What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ray Price

cardinal

Juniors
Eels dump Ray Price

Article from: </IMG>
By Nick Walshaw
December 07, 2007 12:00am

THEY called him Mr Perpetual Motion - but Parramatta hero Ray Price has finally been floored by the ultimate insult.
In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, Price has slammed the Eels for stripping his name from the main lounge bar at Parramatta Stadium.
In a letter received from the Stadium Trust last week, the Eels legend was told his room had been renamed the Cumberland Lounge for "business strategy" reasons.
The snubbing means there is now not one public facility - grandstand, terrace, lounge or bar - named after the only man to play in all seven Parramatta grand finals.
How do you feel about how Ray Price has been treated? Vote in our poll (below right) and go the 'Have your Say' box below and let us know:
"Mate, the whole thing is pathetic, sickens me," Price fired yesterday.
"I mean, why give me something if you're only going to take it away again?
"And then to come up with some excuse about it being for a business strategy or something. Is my name really that f...... bad?"
Despite being arguably the greatest Parramatta player ever, Price has never received the same honours as fellow champions Ken Thornett, Michael Cronin, Peter Sterling or Brett Kenny.
And the Budgewoi carpenter fears this latest insult is the result of his ongoing feud with Eels boss Denis Fitzgerald - himself one of seven Trust board members.
"There's definitely a stench to it," Price conceded.
"I mean, first they took down the (Ray Price Lounge) sign for a couple of years. I know that because I went in there and the bloody thing was gone.
"Even when I received life membership they gave me grandstand tickets on halfway, but do you know where they are now? They're down behind the dead ball line.
"So what can you say? Do they really want me gone that bad?"
Defending the board's decision, Fitzgerald last night said the lounge was hired out "100 times a year" for weddings, seminars and corporate functions.
"So it's not just a football room," he said.
Eels chairman Alan Overton agreed the renamed room would be "easier to hire out" while venue manager Luke Coleman described the decision as "unanimous".
As a trade-off, Price's name will now be attached to a smaller suite in the corporate bleachers - a decision already angering club supporters.
"Because Pricey is a hero to the battlers, not the suits," Joe Saad, a fan for 30 years, spat. "But they'll probably take that too . . . eventually just name a chair after him."
Asked if he feared his footprint being removed from the club completely, Price added: "That's probably their aim, yeah.
"But to be honest, I don't give a s... about the officials. The only people I care about these days are the fans.
"And I still have my achievements. That and all the great memories . . . mate, they can't take that away from me."

Stagger eel

Staff member
to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not sure whether Fitzy and Ovo had too much say in the decision, I'd actually like to hear their side of the story, if it is a story??

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
to be perfectly honest with you, I'm not sure whether Fitzy and Ovo had too much say in the decision, I'd actually like to hear their side of the story, if it is a story??

well if they didnt have a say, why didnt they just say so?

Defending the board's decision, Fitzgerald last night said the lounge was hired out "100 times a year" for weddings, seminars and corporate functions.
"So it's not just a football room," he said.
Eels chairman Alan Overton agreed the renamed room would be "easier to hire out

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish, you of all people should know how the media can spin a story, first of all, the board contains more people making decisions than Ovo and Fitzy and seciondly it appears that they've made an attempt name a "suite" after him, to compensate it albeit smaller acording to the very reliable, spin king Daily Telegraph.

Mate, if it was a vendetta against pricey, this decision would of been made years ago....let's get fairdinkum about it.

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
fish, you of all people should know how the media can spin a story, first of all, the board contains more people making decisions than Ovo and Fitzy and seciondly it appears that they've made an attempt name a "suite" after him, to compensate it albeit smaller acording to the very reliable, spin king Daily Telegraph.

while venue manager Luke Coleman described the decision as "unanimous".

yes the story might be a beat up, but it just reinforces the perception that we treat our past and our legends with contempt. I suppose I just think it would have been nice if fitzy and ovo, as the major tennants of the stadium, actually stood up and defended one of our own, regardless of who it was. ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
yes the story might be a beat up, but it just reinforces the perception that we treat our past and our legends with contempt. I suppose I just think it would have been nice if fitzy and ovo, as the major tennants of the stadium, actually stood up and defended one of our own, regardless of who it was. ;-)

yeah, and I've had a strong opinion of that in the past, only problem is when the sitting on the board of Stadium trust, [or whatever it's called] they're representing the stadium not the club, despite it being a major tennant.

here's one for you, as a CEO and Chairman of the NRL club how do you think they took the decision in moving to Telstra, I would imagine not very lightly.

that's the problem when you wear too many which directly affects the club.

