What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Tigers articles from the media

stryker

First Grade
Hodgson to lead the spine with a Simpkin/Liddle impact cameo each game.
Hastings to control the spine from the halves, steering the team around the field, carrying out game plans and kicking.
Brooks and Laurie to be the attacking members of the spine, with free reign to run and inject themselves from anywhere on the field.
If Brooks doesn’t take this opportunity, we can relegate him and slip AD in when he returns.

Tiger05

First Grade
Hodgson to lead the spine with a Simpkin/Liddle impact cameo each game.
Hastings to control the spine from the halves, steering the team around the field, carrying out game plans and kicking.
Brooks and Laurie to be the attacking members of the spine, with free reign to run and inject themselves from anywhere on the field.
If Brooks doesn’t take this opportunity, we can relegate him and slip AD in when he returns.

The only proviso is that it's assuming we get Hodgson.

That to me though is as good a plan as what we have. If Brooks performs it also means AD can come back into the centres which is probably our weakest position.

Hoofhearted

Juniors

I have no idea who the 'plenty' are that are scratching their heads, this bloke has an agenda against the Tigers full stop. One thing I would guarantee, If Wayne had signed Hastings to the Dolphins Crawley would be writing about it as a genius move by Wayne to sign the number 1 halfback from the Super League.

NRL’s most under pressure playmakers: Jackson Hastings signing makes no sense​

The Tigers haven’t made the finals in a decade and desperately need improvement, which is why this signing has left plenty scratching their heads.

Paul Crawley Paul Crawley

JACKSON HASTINGS – Wests Tigers

Career Games: 47 NRL, 70 Super League

Everything Hastings has said since his return from England suggests that he has spent his time in the Super League wisely. He played some outstanding football over there and he reckons he’s grown into a better person.

So good luck to him.

What is perplexing for me is trying to work out where Hastings will fit in given the Tigers maintain they have no intention releasing Luke Brooks while Adam Doueihi has categorically said he wants to play five-eighth.

Of course, that’s not even taking young Jock Madden into consideration.

Doueihi will miss the start of the season because of his knee injury, but I struggle to see why the Tigers would be buying Hastings to play anywhere other than halfback.

stryker

First Grade

I have no idea who the 'plenty' are that are scratching their heads, this bloke has an agenda against the Tigers full stop. One thing I would guarantee, If Wayne had signed Hastings to the Dolphins Crawley would be writing about it as a genius move by Wayne to sign the number 1 halfback from the Super League.

The Tigers haven’t made the finals in a decade and desperately need improvement, which is why this signing has left plenty scratching their heads.

Everything Hastings has said since his return from England suggests that he has spent his time in the Super League wisely. He played some outstanding football over there and he reckons he’s grown into a better person.

So good luck to him.

What is perplexing for me is trying to work out where Hastings will fit in given the Tigers maintain they have no intention releasing Luke Brooks while Adam Doueihi has categorically said he wants to play five-eighth.

Doueihi will miss the start of the season because of his knee injury, but I struggle to see why the Tigers would be buying Hastings to play anywhere other than halfback.
It’s not that hard is it?
It would have been interesting if AD was fit for round 1, but he isn’t which buys Brooks & Hastings 2 to 3 months. By the time Doueihi is right to go, we’ll be able to make an informed decision.

WA Tiger

Bench

So good luck to him.

I don’t mind journalists, it’s just the ones that talk shit or don’t know what they should know…Crawley stuck up for Mitchell with his hit on Manu. He said these things happen all the time and it’s a contact sport and his comments about Brooks shows he doesn’t look further than the positions and which ones appear to be taken. Rather than how short we are of real playmakers / game managers..

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
I don’t mind journalists, it’s just the ones that talk shit or don’t know what they should know…Crawley stuck up for Mitchell with his hit on Manu. He said these things happen all the time and it’s a contact sport and his comments about Brooks shows he doesn’t look further than the positions and which ones appear to be taken. Rather than how short we are of real playmakers / game managers..
Crawley has zero credibility especially re any comments pertaining to souths.His tongue is wedged firmly in Bennett’s anus

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Uncertainty remains about Brooks, but some good news re: Stefano.

This is the TeleCrap after all so take with a grain of salt.

Wests Tigers are preparing to upgrade and extend the contract of young star Stefano Utoikamanu but it is the future of Luke Brooks that will come under fresh scrutiny on Wednesday as the club’s big names return to training. News Corp understands that Brooks has undergone a Covid test and submitted the paperwork in preparation for his return – Tigers players were required to return negative tests within 48 hours of returning to training under NRL guidelines.

