What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 17 v Cowboys

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I didn’t think it was that bad a performance.

Our halves had a stinker, they never took control and our attack suffered.

on the plus side.

I thought our forwards looked quite good. Henry and smith are coming along nicely.

Laurie has to be our 6 next year I think, he looks deadly. Not because I don’t like Cole, I just think Laurie is better.

I understand the Tago hate, but I think our halves are contributing to this. If he’s still struggling when Nath and Romey are back, I’ll listen.

shit happens guys, onto the next one.

Kilkenny

Coach
I didn’t think it was that bad a performance.

Our halves had a stinker, they never took control and our attack suffered.

on the plus side.

I thought our forwards looked quite good. Henry and smith are coming along nicely.

Laurie has to be our 6 next year I think, he looks deadly. Not because I don’t like Cole, I just think Laurie is better.

I understand the Tago hate, but I think our halves are contributing to this. If he’s still struggling when Nath and Romey are back, I’ll listen.

shit happens guys, onto the next one.
In respect of the halves, at least one of your 6 or 7, has to offer something in attack, threaten the line, put the defence in two minds, so on that basis alone, Laurie should be six in games where Laui is unavailable. Not a knock on Jack Cole, very solid defensively, but in attack I’m just not sure he provides enough at this point in time.

The one thing I will say, as a criticism, not for the first time this season, is our lack of support play. Again today, Yeo, JFH strong Carrie’s, poked their nose through the line with literally no one to pass to if they saw an opportunity to off load. A couple of other half line breaks but movement ended with the ball carrier. I guess that’s perhaps where we miss Dylan, he is the one player who always seems to make himself available in those situations. Can’t blame Daine, with his workload today, he worked tirelessly.
Agreed, and to be fair to Laurie it was often him threatening the line with blokes like Turuva nowhere to be seen.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
In respect of the halves, at least one of your 6 or 7, has to offer something in attack, threaten the line, put the defence in two minds, so on that basis alone, Laurie should be six in games where Laui is unavailable. Not a knock on Jack Cole, very solid defensively, but in attack I’m just not sure he provides enough at this point in time.
Laurie has always been my pick to replace Luai. Hence the avatar

maple_69

Bench
Dud game, looked completely lost without Cleary/Luai/Edwards. Oh well, we suck in the rain and we have just lost too much talent from that second tier of players to deal without our best 5 or so. Agree with others the lack of real edges did not help. Having Ice, Martin, Garner and Sorenson as options next year will be handy.

Patea looks like what we need from the bench and McLean looked at home, is gonna be a bloody good player, potentially from next year.

Straight up time for Tago to be dropped, Id rather Garner, Cole and McLean there right now. Tago needs time to get his confidence back in NSW Cup.

Hopefully we’re just Cleary short of full strength next week and we can put the Broncs in a serious hole.

Kilkenny

Coach
Going back through the posts made during the game, just after the game ended, I think suggestions Alamoti wasn’t that good were very unfair. I thought at the game he was very good, made a lot of tough Carrie’s, made good metres and other than the one mistake, albeit huge losing it on the 1st from the line drop out I thought he had a really good game.

Kilkenny

Coach
Amongst all this doom and gloom I have been waiting for someone to step up and recognise Casey McLean for running down Scott Drinkwater but then I remembered Eddie Blacker ran him down too in Townsville in his sole NRL appearance for us. So no big deal I guess.

Ceprahs

Juniors
Cole is fine. Anyone saying he's an issue has low footy I.Q.
Been around football a long time and far from being a good judge, but jesus you jump to personal insults quick, actually shows your own overall IQ.

I may a little harsh on Cole, however, around Orange it is 50/50, some think he is the next big thing, and others think he is overrated and been kissed on the dick to get where he is and in any other team or system, he wouldn't make it. At this stage clearly, I am in the latter group and think we need better to keep our momentum going.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Been around football a long time and far from being a good judge, but jesus you jump to personal insults quick, actually shows your own overall IQ.

I may a little harsh on Cole, however, around Orange it is 50/50, some think he is the next big thing, and others think he is overrated and been kissed on the dick to get where he is and in any other team or system, he wouldn't make it. At this stage clearly, I am in the latter group and think we need better to keep our momentum going.
Around Orange?
As in that small country town?

Kilkenny

Coach

I’m not one to criticise our players, I don’t like it, particularly when it becomes vindictive or personal or destructive call it what you want I guess.

I’ve watched a fair bit of Jack CoLe since he came from the Central West and I tend to agree with you in so much there are doubts about whether he is NRL quality On a long term basis or a back up who can fill in when required.

The one thing I will say he will not become a viable option at NRL level as a centre. He simply isn’t a big enough body and lacks the explosiveness to be a centre. He doesn't Possess the skill set required to be a quality NRL centre, not a criticism that’s just the reality.

He is young, very good defensively, has a kicking game, not elite kicking game but adequate, and his future is as a 5/8. I’m not writing him off, he is getting great experience and will continue to improve. Whether he is quite up to NRL level we will probably no more after 2025.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Yep, he comes from Orange, Henry from Blayney just outside of Orange.

Yeah I know, but I’m not sure that qualifies the town folks as good judges.

The fact he’s made it this far shows how talented he is and how hard he must have worked.

He’s come through the most competitive Jnr system in Australia and is Playing NRL.

Surely 100% of Orange must see that..