What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd. 17 v Cowboys

Ceprahs

Juniors
I wasn’t being a smart arse at all.

Just pointing out facts and putting opinions aside. A player doesn’t get to where he is, without being excellent. His performance speaks for its self.

People seem to struggle with how elite our program is.

Cole has all the attributes it takes to be an excellent NRL level half, he just needs to stay healthy and continue listening to his coaches.
Well, I can assure you that people from small country towns know enough about league to make up their own minds and are not simply locked into their local competitions.

It's not exactly a secret that the panthers have a great system, and we produce a lot of talent across the NRL. We also have a lot within the system that just don't quiet make the jump to NRL level, although that doesn't mean they are not talented as clearly you don't get there without it, however, only time decides which way things go, and I am happy to be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

He has strong points especially his defence, he will put in the work and offers versatility. I also think he fits better as 14, but with Toelau coming into the mix, I am liking the way he has handled the step up so far. Great to have competition for spots and hopefully we keep getting the combination right.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Thanks ivan you cost us 2pts that we would never have lost today if we played our full strength team.Im sorry but Jack Cole is not the answer we need to buy a 5/8 next yr.Rubbish performance they had 12 men twice and we couldn't score.
You sound like Chin the Win. Give the kid a FAIR go he is only a rookie playing in a badly beaten side

Iamback

Coach
Well, I can assure you that people from small country towns know enough about league to make up their own minds and are not simply locked into their local competitions.

It's not exactly a secret that the panthers have a great system, and we produce a lot of talent across the NRL. We also have a lot within the system that just don't quiet make the jump to NRL level, although that doesn't mean they are not talented as clearly you don't get there without it, however, only time decides which way things go, and I am happy to be wrong, wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

He has strong points especially his defence, he will put in the work and offers versatility. I also think he fits better as 14, but with Toelau coming into the mix, I am liking the way he has handled the step up so far. Great to have competition for spots and hopefully we keep getting the combination right.

For some on here what the club does can never be doubted.

That poster you replied to is one.

You are correct to have doubts, Personally I rate Cole but as you said he is a rookie and maybe centre is his position.

Considering he is yet to play with Cleary the styles might be too similar

WestyLife

First Grade

You are correct to have doubts, Personally I rate Cole but as you said he is a rookie and maybe centre is his position.

I think that's a bit unfair on Luke there.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

I’m not having a go at Orange, or its people.

I’m simply saying that their opinions or points of view, don’t line up with what’s occurring. He’s made it to the NRL, he’s an elite defender and has plenty of potential in attack. You don’t get there by being kissed on the dick…. It just doesn’t happen at our club.

soc123_au

Staff member

I’m simply saying that their opinions or points of view, don’t line up with what’s occurring. He’s made it to the NRL, he’s an elite defender and has plenty of potential in attack. You don’t get there by being kissed on the dick…. It just doesn’t happen at our club.
Well, we all saw Tyrones video a few years ago..

I'll see myself out.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Trust me, I can talk for days on mistakes I think this club has made.

But Cole has the runs on the board and other than injuries, has given no reason to doubt him.

snickers007

Juniors

I've been involved in Group 10 football for 25 years and I continue to be amazed at which players from this region crack the NRL, and even more so those that excel at that level.

Guys like Dan Mortimer and Will Kennedy were run of the mill footballers all throughout their juniors. Probably only got a second glance because of their surnames. And that's all they needed - a second chance, or a bit more time to impress. And then it snowballs.

Harry Seijka was an incredible talent. He played up 2 years all throughout juniors to play alongside his brother Sterling - and dominated everything. I saw him play 3 junior grand finals on the same day (Under 14's, 15's and 16's). Played halfback and won all 3. MOTM for 2. Just amazing. But his body let him down, and he was NRL ready when we had a coach who probably didn't quite know how to best use him.

Jack Wighton was always a talent - but the question was always whether he could escape his off-field and home life. Josh Jackson wasn't in the top 5 players from Mudgee/Gulgong in his age group - yet he could tackle a bear. George Rose was always good as a kid - but he was also twice everyone's size until 16's, so it was easy for him.