The fact Brooks underwent a test and submitted documentation to the Tigers is the surest sign yet that the No. 7 plans to honour the final two years of his deal – or alternatively, isn’t willing to force through a move by staying away.

Along with other senior players, Brooks will pick up his training gear, and undergo testing and wellbeing screening under the watchful eye of coach Michael Maguire. He will also be able to lean on former NSW half Brett Kimmorley, who joined the club last year as pathways manager but has been given extra responsibility this year with the NRL side as a consultant to the spine.

It means Brooks and the other halves at the club will have unprecedented access to not just Kimmorley, but club legend Benji Marshall this season. While Marshall’s exact role is still to be defined, Kimmorley has already started working with the younger members of the spine and will be available to Brooks and the remainder of the first grade squad when they return this week.

“His job was mainly the halves and I pushed it through to the spine because the four of them need to work together,” Tigers head of football Tim Sheens said.

“He is basically consulting the senior side as well. He will have a hands-on (role). He is a halfback to talk to – halfbacks like to talk to halfbacks.

“At the end of the day that gives them a source and someone to sit down with and have a look at their game during the year.

“Hopefully it will work smoothly. He is a good teacher Noddy (Kimmorley). I am finding that he is really clued up on how to pass things on.”

The players are expected to hit the training paddock on Thursday and all eyes will be on Brooks amid ongoing speculation that Newcastle continue to see him as the successor to Mitchell Pearce in the No. 7 jersey.

Brooks has two years to run on his existing deal but his future has dominated column inches over the off-season, prompting the club at one point to release a statement insisting he was central to their plans.

Having allowed Pearce to exit his contract a year ahead of schedule to join Super League side Catalans, Newcastle are understood to want a halfback because it would be the least disruption to their spine.

At the same time, the Tigers are juggling numerous balls as they look to finalise their roster. As it stands, Brooks will start the season at halfback and the only question as far as the Tigers are concerned is who will be passing him the ball out of dummy half.

The Tigers’ pursuit of Josh Hodgson has stalled as Canberra refuse to budge on their No. 9 while doubt remains over their alternative hooker, Tom Starling. Starling is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday as part of a bail review but it could be some time before the Raiders have some clarity around his future.

With that in mind, the club has been reluctant to engage in talks with the Tigers over Hodgson, particularly in light of the fact that the Tigers want the Raiders to contribute heavily this season to smooth to move.

There is one thing the Tigers can be certain about and that is that Utoikamanu is going nowhere. The young prop was called into the extended NSW squad this year by Blues coach Brad Fittler, a pointer to the fact that representative football is on the horizon.

The Tigers want to ensure he is in for the long haul and the club has begun initial talks with his management over an upgrade and extension to his existing deal.

Utoikamanu is contracted until the end of 2023 and the Tigers want to push that out for as much as two years, while at the same time rewarding him with an upgrade the existing years of his deal.

Uncertainty remains about Brooks, but some good news re: Stefano.

This is the TeleCrap after all so take with a grain of salt.

Noddy being dragged in to coach the halves is a really good idea.

On my global game aptitude measurement scale, we need the halves to produce a 16% improvement in all aspects to make the finals.

At peak, both of these guys were undoubtedly the best halves in the game and would have a lot to contribute.

I like the balance of the training group as it’s panning out. It’s very experienced at senior levels of the game with an genuine icon factor.
Expectations will be high.

Theres another example of the behind the scenes structural change and fresh faces to join the old guard.

If we can upgrade and extend Stefano I will be over the moon. Ive pretty much already resigned myself to losing him in 2024.

I think we will get some good will vibes from him because we plucked him out of relative obscurity at the eels and you will recall, bent over backwards to get him a release. To no avail, but he spoke highly of our efforts.

He’s been noted to crediting the hard training and general tutelage of the West Tigers as improving his game immeasurably.

Just after he arrived he was interviewed about a week later and he spoke to the difficulty of our pre-season compared to what he was used to at the eels. Absolute shell shock!

Ive always seen him as an example of what our club can do for players if they want to dig in as opposed to the players who don’t.

He could turn into anything next season. He’s on this beautiful upwards diagonal. He’s got that footy intelligence happening, his mind is like a sponge. He just naturally picks thing up.

I think he appreciates his popularity, friendships and the faith we had and still have in him.

Another Hatigan master-stroke, one of the first players identified and signed on his watch on 66% of real cap too.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think we will get some good will vibes from him because we plucked him out of relative obscurity at the eels and you will recall, bent over backwards to get him a release. To no avail, but he spoke highly of our efforts.

