What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 12: Raiders @ Cows

sydraider

First Grade
Heres one for big Si

"Oh Canberra, is wonderful, Oh canberra is wonderful, its got a lake and the raiders, oh canberra is wonderful"

:lol: :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
:lol: careful now syd, thems fighting words!

Battle of the Titans:
Syd, representing the pride of the SGB takes on Big Si of the army

woodgers

Bench
Awesome win, gutsy win. That is what I wanted to see.

Everyone put in, even Howell who did well. See what we can do out wide when Elliott picks (almost besides Chalk) the right players?

Carney made some blunders. He fell off the tackle for the 1st Cowboys try but I thought he did wonderfully considering he was targetted in defence (can someone tell me his tackle count?). You tell me a time when the Raiders played such expansive footy than tonight? Carney got some good ball out wide and without being a drag, Withers and Germ were the thorns stopping the promotion of the ball out wide. Todd's long kicking game also kept us in good stead tonight and was part of the reason we won. At the end, Germ and Withers were trying that short chip stuff which is rubbish and it almost cost us. All in all, Todd made a few errors but anyone saying that without more game time he won't control the matches more is living in la la land. Said it for 2 years, he is what we need.

TLL. You were mense son! Every time attracting defenders and always a threat. A really top buy for Canberra and I must credit Management and Elliott for getting him here. He is 5 times the 2nd rower Stagg is, yet doesn't get talked about. He has talent and we must utilise it.

Frawley/Graham together! Wonderful! A few teething problems but they work well together. Attack and defence they did well.

Chalky....roving backrower. Ed, any comments? He was awesome if you ask me and was in everything. A few mistakes but then again, ringnut has given him few opportunities. He will be very handy in that role in the back end of this year. Raiders - SIGN HIM. Priority 1.

Germ. Alright game but what the f**k were you doing 'glory hunting' with 4 to go? We were under the sticks and just had to settle for the last for a FG, yet in all your experience you threw a wild ball out to Graham to create something! Just dumb and put us in jeapardy in E/T. People think we will miss his experience...I look at some of his options and kicks tonight and say good ridence!

All in all i'm over the moon. I'm not that fussed that Todd kicked the winning F/G, any H/B can do it evidenced by scum bag last Wednesday. I was happy to see a committed Raiders line up the scrambled their arses off in defence and beat the Cowboys at their own game by throwing the footy wide.

Wel done Raiders. I'm proud of you....and that had been rare.

Chachi

Bench
To state the obvious, that was an awesome defensive effort. If we take that attitude into the next round we'll destroy the bunnies.

Great game from TLL (again), Tongue is a freak and Mogg has really stepped it up from a shocking 2005. Even Hodgo is finding some form. We've now won more games away than at home and it was especially good doing it without Smith. I'd prefer not to talk about some of the dumb things Howell did though...

Good solid display from Carney and I was particularly happy that he took responsibility for kicking the field goal. We should really forgive his defensive failings - Marshall, Lockyer and Thurston do the same every week, but they are matchwinners, and while I'm not suggesting that Carney is at their level, he is good enough to win us games too - once he gets some confidence and consistent game time.

All we need now is Zilly and Weyman to squeeze their way back into the team and I'll be a happy camper. :)

aussies1st

Staff member
Carney has the size to be a good defender. Just a bit more working on defence and he'll be fine.

Chachi

Bench
I agree - and I don't think the idea of sending him back to PL to work on his defense (like our coach does on a regular basis) helps him one little bit when he gets back in first grade. The only thing it does is f*** with his mind and confidence.

legend

Coach
Thurling and Weyman in for Jones and Williams and I'm a happy camper. I'll reserve judgement on Howell but he does make some really bad mistakes at crucial times and almost cost us the match.

That knock on was a shocker and the drop ball in the in-goal wasn't much better.

Mogg is on fire at the moment as is Tom LL, who was devestating last night and if we can get Thurling as an effective interchange player with Weyman, our forwards will start to dominate, giving us more possession in the opposition half and greater control of the game.

aussies1st

Staff member
Chachi said:
I agree - and I don't think the idea of sending him back to PL to work on his defense (like our coach does on a regular basis) helps him one little bit when he gets back in first grade. The only thing it does is f*** with his mind and confidence.