And there are countless others who have had the talent, but missed their shot for one reason or another. Guys like Jake Betts and Harrison Muller probably got picked up by the wrong clubs at SG Ball level. Doug Hewitt and Jacob Neill both excelled at U20s level, but couldn't make the step up for whatever reason.

And probably the best footballer I've seen come out of Orange was Jace Delaney. He was another one who would play Under 18s, Reserves and First Grade on the same day - and was often best on ground in all 3 games. He moved to Newcastle for uni after school and prioritised his studies instead of football. FYI, he's now the Boston Celtics Director of Sports Science. Smart, great athlete, and real nice guy too.

The point is, there are way too many variables to accurately pick which kids running around in junior football are going to make the NRL. There is also a lot of tall poppy syndrome in country areas.

It's likely Jack Cole wasn't a standout coming through. But you don't win NSW Under 18's player of the season out of luck, nor do you beat guys like Schneider or Laurie to the vacant #6 jersey.
The Panthers football machine is obviously helping him along, especially in terms of his nutrition and bulking up etc.

For what it's worth, when I read in the local newspaper that Panthers had signed Jack Cole from Orange, my first thought was "who?". So yeah, it's impossible to pick.

WestyLife

First Grade
I've been involved in Group 10 football for 25 years and I continue to be amazed at which players from this region crack the NRL, and even more so those that excel at that level.

Guys like Dan Mortimer and Will Kennedy were run of the mill footballers all throughout their juniors. Probably only got a second glance because of their surnames. And that's all they needed - a second chance, or a bit more time to impress. And then it snowballs.

Harry Seijka was an incredible talent. He played up 2 years all throughout juniors to play alongside his brother Sterling - and dominated everything. I saw him play 3 junior grand finals on the same day (Under 14's, 15's and 16's). Played halfback and won all 3. MOTM for 2. Just amazing. But his body let him down, and he was NRL ready when we had a coach who probably didn't quite know how to best use him.

Jack Wighton was always a talent - but the question was always whether he could escape his off-field and home life. Josh Jackson wasn't in the top 5 players from Mudgee/Gulgong in his age group - yet he could tackle a bear. George Rose was always good as a kid - but he was also twice everyone's size until 16's, so it was easy for him.

And there are countless others who have had the talent, but missed their shot for one reason or another. Guys like Jake Betts and Harrison Muller probably got picked up by the wrong clubs at SG Ball level. Doug Hewitt and Jacob Neill both excelled at U20s level, but couldn't make the step up for whatever reason.

And probably the best footballer I've seen come out of Orange was Jace Delaney. He was another one who would play Under 18s, Reserves and First Grade on the same day - and was often best on ground in all 3 games. He moved to Newcastle for uni after school and prioritised his studies instead of football. FYI, he's now the Boston Celtics Director of Sports Science. Smart, great athlete, and real nice guy too.

The point is, there are way too many variables to accurately pick which kids running around in junior football are going to make the NRL. There is also a lot of tall poppy syndrome in country areas.

It's likely Jack Cole wasn't a standout coming through. But you don't win NSW Under 18's player of the season out of luck, nor do you beat guys like Schneider or Laurie to the vacant #6 jersey.
The Panthers football machine is obviously helping him along, especially in terms of his nutrition and bulking up etc.

For what it's worth, when I read in the local newspaper that Panthers had signed Jack Cole from Orange, my first thought was "who?". So yeah, it's impossible to pick.

Love the personal insights people involved can provide.

Ceprahs

Juniors

In your opinion mate, we all have them and happy for you to have yours. As for runs on the board, he is practically brand new at NRL level, so far, the sample size not enough to gauge. The runs he has on the board so far have got him in front of others, and it may well be an Ivan master stroke, who knows.

I agree with Iamback, I would like to see him get a go beside Cleary to see how they operate as a combination as this is a team sport after all and if he keeps the club successful, I will join your cheer squad.

As for your facts they sound more like your opinion.

Ceprahs

Juniors

Good post and totally agree, the game is full of surprises.