What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD 25: Non Parra games

Noise

Coach
Did anyone else get the impression that there were a couple of times during last night's game when refs would normally pack a scrum from a knock on but instead chose to just let it go and give the zero tackle?

I just got the feeling that maybe it was deliberately done to keep the game going instead of forcing a stoppage for a scrum. Anyone else?

I noticed it twice. Even though the team lost ground they made them play the zero tackle. I don't know whether it was a deliberate thing as the refs lost control last night and didn't know what was going on. We have scored some tries off scrims in the attacking zone so I think I'd prefer the scrum.

Chipmunk

Coach
Good entertaining game Raiders v Tigers so far, but I guess neither team has too much to play for so you can expect them to throw it around a bit.

Looking forward to the Roosters v Storm clash, should be a cracker to see a couple of real top 8 team go around.

phantom eel

First Grade
With Ben Roberts still their first grade 5/8? Roosters are on a roll and almost full strength, can't see them losing this one.

Chipmunk

Coach
High Quality game from both teams so far, given the atrocious conditions.

Both these teams are along way ahead of where we are. I can see them both going deep into the Final series, if not even meeting on Grand Final day.

phantom eel

First Grade
And that's the game.

Storm to recover and give the Broncos a thumping next Friday :).

And if we do scrape in the finals (and have to face the Storm in Melbourne) we'll be roadkill.

Chipmunk

Coach
Again high quality game with both teams in the conditions just happy to grind away and wait for their opponent to make an error.

I'm not sure the Storm can win the comp this year, they will go close though. The Big 3 are great, but they have some ordinary players in their squad that I am not sure the Big 3 can carry all by themselves.

Last edited:

Sterling

Juniors
And that's the game.

Storm to recover and give the Broncos a thumping next Friday :).

And if we do scrape in the finals (and have to face the Storm in Melbourne) we'll be roadkill.

Depends on the cowboys. If they win their next 2 they will finish 5th and we meet them up north. Either way its a tough ask aswell. But you never know with the eels ...

Chipmunk

Coach
Depends on the cowboys. If they win their next 2 they will finish 5th and we meet them up north. Either way its a tough ask aswell. But you never know with the eels ...

Our hypothetical opposition in the first week of the finals is the least of our worries at this point in time.

I doubt we will give too many teams in the Top 8 too much trouble in the first week. From what I have seen of either team in the last few weeks I'd actually expect a 30 plus loss from either the Cowboys in Townsville or the Storm in Melbourne. We will do well just to make the Top 8 from here and I think we can be happy with that over achievement if it comes about.

The team is talented enough to beat any other on any given day. They're also pretty dumb. And mistake prone. I don't even want to contemplate finals, although a cursory glance suggests they're roughly a 50/50 chance of making them.

Chipmunk

Coach
The team is talented enough to beat any other on any given day. They're also pretty dumb. And mistake prone. I don't even want to contemplate finals, although a cursory glance suggests they're roughly a 50/50 chance of making them.

They are, but you could argue that any team in the NRL has the talent to beat any other on their day...

I think if any of the teams currently in the Top 8, turn up and play their best football and we turn up and play our best, that wouldn't beat them. So realistically, we need our opponents to turn up and not be at the best for us to be any chance. But at the end of the day, that's essentially what happened in the 2009 Final Series and how we got to a Grand Final

They are, but you could argue that any team in the NRL has the talent to beat any other on their day...

I think if any of the teams currently in the Top 8, turn up and play their best football and we turn up and play our best, that wouldn't beat them. So realistically, we need our opponents to turn up and not be at the best for us to be any chance. But at the end of the day, that's essentially what happened in the 2009 Final Series and how we got to a Grand Final

I disagree. I think we were weaker in 2009. I think our potential now is greater. We still have Hayne, who is as good as he was then, but a stronger team around him. We probably won't make the GF, but the potential is there.

Chipmunk

Coach
I disagree. I think we were weaker in 2009. I think our potential now is greater. We still have Hayne, who is as good as he was then, but a stronger team around him. We probably won't make the GF, but the potential is there.

Potential going forward for future years yes, but not potential for 2014 season. Our 2009 team was under achieving until it went on its run. I think you underestimate the level players like Fui, Cayless, Ben Smith and Hindy were back in 2009 compared to the current squad of players. Plus throw in the likes of Mateo at his prime and the experience of Joe Gulavao. Yes this team has plenty of potential, but they have alot of inexperience too.

Last edited:
Potential going forward for future years yes, but not potential for 2014 season. Our 2009 team was under achieving until it went on its run. I think you underestimate the level players like Fui, Cayless, Ben Smith and Hindy were back in 2009 compared to the current squad of players. Plus throw in the likes of Mateo at his prime and the experience of Joe Gulavao. Yes this team has plenty of potential, but they have alot of inexperience too.

You might be right. But I always considered Cayless a plodder. At any rate, he was always close to his potential, which was average. Smith is wrecked now, but was never heaps better. Fui always gives his all, tho his potential wasn't hugely greater in '09 - he's the same type of player now, just older. Hindy was definitely on the downslide. Mateo I will give you, very hit and miss but far greater potential than Paulo. Gulavoa was a solid, experienced player we could do with today, but his potential wasn't great. I still think that there's far more talent in this team than there was in the '09 side.

In my mind, with Moeroa, Edwards, Mau, Paulo, Mannah, Gower, even Pauli, the forwards have far more strike power, and the combo of Norman/Sandow, as shit as Norman may be, is better than Robson/Mortimer. And our backs are at least as good.

Chipmunk

Coach
You might be right. But I always considered Cayless a plodder. At any rate, he was always close to his potential, which was average. Smith is wrecked now, but was never heaps better. Fui always gives his all, tho his potential wasn't hugely greater in '09 - he's the same type of player now, just older. Hindy was definitely on the downslide. Mateo I will give you, very hit and miss but far greater potential than Paulo. Gulavoa was a solid, experienced player we could do with today, but his potential wasn't great. I still think that there's far more talent in this team than there was in the '09 side.

In my mind, with Moeroa, Edwards, Mau, Paulo, Mannah, Gower, even Pauli, the forwards have far more strike power, and the combo of Norman/Sandow, as shit as Norman may be, is better than Robson/Mortimer. And our backs are at least as good.

They didn't show too much potential today against a team running 3rd last with little to play for, who had half their forward pack missing. They got pumped 42-12

In Rd 25 in 2009 we played another team capable of making the Top 8 at the time in Penrith, we spanked them 48-6...

I think you underestimate the team of players in 2009 and the form they were in at the time.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The '09 team had plenty of stars: Hayne, Inu, Grothe, Moimoi, Hindmarsh and Mateo. Plus quality first graders in Reddy, Cayless, Smith, Kingston and Galuvao. And then half a dozen plodders. The team was big on stars and big on plodders.

This year's side probably has less plodders but also heaps less stars. Hayne, obviously, but then only Sandow and maybe Hopoate are even close to being considered stars. A couple of the young forwards (Paulo, Moeroa) will probably be stars in the future but they aren't right now.

Latest posts