I hope Smith shifts to halfback leave Carney at 5/8 (his most likely future position) and put Withers on the bench at last.

Bay56

First Grade
In the past two weeks we've played against the early season heavy weights in the Knights and Cowboys .... we lost one which we could have easily won and won the other which we could have easily lost. ... both away from home where stats are not in our favour ... and both of those games were without J.Smith. Note they we also received some almighty thumpings early in the season with J.Smith playing.

So what point am I getting to ???

It is about time we hand over the reigns to the likes of Carney and Zillman. Withers/Woolford sharing the 9 jersey and Toots/Smith sharing 13 (but only if Smith agrees to giving up the androtops LOL).

Carney needs a coach to improve his tackling. Without Withers/Woolford in his way I'm sure his involvement will improve and hence his worth to the team.

Zillman is a gun. At any other club he would have been given far more opportunity in FG. He has that ability to create something from nothing and again I'm sure that if he and Carney are given the 6 & 7 roles they will take it upon themselves to increase their involvement. I will never forget the try he scored in PL against Mnaly at Brooky (first game of the season) ... we were a couple of points behind with minutes to go, attacking the line on the last, Zilly chips, regathers, weaves, steps, jumps, cartwheels to score a try and win the game for us. The next day I was hearing Zorba (Peter Peters) on 2KY who sang his praises.

2007 is looking a whole lot better with J.Smith on the sidelines :)

Bay56

First Grade
For one of the first times this season I found myself banging on the sofa when the ref gave us a raw deal ...

.. maybe it was a result of being a live TV game, a real rarity this season, and therefore I did not already know the result .... but nonetheless I felt that fire in the belly again ...

... I have found it extremely hard this season to gather up that enthusiasm ... most of the time I dont even know if we are playing on Sat or Sun (I'm not stupid enough to think it would be Fri night LOL).

Anyway the sight of Carney belting over that FG from 40m out has rekindled the enthusiasm.

The only disadvantage of that victory is that I think Elliott will now try to consolidate and go ultra conservative. That could mean Carney back to PL ... he definitely will not "risk it" with Zilly.

NOW IS THE TIME Elliott to go out with a bang ... give Zillman a chance buddy ... he wont do any worse than Withers ... more likely he'll get us over the line in a close one.

aussies1st

Staff member
Elliott won't change a winning line up, most likely he'll bring back Smith shove Carney on the bench and say good bye to Chalk.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Who is the moron that writes the latch reviews for LU? Every week they get the names wrong, this week, apparently Ashley Graham scored a try. Is it that bloody hard?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Zillman will get his shot, there's no need to rush him in when our backline is performing. Off the bench maybe but if Smith comes back I'd rather see Carney hold a first grade spot rather then bringing Zillman up. The most succesfull teams in recent years keep the same team consistently through out the season. However I think it's time to bring Weyman up and use him in the way Williams is being used.

Bay56

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
Zillman will get his shot, there's no need to rush him in when our backline is performing. Off the bench maybe but if Smith comes back I'd rather see Carney hold a first grade spot rather then bringing Zillman up. The most succesfull teams in recent years keep the same team consistently through out the season. However I think it's time to bring Weyman up and use him in the way Williams is being used.

I agree with your comment WF, re not making changes to a team (hence we should not re-intorduce J.Smith when he returns from injury ;-) ).

Seriously, your comment holds water if the team is consistently playing well. We are about as consistent as a politicians promise come election time.

Zillman would be a worthy inclusion in any NRL side. He would do no worse than Withers and imo would give us that X factor that can mean the difference between a close win and loss.

There are at least 13 games till seasons end ... lets make best use of them for what could be a promising 2007.

Unfortunately Withers is an Elliott favourite and will remain at 6 or 7 while this team remains in Elliotts control.

Chachi

Bench
Personally I'd like to see Zilly off the bench to start with. He'd be dynamic when the opposition is tiring. I hate to pump anyone up so early in his career, but this kid is an absolute freak.

As tight as it is to say, losing Smith for a month is a real blessing for us. All this crap about us being a one man band is total bollocks - our young players are all naturally dynamic and Elliott's reliance on old man Smith just cramps their style. Man, I don't even care if we get a hiding now and again in the process.