He’s been noted to crediting the hard training and general tutelage of the West Tigers as improving his game immeasurably.

Just after he arrived he was interviewed about a week later and he spoke to the difficulty of our pre-season compared to what he was used to at the eels. Absolute shell shock!

Ive always seen him as an example of what our club can do for players if they want to dig in as opposed to the players who don’t.

He could turn into anything next season. He’s on this beautiful upwards diagonal. He’s got that footy intelligence happening, his mind is like a sponge. He just naturally picks thing up.

I think he appreciates his popularity, friendships and the faith we had and still have in him.

Another Hatigan master-stroke, one of the first players identified and signed on his watch on 66% of real cap too.

Agree with what you are saying, he seems to genuinley love the club and the faith we showed in him. My concern is the guy will be playing State of Origin within 2 years. He will be in camp with players from the Roosters, Rabbits etc who will be aplying finals every year and telling him how good it is. Really its up to the club to improve so we dont have to fight to keep him. I dont want this to become another Tedesco.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Agree with what you are saying, he seems to genuinley love the club and the faith we showed in him. My concern is the guy will be playing State of Origin within 2 years. He will be in camp with players from the Roosters, Rabbits etc who will be aplying finals every year and telling him how good it is. Really its up to the club to improve so we dont have to fight to keep him. I dont want this to become another Tedesco.
This is the key point, if the club as a whole improves you no longer have to beg and pay overs for players. You strengthen the team with one or two players every year and within a few years you're a contender, whether that be recruitment or bringing through juniors.
Outside of Gus's 10 year plan, the current panthers squad was put together over a 4-5 year period adding 2-3 players a year. There was only 5 of the current team in their 2016 full NRL squad (Cleary, JFH, Leota, Yeo and Edwards) that went out first week of finals, hopefully next year we are somewhere near that and can continue to improve from there.

Yes.

We know from the interview last year, he was considered one of the "core group" that Madge wanted to keep for as long as possible and also use to attract other players.

AD, Blorey, Laurie and Lucy were the others.

I think Stef said he was more surprised than anyone else that he made SOO train on squad.

I don't think he has the learned "Don't you know who I am?" personality.....Not that the Squid and his mates cant fix that problem as you say.

WA Tiger

Bench
Pretty much sums it up for our good players ..If Madge doesn’t work out I’m going for the dark horse Cayless the new defence coach as the up and comer ..I like what he says and how he says it. He Captained the Kiwis/Eels, and his birth date doesn't hurt either..

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I think the COE next year is going to make a massive difference to how the players feel about the club. The days of players just rolling up their sleeves and saying "the weights are all the same at every club" are long over. Players want to feel special and training out of demountables would not help.

We are coming very close to the tipping point for the Wests Tigers. If we don't make the finals within the next 3 years then yes, we will likely lose all of our good players (i.e. Laurie and Stefano) and have to start from scratch again. But if we can just crack the finals then our good players will be much more driven to build on what they have created and actually help bring better players to WT.

If Hastings turns out to be a better halfback than Brooks, plus we are able to sign an experienced gun centre and a really good back rower (i.e. Papali'i) then we can legit make the top 8 within the next 2 years.

I think the COE next year is going to make a massive difference to how the players feel about the club. The days of players just rolling up their sleeves and saying "the weights are all the same at every club" are long over. Players want to feel special and training out of demountables would not help.

We are coming very close to the tipping point for the Wests Tigers. If we don't make the finals within the next 3 years then yes, we will likely lose all of our good players (i.e. Laurie and Stefano) and have to start from scratch again. But if we can just crack the finals then our good players will be much more driven to build on what they have created and actually help bring better players to WT.

If Hastings turns out to be a better halfback than Brooks, plus we are able to sign an experienced gun centre and a really good back rower (i.e. Papali'i) then we can legit make the top 8 within the next 2 years.

I tend to agree.

Winning 33% of our games last season was bad as well as the way in which a lost a lot of them.

But the state of play looks less ordinary when you factor in that we lost 4 games by 4 points or less which means one just one converted try or one proper defensive set in each of these 4 games could have made a massive difference. Not 5 or 6, just 1, the absolute minimum effort possible that evaded us, that we just couldn’t capture. Something we would have done at training hundreds of time a week.

That game against South’s, the pressure got to us and we got stage fright. We just have to find some resilience, the confidence.

This was all under the ambit of a generally substandard squad still reeling from cap shock. That figure again, according to Justin’s email, 66% of cap is all we had and it takes a few years to address that dilemma.

