What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Price, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater plan to remove Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzge

THEY sacrificed their bodies for a total of 459 games to build a blue-and-gold dynasty. Now Eels greats Ray Price, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater have re-united to tear one down.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal that former front-row bookend Leabeater has joined the ticket that aims to overthrow the Parramatta football club board and veteran CEO Denis Fitzgerald.
The Eels greats are fed up with the current management that has failed to deliver a title since they last played together in 1986. "I think things have been the same for too long and there needs to be change," Leabeater said.
Price, Grothe and Leabeater are on a rival ticket that aims to bring fresh faces to the seven-man Eels board, which features four directors who have overseen more than 15 barren seasons. Fitzgerald has served as CEO for 30 years.
"I've spoken to so many Parramatta fans who are desperate for a change," Grothe said.

"Running for the board will be worth it for all those people who are disheartened with what's happened to the club over the past 10 or 15 years."

At least seven more challengers will be nominated alongside Price, Grothe and Leabeater when applications close at 5pm tomorrow.
Among them are millionaire property developers, successful businessmen and current sponsors.
The list of challenging nominees will then be narrowed to a final ticket of seven before the football club AGM on December 14.
Serious talks about forming a rival ticket have gained momentum since June and came to a head at a secret meeting in Parramatta on Tuesday night. More than 20 Parramatta identities - including six current sponsors, local councillors, former footballers and a doctor - gathered for the three-hour meeting where 11 agreed to contest the election if required.
Leabeater, who has set up a consultancy alongside the Men of League Foundation to help former footballers with their business affairs, revealed fellow great Brett Kenny had convinced him to run.
"Above all, I want to see the past players welcomed back to the club - people like Bert (Kenny) and Peter Sterling," Leabeater said. The rival ticket has branded itself "3P" because it is determined to restore "Parramatta's pride and passion". "The ticket is about Parramatta being a home for everyone," an insider said.
Winning, however, will not be easy. The football club boasts an estimated 300 voting members, and the vast majority have traditionally been convinced to keep the incumbent directors in power.
In turn, the board - which has been headed by chairman Alan Overton for the past 22 years - has extended Fitzgerald's tenure as CEO to three straight decades.
They are even throwing a 30th anniversary party to mark the occasion next Friday night.
Nicknamed "The Emperor" because of his incredible reign, Fitzgerald also controls Parramatta Leagues Club under the identical seven-man board.
Regardless of next month's result, the rival ticket has already vowed to stay together and challenge at the upcoming leagues club election early next year.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24677688-5006066,00.html

bartman

Immortal
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24677688-5006066,00.html

0,,6358332,00.jpg

Ray Price, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater plan to remove Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald Exclusive by Josh Massoud | November 20, 2008 12:00am

THEY sacrificed their bodies for a total of 459 games to build a blue-and-gold dynasty. Now Eels greats Ray Price, Eric Grothe and Terry Leabeater have re-united to tear one down. The Daily Telegraph can reveal that former front-row bookend Leabeater has joined the ticket that aims to overthrow the Parramatta football club board and veteran CEO Denis Fitzgerald.

The Eels greats are fed up with the current management that has failed to deliver a title since they last played together in 1986. "I think things have been the same for too long and there needs to be change," Leabeater said.

Price, Grothe and Leabeater are on a rival ticket that aims to bring fresh faces to the seven-man Eels board, which features four directors who have overseen more than 15 barren seasons. Fitzgerald has served as CEO for 30 years.

"I've spoken to so many Parramatta fans who are desperate for a change," Grothe said.
"Running for the board will be worth it for all those people who are disheartened with what's happened to the club over the past 10 or 15 years."

At least seven more challengers will be nominated alongside Price, Grothe and Leabeater when applications close at 5pm tomorrow.
Among them are millionaire property developers, successful businessmen and current sponsors.

The list of challenging nominees will then be narrowed to a final ticket of seven before the football club AGM on December 14.

Serious talks about forming a rival ticket have gained momentum since June and came to a head at a secret meeting in Parramatta on Tuesday night. More than 20 Parramatta identities - including six current sponsors, local councillors, former footballers and a doctor - gathered for the three-hour meeting where 11 agreed to contest the election if required.

Leabeater, who has set up a consultancy alongside the Men of League Foundation to help former footballers with their business affairs, revealed fellow great Brett Kenny had convinced him to run.

"Above all, I want to see the past players welcomed back to the club - people like Bert (Kenny) and Peter Sterling," Leabeater said. The rival ticket has branded itself "3P" because it is determined to restore "Parramatta's pride and passion". "The ticket is about Parramatta being a home for everyone," an insider said.

