What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank Sydney clubs in Size!!!!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Locally in the CB area that might be the case, but I see a lot of the other types of merchandise where I am on the Coast.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Disagree completely with the Bulldogs. Having lived in Bankstown most of my life IMO the Bulldogs are one of those teams where you see people wear their jerseys all the time.... mainly because of their friendly colour scheme.

Totally agree, I see people wear Bulldogs jerseys to night clubs, cant believe they get in.

Lambretta

First Grade
Funny how people perceive clubs isnt it?

Between 1998 and 2003 the Roosters were consistantly in the top 3 for crowd averages in Sydney and even came on top more than once.

So as for being the smallest Sydney team as voted by the majority of people on here .... think again please.

It's very hard to gauge the size of a club. During the 98-03 period, the Roosters were successful and that translated into big crowds. Also, the Roosters have a great stadium, so lots of away fans travelled there for the big games. I'm not going to pretend that our crowds werent bumped up by Dogs and Dragons fans travelling to our games etc.

But having said all that - and looking at a level playing field, with teams having similar results etc, then I would put the Bulldogs, Souths and the Dragons (and yes, I'll include Wollongong fans here) in the top three.

My logic? They bring the most support to all games (including away games) and you only have to look at Souths membership numbers and crowds when they venture into the top 8 to see that they are a big club.

Parramatta and the Tigers are right behind them in my estimate. The Tigers, if they were a bit more successful would probably match the top three in size. In all honesty there probably isnt much between these five clubs.

The Roosters, in my estimates come next, but then I'm biased. Manly, Penrith and Cronulla are pretty much on a par and if I were a little less biased, I'd admit that they're on a par with the Roosters. OK, I admit it - they are. But there's not much between any of us.

LRC

Between 1998 and 2003 the Roosters were consistantly in the top 3 for crowd averages in Sydney and even came on top more than once.

So as for being the smallest Sydney team as voted by the majority of people on here .... think again please.

It's very hard to gauge the size of a club. During the 98-03 period, the Roosters were successful and that translated into big crowds. Also, the Roosters have a great stadium, so lots of away fans travelled there for the big games. I'm not going to pretend that our crowds werent bumped up by Dogs and Dragons fans travelling to our games etc.

But having said all that - and looking at a level playing field, with teams having similar results etc, then I would put the Bulldogs, Souths and the Dragons (and yes, I'll include Wollongong fans here) in the top three.

My logic? They bring the most support to all games (including away games) and you only have to look at Souths membership numbers and crowds when they venture into the top 8 to see that they are a big club.

Parramatta and the Tigers are right behind them in my estimate. The Tigers, if they were a bit more successful would probably match the top three in size. In all honesty there probably isnt much between these five clubs.

The Roosters, in my estimates come next, but then I'm biased. Manly, Penrith and Cronulla are pretty much on a par and if I were a little less biased, I'd admit that they're on a par with the Roosters. OK, I admit it - they are. But there's not much between any of us.

Hey check out my post on the previous page an follow this link an get an idea of where the chooks stand.

http://www.roymorgan.com/news/press-releases/2009/948/

The roosters have always been one of strongest away supported teams also(pretty much like most of the other traditonal clubs whos supporters are in the suburbs)

These are pretty comprehensive surveys unlike a few opinions or a one off by the telegraph wher ewho ever team is currently who usually has more fans interested.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think we can all agree that Sydney clubs in the last 15 or so years have been well supported and all have great potiential to pack out stadiums. All we need is decent management at club level accross Sydney and we would look alot better consistantly.

Dragon Dave

Bench

Is this the Eastern Suburbs Roosters? Sydney City? Sydney? Bondi? Who are we talking about here? No wonder their fans have dissappeared - They don't know what their bloody team is called anymore!

Bit rich coming from a St George Illawarra fan? Atleast we have kept our name and badge, just added a little bit to the bottom.

carcharias

Immortal
Atleast we have kept our name and badge, just added a little bit to the bottom
I will try to keep that in mind when I travel to Wollongong to watch Cronulla V St George next year.

ByRd

First Grade
Is this the Eastern Suburbs Roosters? Sydney City? Sydney? Bondi? Who are we talking about here? No wonder their fans have dissappeared - They don't know what their bloody team is called anymore!

Bit rich coming from a St George Illawarra fan? Atleast we have kept our name and badge, just added a little bit to the bottom.
My God you St MERGE STEELER fans are delusional

carcharias

Immortal
Cronulla sutherland sharks.

all home games at Cronulla...you know Cronulla...don't you live there?

Dragon Dave

Bench
My God you St MERGE STEELER fans are delusional

I just think that it's sad that a foundation club doesn't even know what they're are going to be called next season and I'd be really pissed off if I was one (of the 13) "Place name here" Roosters fans.

Dragon Dave

Bench
Cronulla sutherland sharks.

all home games at Cronulla...you know Cronulla...don't you live there?

Thankfully I live in Cronulla and not in the mangroves of Woolooware. Actually - seeing as though your season was just as good as the ____Roosters, why don't you consider changing your name to the Woolooware Sharks or maybe the Swamp Sharks.

Luckily for your 15 sponsor army t-shirt fans - even Adelaide didn't want you.

Latest posts