What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Rate the Fullbacks

Well if players didn't lead with their shoulders then it would not matter if he was falling or not eh?

i get what you mean here but... all tackles lead with the shoulder...

You don’t lead with the arm, chest, torso in a front-on tackle situation.

And as it happens... another stumble led to Burr being sinbinned.

Mentioned in another thread, the Roosters have arguably led with way with player welfare but I wonder what they are doing with Tedesco to stop him “falling” into tackles all-too regularly..

I’m not blaming him but ultimately if he’s not falling, none of the last 3 incidents of head contacts simply wouldn’t have happened.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well if players didn't lead with their shoulders then it would not matter if he was falling or not eh?

i get what you mean here but... all tackles lead with the shoulder...

You don’t lead with the arm, chest, torso in a front-on tackle situation.

And as it happens... another stumble led to Burr being sinbinned.

Mentioned in another thread, the Roosters have arguably led with way with player welfare but I wonder what they are doing with Tedesco to stop him “falling” into tackles all-too regularly..

I’m not blaming him but ultimately if he’s not falling, none of the last 3 incidents of head contacts simply wouldn’t have happened.

a7637f1f415af41882361d5c4100e342

This is as front on a tackle as you can get. Not much Burr could do other then disappear into thin air.

Tiger Shark

Bench
No he wouldn't be. He was definately behind Edwards.

Critchton and Staines would also have a claim to the position. Laurie was surplus along with Caleb Aikens.

I thought Chricton was pretty rubbish at fullback whilst he covered for Edwards. Laurie is better than imo at fullback. Maybe just needs more time.

Fangs

Coach
I thought Chricton was pretty rubbish at fullback whilst he covered for Edwards. Laurie is better than imo at fullback. Maybe just needs more time.

He wasn't great but was warming into the role, had some good moments. Laurie has had a solid year so far in an impotent Tigers team. Doing a good job for them. Right now you'd have to rate him as a fullback over Crichton. I much prefer him playing centre.

The real point is that Laurie was down the pecking order in 2020 and that was the forecast in 2021. If he was to play first grade at Penrith this year it would have been on the wing with Crichton or Staines filling in at fullback.

It was the right decision for him to move on, only concern if he isn't getting much support from his team mates at the Tigers.

He wasn't great but was warming into the role, had some good moments. Laurie has had a solid year so far in an impotent Tigers team. Doing a good job for them. Right now you'd have to rate him as a fullback over Crichton. I much prefer him playing centre.

The real point is that Laurie was down the pecking order in 2020 and that was the forecast in 2021. If he was to play first grade at Penrith this year it would have been on the wing with Crichton or Staines filling in at fullback.

It was the right decision for him to move on, only concern if he isn't getting much support from his team mates at the Tigers.

Ive only seen him play a few times but Laurie has been really impressive. Hopefully they don’t let him go like many others before him..

Tough as it was to watch, gotta say I was really impressed with Kennedy last night.

It’d be a flippant thing in saying he “kept the Sharks in the game” like Professor Anasta did... but he was the fella who looked the most dangerous of the Sharks by a long way. Haven’t seen many other Sharks games this year but going by last night, he looks to be a strong long-term solution for them at 1...

Meth

Staff member
What’s Lol about it, he’s a fullback so he should be in the discussion. And I reckon he’d be closer to the top than the bottom of the pile, though not at the level of the elite guys quite yet.

It's pretty clear that you were making a statement that he was contending for a spot in the top echelon of fullbacks already, not that he was a fullback.

And yeah, he's probably already close to the top of the pile than the bottom. But he's not Tedesco or Turbo...yet.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Lol you’re projecting mate, all I said was “Reece Walsh has entered the chat” ie, Walsh now deserves to be part of the discussion when we’re talking about fullbacks. I didn’t say anything about where he ranks.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So whose going to be the brave coach to take what Blues did in origin and use it at club level? ie a second fullback at centre with freedom on attack to just roam around and act as 4th playmaker? Hines at Storm would have been perfect for this type of role

ACTPanthers

Bench
So whose going to be the brave coach to take what Blues did in origin and use it at club level? ie a second fullback at centre with freedom on attack to just roam around and act as 4th playmaker? Hines at Storm would have been perfect for this type of role
Not all fullbacks are Tommy T mate... I doubt many could make the switch and be as dominant as TT was.