What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank Sydney clubs in Size!!!!

Lambretta

First Grade
Is this the Eastern Suburbs Roosters? Sydney City? Sydney? Bondi? Who are we talking about here? No wonder their fans have dissappeared - They don't know what their bloody team is called anymore!

I would suggest that our supporter numbers are directly linked to our on field performances rather than our name.

During our most successful period we were known as Sydney City Roosters and the people flocked to see us. Yet the name was dropped as it wasnt popular. Strange that.

Dragon Dave

Bench
I would suggest that our supporter numbers are directly linked to our on field performances rather than our name.

During our most successful period we were known as Sydney City Roosters and the people flocked to see us. Yet the name was dropped as it wasnt popular. Strange that.

Which says alot about Roosters fans. Fickle. You only sing when you're winning.

ByRd

First Grade
Actually we just have one- for mighty St George and 'St Merge'.

On the topic of merge jokes, the NRL itself is a 'merged' comp, from the ARL and Super League, established in 1998. That means the teams with the highest amount of comps in this competition are Brisbane and Melbourne with 3. You guys have only won one. If you consider all of Saints premierships to be lost because of the JV then you must state that all the league years from 1908-97 are lost as well, including the team's that won premierships in those years. If you say the Dragons are a mere 10 years old, then the NRL is only a mere 11 years old, and thus all those premierships you guys won, (the millions of them) are lost, just like ours then.:crazy:
Ok, so going by your logic its:

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs- 1

St Merge Steelers- 0

still good for me

ByRd

First Grade
:lol::lol:
coming from a Dragons fan, thats a bit rich & just a little bit of info for you, since St Merge was formed in 1999 you guys have had an overall home crowd average of 13,622 whereas the Roosters have had 14,176. (and that is you guys having two sets of fans to call upon)

Jono1987

Juniors
:lol::lol:
coming from a Dragons fan, thats a bit rich & just a little bit of info for you, since St Merge was formed in 1999 you guys have had an overall home crowd average of 13,622 whereas the Roosters have had 14,176. (and that is you guys having two sets of fans to call upon)

Aside from your ridiculous generalisations about Dragons fans, that comment you posted is extremely naive for the following reasons;

* Consider how many fans of both clubs simply stopped following the merged team either completely or stopped going to games
* Our fans have to travel to two sets of home stadiums as well as all the away games
* Both home stadiums are small by comparison and until very recently could hold little more than 20k, which is usually brought down for safety reasons. I'd love for the Dragons to be playing out of an all-seater stadium like the Roosters enjoy. I wouldn't mind betting that if Kogarah was an all-seater we'd be averaging a far higher number.

Aside from your ridiculous generalisations about Dragons fans, that comment you posted is extremely naive for the following reasons;

* Consider how many fans of both clubs simply stopped following the merged team either completely or stopped going to games
* Our fans have to travel to two sets of home stadiums as well as all the away games
* Both home stadiums are small by comparison and until very recently could hold little more than 20k, which is usually brought down for safety reasons. I'd love for the Dragons to be playing out of an all-seater stadium like the Roosters enjoy. I wouldn't mind betting that if Kogarah was an all-seater we'd be averaging a far higher number.

So you're saying some Saints fans quit the club because your team changed its socks? Now that's fickle!

Dragon Dave

Bench

Not to mention the fact that Dragons fans continually make crowd figures look healthy for other teams. You go to any ground in the NRL and if the Dragons are playing you can be sure to see a whole bunch of Red V's.

Don't believe me, check out the SFS when we play the Roosters away, or the Swamp when we play the 40 year old virgins, or even Robina when we play the Titans. Couple of years ago Preston Campbell said after the Saints played the Titans at Skilled Park he thought there was more Red and White in the ground, and he was right.

Atleast when Saints are losing we don't destroy trains and get in fights - like Bulldogs fans.

jpaciocco91

Juniors

A lot of Illawarra Steelers fans don't support the JV, due to the fact they believe the Tin Men don't get enough recognition. Check the Steelers group on Facebook for more info.

And Byrd, Canterbury Bankstown haven't won yet since the NRL was formed in '98. The Sydney-Mitsubushi Electric-Homebush Chihuahuas did. Oh well, if you're gonna say St George and St 'Merge' are two different teams then I'll do the same too.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade

Name one club that has higher attendances whilst getting the Wooden Spoon than it did whilst winning a Premiership.

Every club has the same issues, because like it or not, people enjoy seeing their team WIN Premierships or at least play in Finals campaigns.

You may have noticed last season that getting a ticket for the St George game at Kogarah against Parra was slightly more difficult than getting a ticket to games earlier in the season. It didn't have anything to do with reduced ground capacities either. Every team has fair weather supporters. I'm not going to criticise the Dragons for that.

