What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

Benny's back.

“I’m a big fan of Doueihi, I think he’s a great player,” Elias told news.com.au.

“I think he’s really excelled well this year as a great leader.

“I think he (Hastings) will probably go to five-eighth. I can’t see Brooksy at five-eighth — Brooksy’s a number seven, he’s not a five-eighth.

“You need someone that’s got great vision and I think Hastings at six will do that and I think Adam will probably go back to fullback or in the centres.

Hastings to 6 because Brooks is not five-eight !
Brooksy's a 7 ! He lost me at this point
Doueihi to 1 or centre ! And then he just made me laugh, simply because he's not fast enough for either position.

Me thinks Benny should stick to whatever he does these days that is not football related.

Trollhammaren

Juniors

The Tigers have lost their plot, and salvation lies in storytelling​

By Jack Manning Bancroft

The Wests Tigers have no idea who they are.

My earliest memory of the Tigers is at a grand final party and my Dad screaming out “why?” Benny had just hit the crossbar in 1989. I was four.

After 30 years of watching the Tigers in their different iterations - a lifespan that included my own failed attempt at professional sport and a period where I’ve set up an organisation that provides a pathway for marginalised youth and those inside the margins to come together to build more equality - I’ve sat on an empty hill at Leichhardt, soaking in the elders’ conversations and watched Laurie Nicholls throw his punches.

As Balmain, even in the worst days we had something. We had a link to a town that founded the Labor Party; a town that was changing, yes, but had roots. Our team were battlers and that meant something.

It meant hoping against the odds, knowing your team didn’t have the same cash as Manly but, when you knocked over the Silvertails in the opening round, every point meant something.

Then Super League panic hit and what a shitfight it was, we buckled and were suddenly the Sydney Tigers. We had purple in our socks, an aged Garry Jack returned and we were lost.

Souths said ‘no, not us, we’d rather leave this party than merge and have our roots ripped apart’.

The Tigers have bent and borrowed identities. In 2005, we had the luck of youth on our side, we were entertainers and the kids had a point to prove. We can play in the big time, they said. Watch us defy your rules, your structures, watch us play.

And isn’t that meaning of it all - to play?

Having worked with youngsters who have felt lost I’ve found the art of change lies in story, but today’s Tigers haven’t found their modern story, their identity, there is no feeling of any history, and the fact that they are broadcasting their every living moment shows how lost the storytellers are in the joint.

It’s why the team plays well one week, or for moments, and then look lost the next. They are mirroring the shortsightedness of the stories they are told.

What’s the vision of this club? To make the finals? That’s not a vision, that’s an outcome. This ain’t a business. At their heart sporting teams bring hope to people. They help us escape our individual struggles and feel a sense of union, of mission. We ride out the pain of our weeks in every tackle, and struggle, in every battle for a blade of grass.

Steve Waugh knew this when he reminded his players their job was to entertain the crowd. Richie McCaw and Dan Carter knew this when they cleaned up the sheds after every game. Sam Kerr and company have a story. Patty Mills and the Boomers have a story.

Maybe it’s beyond the club’s story, maybe the soul started to run away when Darling Street went beige, changing the Town Hall Hotel into a gym, the milk bar into a lingerie store and the corner stores into whatever lycra sells the most. What’s to fight for in an earth-toned wilderness swallowing Balmain with money like the darkness eating the heart of Fantasia?

The hope is in the west. It’s bigger than a story of a football club, it’s at the heart of a story of Australia.

Can we be more complex, can we have different ways of communicating, complex stories in different languages to the ones we’ve known since colonisation?

Memo to the Tigers: rip up the endless cycles of strat plans, Facebook marketing meetings and commissioning reality TV shows. You’ve lost the plot. Look up the Yellow Pages and find yourselves a storyteller ASAP - ideally someone from the west who has some idea what the modern Australian narrative actually is.

The Tigers don’t need another coach and they don’t need more players. They need the story to be told of who they are, a story of what it means for two battling original clubs, with people from working-class suburbs coming together.

They and the modern-day Labor Party are losing the story, so people from working-class communities vote Liberal, or James Tedesco goes to the Roosters and becomes their captain.