Brooks is an important piece of the puzzle moving forward.

I’m wondering if Brooksy and Hasto could build a formidable combo. If they join forces and click, AD might well be pushed along. If they “get a room” on the paddock so to speak, they could be quite a lethal combination.

Brooksy really needs this pressure for his game. Hastings is going to toughen him up and rip the tissues out of his hand. The chilling out is over. He will be a much better player for Hastings on his tail.

Add Noddy and Benji in specialist roles, and I think there’s some hope in the halves.

If we can get confident, if we can master or improve on our mental toughness, the good players will stay. The holy grail is to journey with a struggling side, play well, grow and be a part of as it becomes competitive and successful. It’s a special opportunity.

Last edited:

Ron's_Mate

Bench
NRL approaches Bulldogs and Tigers as governing body looks to build and own new stadium
By Michael Chammas and Chris O'Keefe
November 17, 2021 — 7.30pm

The NRL has made preliminary enquiries about building its own stadium in south-west Sydney, approaching the Wests Tigers and Bulldogs to gauge their appetite in playing out of a potential new venue in Liverpool or Rossmore near Western Sydney airport.

The Herald can reveal that ARLC chairman Peter V’landys and NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo spoke to both Bulldogs and Tigers officials this week as the code considers a move to acquire an asset similar to the AFL’s ownership of Marvel Stadium in Melbourne.

Sources with knowledge of the situation said the NRL, which announced an $80 million profit in 2021 and is close to striking a new free-to-air broadcast deal with Nine Entertainment Co worth between $550-$600 million, recently approached the NSW state government about funding for a new stadium in south-west Sydney.

The NRL was met with resistance given Penrith, Brookvale and Sydney Olympic Park were about to be announced as the beneficiaries of the $800 million investment pledge into Sydney stadia underpinned by a long-term commitment to keep the grand final in NSW.

The NRL is now exploring the possibility of purchasing a piece of land and building its own stadium that it could rent out to rugby league clubs, other sporting codes and the entertainment industry.

The two likely options on the table would be a new stadium at the 26,000sq metre former Oasis site in Liverpool, which is currently owned by Canterbury Leagues, or a vacant block of land near Western Sydney Airport in Rossmore. The NRL declined to comment.

The Oasis site isn’t big enough for a stadium with a capacity greater than 20,000 and would require Liverpool City Council to give up nearby land.

"The Bulldogs are open to hearing proposals and have the good of the game in our thinking," Bulldogs chairman John Khoury said. "But at the moment we have not received any formal proposals."

The NRL signalled its intention this week when it approached the two western Sydney clubs to gauge where they want to play future matches.

The Wests Tigers are desperate to find a permanent home having spent the past two decades in multiple venues across the city.

The Tigers' preference is for a major refurbishment of their current part-time stadium in Campbelltown, which would see them play 10 games out of the venue each year and two games at Leichhardt Oval.

However, the club hasn’t shut the door on Liverpool or Badgerys Creek if the NRL was to move ahead with plans to explore the possibility of owning its own stadium near a 24-hour international airport with new roads and railway infrastructure in a booming region.

"I've made it very well known that I believe the greatest challenge facing the Wests Tigers is securing a permanent home in the short to medium term," Tigers chairman Lee Hagipantelis told the Herald.

"I have also made it publicly known that the future of the Wests Tigers lies in the south-west of Sydney, whilst also maintaining a connection with our traditional roots in the inner-west.

"We are very excited by the prospect of a stadium in either Liverpool or Campbelltown and are very much open to consult with all stakeholders to ensure the best possible outcome for the Wests Tigers."

The Bulldogs have a blueprint in place to increase its footprint at Belmore by securing a long-term lease at the traditional venue to continue to have its administration, pathways system and NRL setup all together in the one facility.

As for its playing future, the club has historically backed plans to refurbish Sydney Olympic Park, which could include a roof as per the latest government plans.

As first reported by the Herald in June, the NSW government is in the process of committing to a new $300m, 25,000-seat stadium in Penrith, with construction earmarked to begin at the end of the 2022 NRL season. The Panthers will play out of CommBank Stadium in Parramatta for two seasons before returning home in 2025.

The government is also set to commit around $200 million to the upgrade of Brookvale Oval, with one option being discussed including the replacement of the iconic suburban hill with a new grandstand.

It’s understood the government has decided against investing $200 million in a proposed redevelopment of Kogarah Oval, with the St George Illawarra Dragons and local council set to miss out.

Latest posts