What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd 25

~knights~

Juniors
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/nrl-faces-last-round-scheduling-headache/20075906-rtr.html

NRL faces last round scheduling headache

The NRL is set to play Russian roulette with at least one club's premiership hopes with Tuesday's announcement of the schedule for the final round of the regular season.

The closeness of this year's race for the finals has left the NRL with a massive headache as it attempts to find a suitable game to be played on the Monday night of the final round.

The selection could have a huge impact on the finals given teams which finish fourth and fifth are locked in to open the finals series on the following Friday night, just four days later.

The NRL is desperate to avoid having a team back up in such a short space of time, but with just six competition points separating teams North Queensland in fourth and Newcastle in 14th, that could be easier said than done.

The NRL aren't the only ones who dictate the scheduling of matches with host broadcasters - the Nine Network and Fox Sports - also having a say in when games are played.

"Until we start discussions with the host broadcasters tomorrow it's impossible to speculate on how it might go," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

"There's a process we go through where the Friday night games are chosen first (by the Nine Network) and it's a matter of what's left over after that.

"We're very aware of avoiding the potential clash with the two Monday night teams playing the following Friday night.

"There's some games that are going to be less likely to feature in the fourth versus fifth category, but we just have to go through that process with the broadcasters tomorrow."

Given the difficulties teams have had backing up after Monday night games this season, the scheduling threatens to have an enormous impact of the finals.

Of the round 25 matches on offer, the only games guaranteed not to be on the Friday night are Parramatta v Brisbane and Manly v St George Illawarra, due to Parramatta playing the Dragons on the previous Monday night.

Both games are glamour match-ups involving teams that are likely to feature in the finals, meaning they are candidates to be played on the final Monday night of the regular season.

The only team definitely not involved in the finals is Penrith, but their final round game is against the New Zealand Warriors who currently hold down fifth spot.

It is believed Fox Sports, which selects the Monday night game immediately after the Friday night games have been picked, is keen to have a big game for their final Monday night contest.

_Johnsy

Referee
~knights~ said:
Of the round 25 matches on offer, the only games guaranteed not to be on the Friday night are Parramatta v Brisbane and Manly v St George Illawarra, due to Parramatta playing the Dragons on the previous Monday night.

Both games are glamour match-ups involving teams that are likely to feature in the finals, meaning they are candidates to be played on the final Monday night of the regular season.

Yeah we are likely to make the 8 :lol: :lol:

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Shakrs vs Raiders for MNF...that will be a nothing game IMO. But you could put Souths VS Roosters as it MIGHT be the battle for 8th and they would play on Sunday anyways.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fifth MNF for Melbourne.

Manly v Saints?

I am planning to go to the Tigers vs Knights game at Telstra, hopefully they don't move that to Monday otherwise I won't be able to go:(

I was just thinking if the Warriors finish 4th and have a game at home for the Friday night qualifying final, channel 9 would be unable to show it live. If they showed it live here at 7:30 that would be a 9:30 kickoff over there which is surely too late and the wouldn't show it here live at 6:30 as the news is on, 5:30?? too early?

humpy

Juniors
I agree. Either the Roosters v Vermin, or the Storm v Titans.

I am hoping for the Roosters to play on the Monday as I am going away for the weekend, but that could even end up being one of the Friday night games (local derby, possibility of this being the game for 8th place).

humpy

Juniors
Other option is for a compromise between Fox & 9.

At the moment, ( get the first 2 choices, and Fox get the 3rd choice for Monday night.

Let 9 have first choice, and Fox have 2nd choice to play Sunday 2pm, and then the also ran game of Raiders v Sharks can be the MNF game, as the best that can come from there is 8th place which is the sunday game anyway.

Of course this means 9 & Fox actually taking compromise which is highly unlikely.

Timmah

Staff member
knights_06premiers said:
I am planning to go to the Tigers vs Knights game at Telstra, hopefully they don't move that to Monday otherwise I won't be able to go:(

I was just thinking if the Warriors finish 4th and have a game at home for the Friday night qualifying final, channel 9 would be unable to show it live. If they showed it live here at 7:30 that would be a 9:30 kickoff over there which is surely too late and the wouldn't show it here live at 6:30 as the news is on, 5:30?? too early?

In normal places (i.e. not Newcastle) the news is only 30 minutes. 6:30 (8:30 NZT) would be the most likely.

Tigers v Knights won't be MNF, Tigers are a likely candidate for 4th or 5th position.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Preniers said:
why dont they just play it on a sunday night with it to be covered on fox?

I reckon that would be the Best solution, Imagine the crowd that would turn up to say Rabbits / Roosters @ Telstra for their grudge match with the winner to get into the 8 and the loser missing out in the Last premiership match on the sunday night

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Timmah said:
In normal places (i.e. not Newcastle) the news is only 30 minutes. 6:30 (8:30 NZT) would be the most likely.

Tigers v Knights won't be MNF, Tigers are a likely candidate for 4th or 5th position.
It better fugging not be :evil:

I thought the Knights would play on the Sunday originally, but with the Jets playing at EAS where the buses will be leaving (all one of them) on Sunday at 5pm, then I think the smart thing would be to play it on Saturday night. But then again, it is the NRL we're talking about here

gong_eagle

First Grade
Wasn't something said at the start of the year that all clubs would only play 2 home monday night games if so the list from the other thread

MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL APPEARANCES 2007

Five
Knights - 2 Home, 3 Away
Cronulla - 2 Home, 3 Away
Eels - 2 Home, 3 Away

Four
Cowboys - 1 Home, 3 Away

Three
Canberra - 2 Home, 1 Away
Roosters - 1 Home, 2 Away
Broncos - 2 Home, 1 Away
Tigers - 2 Home, 1 Away
Storm - 2 Home, 1 Away
Souths - 1 Home, 2 Away
Dragons - 2 Home, 1 Away

Two
Bulldogs - 1 Home, 1 Away
Titans - 2 Home
Manly - 1 Home, 1 Away

One
Warriors - 1 Away
Penrith - 1 Home

So if they stick to that then the games that will be MNF game
Cowboys V Bulldogs
Panthers V Warriors
Rabbits V Roosters
Manly v Dragons

Timmah

Staff member
It's not possible for each club to play only 2 MNF. 25 rounds, 15 teams, some teams will have more.

Christ some people are simple :crazy:

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Titans vs Melbourne would be the best. Melbourne are gonna finish first or second and even if the Titans make they eight i dont think its possible for them to finish 4th or 5th.

skeepe

Immortal
Timmah said:
It's not possible for each club to play only 2 MNF. 25 rounds, 15 teams, some teams will have more.

Christ some people are simple :crazy:

Take a look in the mirror. He said home MNF matches you simpleton. And he is quite correct, as of round 24 the most any team has played at home is 2.

Latest posts