If you stand for something bigger than money, something more important than yourselves - then you have something to fight for.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ion-lies-in-storytelling-20210826-p58m74.html

Tigerm

First Grade

The Tigers have lost their plot, and salvation lies in storytelling​

By Jack Manning Bancroft​

The Wests Tigers have no idea who they are.

My earliest memory of the Tigers is at a grand final party and my Dad screaming out “why?” Benny had just hit the crossbar in 1989. I was four.

After 30 years of watching the Tigers in their different iterations - a lifespan that included my own failed attempt at professional sport and a period where I’ve set up an organisation that provides a pathway for marginalised youth and those inside the margins to come together to build more equality - I’ve sat on an empty hill at Leichhardt, soaking in the elders’ conversations and watched Laurie Nicholls throw his punches.

As Balmain, even in the worst days we had something. We had a link to a town that founded the Labor Party; a town that was changing, yes, but had roots. Our team were battlers and that meant something.

It meant hoping against the odds, knowing your team didn’t have the same cash as Manly but, when you knocked over the Silvertails in the opening round, every point meant something.

Then Super League panic hit and what a shitfight it was, we buckled and were suddenly the Sydney Tigers. We had purple in our socks, an aged Garry Jack returned and we were lost.

Souths said ‘no, not us, we’d rather leave this party than merge and have our roots ripped apart’.

The Tigers have bent and borrowed identities. In 2005, we had the luck of youth on our side, we were entertainers and the kids had a point to prove. We can play in the big time, they said. Watch us defy your rules, your structures, watch us play.

And isn’t that meaning of it all - to play?

Having worked with youngsters who have felt lost I’ve found the art of change lies in story, but today’s Tigers haven’t found their modern story, their identity, there is no feeling of any history, and the fact that they are broadcasting their every living moment shows how lost the storytellers are in the joint.

It’s why the team plays well one week, or for moments, and then look lost the next. They are mirroring the shortsightedness of the stories they are told.

What’s the vision of this club? To make the finals? That’s not a vision, that’s an outcome. This ain’t a business. At their heart sporting teams bring hope to people. They help us escape our individual struggles and feel a sense of union, of mission. We ride out the pain of our weeks in every tackle, and struggle, in every battle for a blade of grass.

Steve Waugh knew this when he reminded his players their job was to entertain the crowd. Richie McCaw and Dan Carter knew this when they cleaned up the sheds after every game. Sam Kerr and company have a story. Patty Mills and the Boomers have a story.

Maybe it’s beyond the club’s story, maybe the soul started to run away when Darling Street went beige, changing the Town Hall Hotel into a gym, the milk bar into a lingerie store and the corner stores into whatever lycra sells the most. What’s to fight for in an earth-toned wilderness swallowing Balmain with money like the darkness eating the heart of Fantasia?

The hope is in the west. It’s bigger than a story of a football club, it’s at the heart of a story of Australia.

Can we be more complex, can we have different ways of communicating, complex stories in different languages to the ones we’ve known since colonisation?

Memo to the Tigers: rip up the endless cycles of strat plans, Facebook marketing meetings and commissioning reality TV shows. You’ve lost the plot. Look up the Yellow Pages and find yourselves a storyteller ASAP - ideally someone from the west who has some idea what the modern Australian narrative actually is.

The Tigers don’t need another coach and they don’t need more players. They need the story to be told of who they are, a story of what it means for two battling original clubs, with people from working-class suburbs coming together.

They and the modern-day Labor Party are losing the story, so people from working-class communities vote Liberal, or James Tedesco goes to the Roosters and becomes their captain.

If you stand for something bigger than money, something more important than yourselves - then you have something to fight for.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ion-lies-in-storytelling-20210826-p58m74.html
Wished he had written “the west tigers” not the “tigers“ when he is talking about our identity?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
That Herald article is one of the best I have ever read.
As much as Madge goes on about the jersey in the sheds it even had me wondering what it stood for let alone players who hadn't been brought up with it.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
That Herald article is one of the best I have ever read.
As much as Madge goes on about the jersey in the sheds it even had me wondering what it stood for let alone players who hadn't been brought up with it.

Agreed. Our 'jersey' or 'identity' certainly doesn't represent two proud foundation clubs in 2021. Just a team of misfit players who can't make any top tier squads.

stryker

First Grade
Benny's back.