But I find it galling that you would criticise the Roosters for something your own club suffers from. But it's hardly surprising.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Name one club that has higher attendances whilst getting the Wooden Spoon than it did whilst winning a Premiership.

Every club has the same issues, because like it or not, people enjoy seeing their team WIN Premierships or at least play in Finals campaigns.

You may have noticed last season that getting a ticket for the St George game at Kogarah against Parra was slightly more difficult than getting a ticket to games earlier in the season. It didn't have anything to do with reduced ground capacities either. Every team has fair weather supporters. I'm not going to criticise the Dragons for that.

But I find it galling that you would criticise the Roosters for something your own club suffers from. But it's hardly surprising.

Most games at Kogarah are difficult to get tickets for, due to low capacity and high home membership numbers - but you can't really compare a great suburban ground like Jubilee to the SFS can you.

Obviously there are bandwagon fans at any sporting club and I know there are plenty at the Dragons. But I also believe there are more loyal Dragons fans than there are are Roosters fans. I'm sure you don't fall into that category and I don't really know what it is like to have a very poor team (I'm sure you'll agree.)

Anyway, we are never going to agree - that's the beauty of sport, but I'll see you on ANZAC day. Take a look at bay 38, it will be a magic sight.

:D

Lambretta

First Grade

Didn't the Dragons test playing out of the SFS at one point?

What were their average home gates like then?

But yes, the Dragons average home gate is definately diminished due to the fact that they have used a sub standard suburban ground such as Kogarah as their home ground for so long. Before the renovations, plenty of people would have stayed away. Me among them.

Kogarah has been refurbished now and is actually a highly attractive place to watch football - but it still has it's limits. Being limited to a 20,000 capacity isnt going to raise the average Dragons gate. You need gates of close to 30,000 come Finals time to do that. The Roosters have had those big gates to haul their averages up over the years.

Are there plans in place to really improve WIN stadium and raise the capacity there to 30,000 or so? Long term, WIN is probably the better place to re-develop. Would love to see it personally.

The Dragons are a big club and have a big support. Their fans deserve a big home stadium for big games.

Lambretta

First Grade
Most games at Kogarah are difficult to get tickets for, due to low capacity and high home membership numbers - but you can't really compare a great suburban ground like Jubilee to the SFS can you.

You're right. The SFS is far superior in every single respect :p

What Sydney needs is a stadium like this one

MK-Dons--Stadium-MK_1066443.jpg

Stadium mk in Milton Keynes is brilliant example of a modern stadium done well. It currently holds 22,000 people but the upper tier of concrete you can see is currently empty. If the Dons get promotion to the Coca Cola Championship an additioal 10,000 seats can be immediately screwed in on the upper tier.

If the team makes the Premiership, the roof is removable and a new tier can be easily added for an additional 10,000 - 15,000 seats.

That's planning.

Sydney needs a bit of that.

Every seat is padded, and there is ample leg room for people to walk past. However this space does not come at a cost of being away from the action. Regardless of where you sit in the stadium you have a great view and are close to the action. I am looking forward to Boxing Day, when I'll be sittingh behind the goals watching the Dons.

Dragon Dave

Bench
We sure do need one of those in Sydney. Have you been to Skilled Park? Absolutely perfect NRL stadium. One of those somewhere near the CBD would be a massive step in the right direction for the NRL and would also benefit the A-League and possibly the Super 14.

Lambretta

First Grade
I havent been to Skilled yet, but it certainly looks the nuts on tv.

As far as Sydney goes, the SFS is fine for the CBD - no other stadium is required in a 10k radius of the City.

Western Sydney needs a 35,000 all seater and I'd like to see the South of Sydney get something.

Wollongong makes sense, as they have the Dragons and the possibility of an A-League football team in the future.

But without a magical money pot, it's all piss and wind anyway. :p

Dragon Dave

Bench
WIN Stadium is getting a brand new two-tiered grandstand next year, and will probably continue its renovations in the coming years. Kogarah also has a master plan and I think both will be all-seaters eventually.

Tom Ace

Bench

On the topic of merge jokes, the NRL itself is a 'merged' comp, from the ARL and Super League, established in 1998. That means the teams with the highest amount of comps in this competition are Brisbane and Melbourne with 3. You guys have only won one. If you consider all of Saints premierships to be lost because of the JV then you must state that all the league years from 1908-97 are lost as well, including the team's that won premierships in those years. If you say the Dragons are a mere 10 years old, then the NRL is only a mere 11 years old, and thus all those premierships you guys won, (the millions of them) are lost, just like ours then.:crazy:

Yet the NRL recognises competitions won by teams before the merger. They don't recognise any of St Georges premierships as being St Merges.

yobbo84

Coach

Wow. Who needs a brain with logic like that.:crazy:

Latest posts