Winning, however, will not be easy. The football club boasts an estimated 300 voting members, and the vast majority have traditionally been convinced to keep the incumbent directors in power.

In turn, the board - which has been headed by chairman Alan Overton for the past 22 years - has extended Fitzgerald's tenure as CEO to three straight decades.
They are even throwing a 30th anniversary party to mark the occasion next Friday night.

Nicknamed "The Emperor" because of his incredible reign, Fitzgerald also controls Parramatta Leagues Club under the identical seven-man board.
Regardless of next month's result, the rival ticket has already vowed to stay together and challenge at the upcoming leagues club election early next year.

bartman

Immortal
"At least seven more challengers will be nominated alongside Price, Grothe and Leabeater when applications close at 5pm tomorrow.
Among them are millionaire property developers, successful businessmen and current sponsors."
Wow! I guess that takes care of the problem of Leabeater not being eligible then...

The very good bit imo - that the ticket wants to stay together regardless of the result and contest the Leagues Club election in April. That shows they do know what they're doing, and what achieving specific changes (not generally removing a demonised CEO, but getting an influence on the NRLC where the core Parra footy business is dealt with) will actually take. :D

The very bad bit imo - that Josh Massoud still runs with the anti-Fitzy headline and anti-Fitzy paragraphs, even though none of the candidates is quoted as saying that stuff at all. :(

JOSH, you're taking away from the positive message that these guys need to get out there to convince the "vast majority (that) have traditionally been convinced to keep the incumbent directors in power" of their potential worth as Directors :fist:. Clearly this hack hasn't learnt anything from his f**k up on the weekend in misquoting Lynn.

They already will have the anti-Fitzy vote all sewn up - so if Josh himself is keen to see some changes in the results of the Board election to report on, then he'd better concentrate putting the headlines aside and instead giving these guys more of a proper platform to try and convince the people in the middle with their specific ideas for change.

Stagger eel

Staff member
7 hey???..

I wonder if the 7 are coming from the other side of the rival ticket, I do know of atleast 1 of those candadates but I'm just wondering if they're together or if it consists other rival tickets.

I was told thatthe board are sh*tting themselves, if this is true I now know why.

Stagger eel

Staff member
and your right Bart..it appears that these people know what their doing and the football club board is only a small part of big battle..if they get in than they have 6 months to continue their fight and try and convince 60000 people to vote for them, some of which don't even know rugby league exists.

Gronk

Staff member
Should winning the comp be there priority for the Board ? I would have thought that their objective first and foremost is to provide the coach with the resources to do the job that he is paid to do. Longterm they need to bring to the boardroom the business aptitude to secure our future.

Looking forward to seeing who else is on their ticket and wish them well.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the plot thickens

this is becoming bigger than the US elections

must be alot of people out there who want to see the end of Fitzy

eel01s

Bench
Stupid question I know, but:

Do you have to be a member of the Football Club in order to stand for election as a director?

Stagger eel

Staff member
the plot thickens

this is becoming bigger than the US elections

must be alot of people out there who want to see the end of Fitzy

well, these ellections are only about 30% of the battle completed to get rid of Fitzy, the big one will be in 6 months time.

i sent the telecrap a comment on the site re this article and the fact Terry is not a member and therefore can't run for the board. And as normal when ever i send them a comment that has facts in it they refuse to place it on the comments below the article. Thats twice this week i have stated the fact regarding a article and twice they have not placed it on the site. So they want opinions but only if they agree with thier made up versions of reality.
I say we boycot the tele, infact i already have been for the last month.

Gronk

Staff member
i sent the telecrap a comment on the site re this article and the fact Terry is not a member and therefore can't run for the board. And as normal when ever i send them a comment that has facts in it they refuse to place it on the comments below the article. Thats twice this week i have stated the fact regarding a article and twice they have not placed it on the site. So they want opinions but only if they agree with thier made up versions of reality.

It's pretty clear that New Ltd is in the midst of two campaigns at the moment. One is to oust the NSW Labor party from office and the second is to do the same to Fitzy.

I wont complain if either come to fruition, however I question why we should put up with media who are not impartial.

fish eel

Immortal

Except for those times you went to their website this week :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
It's pretty clear that New Ltd is in the midst of two campaigns at the moment. One is to oust the NSW Labor party from office and the second is to do the same to Fitzy.

Funny thing is, Fitzy the dirty lib would support one of those two campaigns!!!

I wont complain if either come to fruition, however I question why we should put up with media who are not impartial.

Most people dont give a toss, thats why.