What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RD 4: Eels v Tigs - Game Day Thread

Eel2reel

Juniors
Seriously if may seem now but we finished 4th last year so what recruitment could we do? It's not like we could sack anyone, fans would be in an uproar (which doesn't mean much) as we finished 4th, but there didn't seem like we needed a massive recruitment campaign either!! On the balance, we added some potential quality within our cap capacity.

Everything is good in hindsight, but BA his brains trust did the best they could. We added a back to replace semi plus a prop to add to our rotation. And gave T-Rex a chance.

Really what would you have done? Who would have sacked ? Signed? For this year?

Now leading into next year is where they should be judged!!
Exactly mate. The squad last year looked like it just needed a couple of additions to really step up. And it appeared that we addressed the issues we had with Kane and hayne. There is something else going on.... im starting to really think there is something in the afl trainer stuff. We are not getting into position quick enuff and it's leading to penalties. That said, some if the penalties were a joke and reeked of 4-5 years ago when we were absymal l and were reffed as such.

Noise

Coach
I think we lack leadership/senior players, possibly because of the salary cap TPA stuff and a focus on depth. Moses is too young and new, Norman's a goof, Timmy's too nice, our hookers and fullbacks are not great...

Agreed. You would think in his 5th year a coach might recognize this lack of leadership

Chipmunk

Coach
An assistant can’t help us. Shit had to be sorted in the off season. What the f**k have they been doing in the off season?

Like every other club we were clueless at the start of the season about the changes in the interpretation of the rules. The changes in interpretation were in the exact areas that helped us be successful last season. Unfortunately, at this stage, and unless we're able to adapt and find something else, then we're f**ked.

strider

Post Whore
I have already said from round 1 I would have kept Jennings on the right, Hayne at fullback , French at wing, not signed Evans. Gone after either of:
McLean, packer, matalino, graham (and remember pou reckon origin player Napa is on less than 500k and we signed Evans for 350-400k so we prob could have afforded one of them). That would be a start.
Depending on who you believe, we tried for mclean and napa

And hayne is shit, so i wouldnt hang my reputation on him saving our bacon

Avenger

Immortal
Isn't that what you were calling for 3 weeks ago? Sack BA and replace him with Des.

You gone cold on Des?

No. I'd take Hasler or Toovey in a millisecond. Actually, I'd take both. One as the head and the other as an assistant.

Or

I'd take Jim Dymock and offer Brian Smith a Coaching Director's role. We need to fix everything about our club in football terms.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I have already said from round 1 I would have kept Jennings on the right, Hayne at fullback , French at wing, not signed Evans. Gone after either of:
McLean, packer, matalino, graham (and remember pou reckon origin player Napa is on less than 500k and we signed Evans for 350-400k so we prob could have afforded one of them). That would be a start.

McLean is a bit overrated, I believe Napa is a dick so I think that's why we are no longer interested.

I would have chased Graham 100% but suspected BA was looking for a particular body shape. Also I know some will definitely disagree but I will have also looked at Farrah - I think BA could control his personality. We need some leadership and Farrah/graham offer that with limited cap space.

The others are positional changes so may or may not have made a difference.

I think moeroa should be starting and brown playing the whole game.

Noise

Coach
That wouldn't have helped at all.

Why not? What are you basing that on? We have a good success rate with French on the wing. Jennings on the right was outstanding last year. Evans has been gash this year and the other forwards I mentioned have been good.

Eelogical

Referee
er
a better second half at least

A long way to go Twizz, but we do love shooting ourselves in the foot for long expanses in each game. From what I've seen this season so far doesn't fill me with joy, but there's no surprise in that statement. Competing for short periods in a game before folding or just not showing up at all are real concerns going forward. From here the drums will start beating louder and the pressure will get higher - it's what us Eels supporters do better than any other teams supporters. For the moment, let's keep the faith.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No. I'd take Hasler or Toovey in a millisecond. Actually, I'd take both. One as the head and the other as an assistant.

Or

I'd take Jim Dymock and offer Brian Smith a Coaching Director's role. We need to fix everything about our club in football terms.
Brian Smith? You're on drugs.

Noise

Coach
McLean is a bit overrated, I believe Napa is a dick so I think that's why we are no longer interested.

I would have chased Graham 100% but suspected BA was looking for a particular body shape. Also I know some will definitely disagree but I will have also looked at Farrah - I think BA could control his personality. We need some leadership.

The others are positional changes so may or may not have made a difference.

I think moeroa should be starting and brown playing the whole game.

Would also take Farrah. He is a much better option in both attack and defence than our 9s

Agreed. You would think in his 5th year a coach might recognize this lack of leadership
It's not always something that can just be bought though, especially for us post TPAs. We did try it with Foran though. And I reckon BA banked on some players becoming leaders, but they haven't.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A long way to go Twizz, but we do love shooting ourselves in the foot for long expanses in each game. From what I've seen this season so far doesn't fill me with joy, but there's no surprise in that statement. Competing for short periods in a game before folding or just not showing up at all are real concerns going forward. From here the drums will start beating louder and the pressure will get higher - it's what us Eels supports do better than any other teams supporters. For the moment, let's keep the faith.

exactly, I dont believe in all this death riding that some seem to love

We did OK when we had the ball in the second half but our possession was low due to our own fault and some blatant mistakes from the refs and the refs are one thing we cant control

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
What the other side putting the Cue in the Rack and Parramatta scoring late Tries, somehow covers over the problems the team has currently?
Of course not. Only a f**ken idiot would think that or think that others would think that.

So why would you deprive fans of the only slight bit of enjoyment that might have had all year, you miserable merkin?

Latest posts