Hastings to 6 because Brooks is not five-eight !
Brooksy's a 7 ! He lost me at this point
Doueihi to 1 or centre ! And then he just made me laugh, simply because he's not fast enough for either position.

Me thinks Benny should stick to whatever he does these days that is not football related.
Yeah f**k me dead Benny…what a shithouse take on the players.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
One of the things I liked in the SMH article was the importance of Elders (mentors) and story tellers who can pass on the identity of the club. These people are the heart and soul of a team. They carry the club's identity in their veins. It is impossible to put a value on them.
We had two. Robbie and Benjie. Their life's history is the Wests Tigers.
What does the man in charge decide to do? Get rid of them because someone with very little history or deep connection to the club wants them gone. (Jason Taylor and Madge)
As we become less concerned about the heart of our club it is no wonder the enthusiasm on the playing field drops off.
Like him or not we have one player left who fits that mold, Nofo. I hope the club doesn't have another fit of madness and decide to get rid of him, ever. If they do we will have nothing left.

stryker

First Grade
One of the things I liked in the SMH article was the importance of Elders (mentors) and story tellers who can pass on the identity of the club. These people are the heart and soul of a team. They carry the club's identity in their veins. It is impossible to put a value on them.
What does the man in charge decide to do? Get rid of them because someone with very little history or deep connection to the club wants them gone. (Jason Taylor and Madge)
As we become less concerned about the heart of our club it is no wonder the enthusiasm on the playing field drops off.
Like him or not we have one player left who fits that mold, Nofo. I hope the club doesn't have another fit of madness and decide to get rid of him, ever. If they do we will have nothing left.
Very true. I have been saying it for 10+ years Robbie and Benji ARE the Wests Tigers. Club legends who kept this joint going through many years…often taking turns to carry it. I am positive this merger would have folded years ago if not for them.
The club treated them like dirt and even so, they both came back.
I also agree Noffo is a surviving member of the “I give a f**k“ club.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think you are rewriting history a bit re: Benji.

He left the club, (do you not remember him in a rugby jersey) not the other way around?

But, didn’t the club offer him a lifeline, when no one else wanted him for 2 seasons? He was then offered work after footy here, but he rejected it?

Ned Kelly

Juniors

He left the club, (do you not remember him in a rugby jersey) not the other way around?

But, didn’t the club offer him a lifeline, when no one else wanted him for 2 seasons? He was then offered work after footy here, but he rejected it?
I remember he went to Rugby because he didn't want to play for any other NRL club. He has since said he regrets leaving over pay and that the Tigers where right to offer him less. I think that is a man who still cares for the club.

Don't know about the work offered here but if I had offered to play for minimum wage and the club said no thanks I am guessing I would be leaning towards a lucrative tv deal.

I don't blame any player for their career choice when their playing days are over.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't like that SMH article. I'm more of a pragmatist. The better players win 9 times out of 10. You get the right cattle on the park then you have a good chance of winning.

BrotherJim05

Bench
You can't manufacture a story for our club. It doesn't work. It needs to be driven by the on field performances and the passion for the players who will bleed for the jersey. Right now we don't have any of that, so yes, we don't have a story to tell.

It puts more weight behind the strategy of building up our junior base and developing our own home-grown talent. If they start putting wins together and get us into the 8 then the story of Tigers will basically be the Rocky movies of a perpetual underdog never giving up and eventually becoming the champ despite having their eye socket pretty much smashed in

macnaz

Staff member
Just throwing it out there.. What do the Warriors stand for ?, who do they represent? What is their identity? = A whole country , An idigneous culture , a warrior heritage and representing rugby league in a rugby union dominated nation. . But having the ultimate identity and motivation to be something special what have they achieved in the game ? Not much , so if identity is the be all and end all to succes maybe it's overrated and it really just comes down to buying the best to be the best.

WA Tiger

Bench

But not when it really counted and more importantly not in the manner he deserved to go out. Even Lee concurred

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
What a good post..esp when we are so short of these heart and soul Tiger players and ex players that really give a shit ….The same happened with Sironen when Taylor I think arrived..although he came back after all that madness

Last edited: