by the Tigers as the man to replace halfback Luke Brooks who has now attracted strong interest from the Dolphins.

There were whispers the Titans were also keen on luring the 18-year-old north, but it appears a race in two between the Tigers and Wayne Bennett’s newcomers.

Brooks announced on Monday he would be quitting his junior club after 11 seasons to join Manly on a four-year deal.

Who plays in the halves at the Tigers next year has now become a huge talking point, especially with Adam Doueihi no certainty to return from a knee injury at all in 2023.

Yet another new halves pairing, Daine Laurie and Brandon Wakeham, will be unveiled against the Cowboys, but both are off contract at the end of this season. The Tigers have already expressed interest in Cronulla’s Braydon Trindall, and have started to source options in the Super League.

Sam Walker’s off-the-cuff approach would work well under Marshall, but he is tied to the Sydney Roosters for another couple of seasons, while South Sydney’s Blake Taaffe, who is without a deal beyond this year – and is known as a fullback – won a Jersey Flegg grand final with the Bunnies as the starting halfback in 2019.

Wakeham knows it is up to him to convince the Tigers he is worthy of a new deal, and is prepared to wait given he did not start with the club until January this year.

“I’m really enjoying my time, I feel like I can play direct and guide a team around the park, they’re my strengths, and hopefully I can showcase that the next few weeks,” Wakeham said.

TroyJax

Juniors
I feel sorry for him really.
The guy was not ready for a full time NRL gig at the seasons start but due to circumstances well out of his control, he finds himself the dominant half for the second week running as we have no depth and no clue from the idiots running this shitshow.
Now the fans are turning on him despite him busting his arse trying to complete his NRL apprenticeship without a tradesman.
Wouldn’t blame him if he looked to bugger off as well.

innsaneink

Referee
Long way round: Why Tigers skipper will clock up 20,000km on trip to Townsville
By Christian Nicolussi
June 27, 2023 — 7.45pm

John Bateman will need to overcome nearly 20,000 kilometres worth of travel in just three days when Wests Tigers come up against North Queensland in Townsville on Saturday.

Bateman used the Tigers’ bye week to jet home to the north of England for a quick visit with family. He is expected back in the country early on Wednesday, which will give him Friday’s captain’s run to be ready for the Cowboys.

Visiting players have often struggled with the humidity at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, but Bateman could become the first player struck down by the effects of jet lag after completing the marathon journey from Bradford to Townsville via Sydney.

Bateman has improved each week for his new club since making his debut in round three – so much so that he was handed the captaincy while Api Koroisau and Luke Brooks overcome jaw and hamstring injuries respectively.

Tigers prop David Klemmer was backing the bleary-eyed Brit to shake off any travel hangover. “It will be a good little freshen-up for Johnny,” Klemmer said. “He’s been massive for us. He had the disrupted pre-season, but he needed a week away with his family.

“He’s just a goer, he’s a little firecracker who adds something different to us on and off the field. I love playing with him. He’ll be fresh and ready to go Saturday.”

Around the same time Bateman is adjusting to local time, assistant coach Benji Marshall is expected to meet Latu Fainu, the Sea Eagles youngster earmarked by the Tigers as the man to replace halfback Luke Brooks who has now attracted strong interest from the Dolphins.

There were whispers the Titans were also keen on luring the 18-year-old north, but it appears a race in two between the Tigers and Wayne Bennett’s newcomers.

Brooks announced on Monday he would be quitting his junior club after 11 seasons to join Manly on a four-year deal.

Who plays in the halves at the Tigers next year has now become a huge talking point, especially with Adam Doueihi no certainty to return from a knee injury at all in 2023.

Yet another new halves pairing, Daine Laurie and Brandon Wakeham, will be unveiled against the Cowboys, but both are off contract at the end of this season. The Tigers have already expressed interest in Cronulla’s Braydon Trindall, and have started to source options in the Super League.

Sam Walker’s off-the-cuff approach would work well under Marshall, but he is tied to the Sydney Roosters for another couple of seasons, while South Sydney’s Blake Taaffe, who is without a deal beyond this year – and is known as a fullback – won a Jersey Flegg grand final with the Bunnies as the starting halfback in 2019.

Wakeham knows it is up to him to convince the Tigers he is worthy of a new deal, and is prepared to wait given he did not start with the club until January this year.

“I’m really enjoying my time, I feel like I can play direct and guide a team around the park, they’re my strengths, and hopefully I can showcase that the next few weeks,” Wakeham said.

Great preparation...bateman england for 10 days
Benji swanning off to Fiji business class for a insta session

74 blot

proffesional my arse

‘It’s no coincidence’: The common thread in ‘struggling’ Tigers and Dragons’ wooden spoon race​

Some goods points raised, and I agree with most. Having said that at least we have 1 year to look at and be able to say 'we bloody did it. No salary cap rorting, or drug cheating. No one can ever take that away from us'

The Gold Coast on the other hand, haven't been in a grand final, and will never win a comp. It doesn't matter who they employ, how much they cheat, or anything they do. If you don't believe me, have a look at this link which sums what playing for the GC is all about. Not to mention all the coke and other drugs on tap, and the non-stop party atmosphere in general.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Dominic Perrottet could walk away from NSW politics as job at Wests Tigers NRL club is mooted​

There are growing rumours Dominic Perrottet could soon swap parliament for the boardroom at his beloved NRL club.

The former NSW Premier stepped down as Liberal leader following the party's state election defeat in March and currently serves as the member for Epping.

Rumours are circulating that the self-confessed Wests Tigers tragic could quit politics before Christmas and may even be tempted by a director or chairman role at the struggling club if the opportunity rose.

The Tigers currently sit bottom of the NRL ladder and haven't played finals football since 2011.

n April, the club's director Simon Cook stepped down as he said the club needed a transformation as John Dorahy took the reigns

'I believe that Wests Tigers needs change and regeneration,' Mr Cook said.

'It is time for Wests Tigers to look to new people with the right skill set who can provide the club with the success our loyal fans deserve.'

The Daily Telegraph sports editor Phil Rothfield has reported the ex-premier would be interested in a role at the Tigers if he was approached.

'I’m told Perrottet, if approached, would be keen to get involved once he steps out of politics, most likely by Xmas,' he wrote.

Last month, sources reported Mr Perrottet will likely tap out of politics by Christmas as he feels it is time for a career change.

The father-of-seven first hinted at a move away from politics five weeks out from the March 25 election, telling the Australian Financial Review: 'Politics isn't something you do forever'.

'I've always seen my time in politics and gone into it as something I wanted to do for a short period of time and make a difference,' he told the publication in February.

'And then go and make a difference somewhere else.'

Ned Kelly

Juniors
He was a better premier than I thought he would be.

Has the potential to improve how our club is run.

Could be the best signing of 2023

Considering we couldn't get much worse I hope we give him a go. It would at least spark some hope for me.

Not experienced enough, but I’ll take Genghis Khan at this point.

Lee was another one of these people who was entitled enough to say they could make a difference.

Nutz

Bench
Fiddled the books, moved money from one place to another to have things appear balanced, paid underhand cash to consultants...no, not Melbourne or the Roosters but the former premier. Give him the job....
Surely would do better than Beatie did as chairman