What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 17 v Cowboys

Murraymob1

Juniors
Schneider is standing to flat for a slow half get 4 steps deeper his kicking game gets less challenged.our line speed in defence once one the best just does not exist anymore why

The Realist

Juniors
Schieder with a Jekyll and Hyde performance with far more Hyde than Jekyll. Had 3-4 really good kicks that sat nicely in the ingolad area. Followed by kicking into the ingoal on the full and the diabolical effort allowing the Cows 3rd try. Scoring a nice try, vs throwing an interception that everyone on the field, in the stadium and watching on TV saw coming.

I think Ivans luck of plugging reserve grade level halfback into his system and getting them to perform competently in 1st grade has run out. He isn't it.

As others have point out Jack Cole goes OKAY if he has a proper senior half with him. Otherwise the team looks directionless. That's not on him really, he just doesn't have the experience or raw ability to lead this team around at this level yet.

I am NOT a fan of Ivan shifting our middles into makeshift edges. Whilst Henry and Smith did a decent job on the edges, they don't have the speed off the mark or the lateral movement to be threatening on the edge. Goes to show how far off the pace Mav Geyer is that Ivan would rather shift props to the 2nd row rather than play him. The Dragons game should have been the warning sign. Hopefully Ivan learns this time around.

Other than Daine Laurie who honestly had a blinder and Yeo who performed admirably - we were ordinary. Time is starting to catch up with Fish. He is still an excellent prop but we are accustomed to getting top tier (Top 3 or 5) production from him and he just isn't it anymore. Tago whilst he didn't have a particularly bad game needs to pull the finger out. We are paying him $700K+ (Elite centre territory) and he looks blog average out there.

This Roosters game is probably showing the folly of resting players unless you are guaranteed a top 2 spot.

I'd have rested Marto (only because he has been nursing injuries this season) To'o and even Dylan, but I am not sure why we didn't play Luai. Not like he was completely exhausted after Origin. He did less than Mitch Moses and had an extra day of rest.

Just a final note - We need this 4 peat if we are to win another premiership in the next 4 years because in 2025 our cupboard is bare. Losing Fish, Luai and Turuva is just too much quality gone given that our production line is being outstripped by how fast we are losing players.

Kilkenny

Coach
Daine Laurie best on field for us, Alamoti, JFH, Henry and Yeo all played well.

A couple of costly mistakes cost us two tries which was disappointing.

There was no lack of effort, but there was just no cohesion, attacking structure which made the Cowboys job a lot easier. We had enough good field position to do more, but rarely looked like scoring, it was very clunky.

The two debutants all things considered did reasonably well, a couple of handling errors aside.

isaiah

Bench

There was no lack of effort, but there was just no cohesion, attacking structure which made the Cowboys job a lot easier. We had enough good field position to do more, but rarely looked like scoring, it was very clunky.

The two debutants all things considered did reasonably well, a couple of handling errors aside.
No lack of effort?
Couldn’t score vs 12. Shell of the premiership side of 21,22, and 23. Thanks, salary cap. Had to kick in eventually.

The Realist

Juniors

We also did a bunch of truly stupid shit that led to relieving penalties. Coupled with the dropped ball and we had no chance of applying any consistant pressure. Sorenson was particularly awful in that regard.

Mitch Kenny was also unusually shitty today. A bunch of his passes were way off the mark and his options lacking. Looked very much like a reserve grade/makeshift hooker out there tonight with the ball which was odd considering his on the ball work has improved significantly this year. Lets hope it was just a one off, off game for him.

Kilkenny

Coach
We also did a bunch of truly stupid shit that led to relieving penalties. Coupled with the dropped ball and we had no chance of applying any consistant pressure. Sorenson was particularly awful in that regard.

Mitch Kenny was also unusually shitty today. A bunch of his passes were way off the mark and his options lacking. Looked very much like a reserve grade/makeshift hooker out there tonight with the ball which was odd considering his on the ball work has improved significantly this year. Lets hope it was just a one off, off game for him.
I don’t disagree our own mistakes, some of which were on the first tackle, was not good enough. We shot ourselves in the foot and ultimately got what we deserved, but it certainly wasn’t a lack of effort, not from what I saw at the ground. We just weren’t good enough, no point savaging this player or that player, they capitalised on our mistakes, defended well and in the end deserved there win.

Panther Mike

Juniors
Poor performance and pretty miserable conditions to sit through on the hill live today.

The halves were useless and so was the team generally in the wet weather. Not having the Origin players didn’t help but Cowboys didn’t have any at all backing up and still handled the wet weather much better.

I’m worried for next year if Nathan gets injured again because a Cole-Schneider halves pairing won’t win first grade games!
I’m also tired of Tago and even Turuva needs a big wake up call based on some his recent performances.

Kilkenny

Coach
The one thing I will say, as a criticism, not for the first time this season, is our lack of support play. Again today, Yeo, JFH strong Carrie’s, poked their nose through the line with literally no one to pass to if they saw an opportunity to off load. A couple of other half line breaks but movement ended with the ball carrier. I guess that’s perhaps where we miss Dylan, he is the one player who always seems to make himself available in those situations. Can’t blame Daine, with his workload today, he worked tirelessly.

martielang

Bench
FFS some of you blokes are beyond over dramatic. Walls are hardly caving in, we lost a 50/50 game given the outs. Cows defended brilliantly and deserved the win.

Laurie and Fish were outstanding.

Schneider wasn’t great but there was also a fair few mitigating circumstances. Had a few kicks where if we chased with the same intent that he did, his game would’ve looked a look different/better also. Strange choice of scapegoat imo when a few of our senior players weren’t at the races.

Fangs

Coach
The one thing I will say, as a criticism, not for the first time this season, is our lack of support play. Again today, Yeo, JFH strong Carrie’s, poked their nose through the line with literally no one to pass to if they saw an opportunity to off load. A couple of other half line breaks but movement ended with the ball carrier. I guess that’s perhaps where we miss Dylan, he is the one player who always seems to make himself available in those situations. Can’t blame Daine, with his workload today, he worked tirelessly.

Noticeable in the red zone too. One going to the line instead of two.

We should have scored more points near the sticks. They looked vulnerable there.

Kilkenny

Coach
Noticeable in the red zone too. One going to the line instead of two.

We should have scored more points near the sticks. They looked vulnerable there.
Bit too side to side, there line speed when we were in there 20, made it difficult for us. That’s where we missed Jerome, even when he skips sideways, he is still a threat puts the defence in two minds. Missed his deft kicks as well, not that we get the ball back from line drop outs too often.