A better story actually would of been what their opinion was in moving 2 games to Telstra, I'm surprised the Tele didn't go that angle ;-)

TheRam

Coach
eelavation said:

Mate, if it was a vendetta against pricey, this decision would of been made years ago....let's get fairdinkum about it.

Mate, the only ones that needs to get fairdinkkum is the trust and you!

fish eel

Immortal
eela said:
only problem is when the sitting on the board of Stadium trust, [or whatever it's called] they're representing the stadium not the club, despite it being a major tennant.

Surely they're only there because they represent the major tennant? :?

A better story actually would of been what their opinion was in moving 2 games to Telstra, I'm surprised the Tele didn't go that angle

And I'd beat that up to buggery if I wrote for the telegraph, ie 'Cash Strapped Eels' and write up how the former glamour club, was so desperate for cash they were abandoning their heartland, and I'd ask whether this was the start of a long term relocation plan?

Personally, I think a few people get a bit precious about what the tele write.....and after all, they havent written the telstra story from that angle, have they?

Gronk

Staff member
Major beatup if you ask me. Nothing to do with the Footy Club. The Telecrap have made this sound like it's a premeditated move to snub Pricey. I don't see it that way at all. In fact it would seem that they have been very mindful of the respect everyone has for him and have gone out of their way to accommodate his name in Stadium.

IMAGE.jpg

Stagger eel

Staff member
Just to clear a few things up!!!

Ray Price was on the BSB this morning he's obviously mighty pissed off and still believes that management have it in for him, however he still loves the club to death and was quoted as saying that WE!!!!! should sign Ander Ryan up and get him patnering Nathan Hindmarsh in the backrow.

then

Fitzy was on the program and said in no uncertain terms that he was not present at the meeting, he didn't know about the name change and didn't vote on it!!!

See what i mean Fish about trusting the Telegraph??? ;-)

strider

Post Whore
and their grammar leaves a little to be desired - "I trust this is order." - yes, is order for 3 fries and 2 burgers.

I think the mock-up was done a bit quick as the deadline for stories closed in :lol:

Stagger eel

Staff member
TheRam said:
Mate, the only ones that needs to get fairdinkkum is the trust and you!

yeah!! I'm the one who voted it out and never want to see Ray at the club ever again...:roll:

Dickhead!!!! :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
eelavation said:
Fitzy was on the program and said in no uncertain terms that he was not present at the meeting, he didn't know about the name change and didn't vote on it!!!

See what i mean Fish about trusting the Telegraph??? ;-)

Fair enough.

Why not just give that same quote to the tele rather than some pussyfooting quote about 'not just a football venue' ?

strider

Post Whore
fish eel said:
Fair enough.

Why not just give that same quote to the tele rather than some pussyfooting quote about 'not just a football venue' ?
thats the point isn't it? maybe he did say that to the Tele - they just pick what they print

fish eel

Immortal
strider said:
thats the point isn't it? maybe he did say that to the Tele - they just pick what they print

Not quite. ;-)

If he started and stopped his grabs with what he said on the radio this morning the story would have been much better, but he obviously tried to justify the decision - giving the tele a bit of ammo - and obviously if he did tell the tele what he said on the radio, but then went on to try and justify it, it's pretty clear what part of the quote they'll use. And Fitzgerald has been around long enough to know that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:
Fair enough.

mate, the strange thing is, Fitzgerald warned Walshaw not to have his name connected to the story for the basic reason that he wasn't there to cast the vote, Then Terry Kennedy asked a Fitzy the obvious Hypathetical question and Fitzy's quote was that he would have been very reluctant to cast the vote if he was present because he was the one who was going to cop the bad wrap for it...

my question is, is Fitzy getting soft in his old age????

the incredible thing to come out of this is that Fitzy almost tried to go out of his way not to upset Pricey and it backfired on him...he can't win!! :lol: