What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd10: Eels v Roosters GAME DAY THREAD @ Suncorp 15/5/22

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The only good bit of news out of yesterdays shit show is that Dylan Brown has not been charged. Knowing our luck I was expecting 4 weeks with an early guilty plea.

Further proof that the penalty was bullshit and the cat laid down.

All of the camera angles, how does the bunker determine the tackle was high when angle was obscure by the posts?

I'm surprised the bunker didnt judge high tackles based on that ridiculous spider cam

hindy111

Post Whore
They won by seven and all the stats were even. When one team dominates it's reflected on the stats and the scoreboard.

They always looked better. We had some great individual tries but rarely stretched them when in the red zone. We look like chooks with head cut off when attack their line.
Not much fluency. Our defense is also very soft which is worrying. Capable of beating the best and losing to the worse suggests to me a lot of players are on decline and unable to get motivated for every game. It may not be physical decline but mental. Either way I am not convinced we will improve as season goes on. Our best hope is make the 8 and keep our fingers crossed all the luck goes our way

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Sack BA for an untried rookie? LOL

What makes you think Ciraldo is the answer? The bloke has never coached first grade. Or is it because its a "New voice" all of a sudden we will get some consistency and over achieve? Even though Ciraldo will have the same players and resources at his disposal that BA has had?

The risks of inputing an untried rookie coach far outweigh any positives that will come from it.

Unless of course we improve recruitment and resources throughout the organisation. Which in itself is a slow process.

Quick fixes and irrational decisions do not work.
Adam O’Brien, Trent Barrett………

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Capable of beating the best and losing to the worse suggests to me a lot of players are on decline and unable to get motivated for every game.
The Roosters lost to the worst but won both their matches against top six teams. It's hard to be motivated every week, especially early in the year. It's pointless judging on single games.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
We play the Tigers with origin players missing. Other two games we have bye or its a stand alone rnd.

We have two game after origin backing up. Against Dogs on the Monday which is 5 days and Warriors at home 2 days later.
Pretty soft origin period for us and should win all 3.

I hope they do but these "should win" games scare me. Just like going into the Tigers game a few weeks back.

TheRam

Coach
Sack BA for an untried rookie? LOL

What makes you think Ciraldo is the answer? The bloke has never coached first grade. Or is it because its a "New voice" all of a sudden we will get some consistency and over achieve? Even though Ciraldo will have the same players and resources at his disposal that BA has had?

The risks of inputing an untried rookie coach far outweigh any positives that will come from it.

Unless of course we improve recruitment and resources throughout the organisation. Which in itself is a slow process.

Quick fixes and irrational decisions do not work.

Yep!

I've had a gutful. We aren't going to win anything with this guy in charge so why waste more time. Ciraldo should be given a chance. All the other coaches that are experienced and available don't get me excited enough to give them a go. So I would do a Sheens/Ciraldo combo as I have written before or a Ciraldo on his own if Sheens isn't available.

emjaycee

Coach
Let me see if I have this right.
We are trailing by 5 with 7 mins to go and Drown effects a perfectly legal tackle giving us possession.
No one at the ground, including the officials see anything wrong with the tackle and the Bunker watch review after review after review while the Roosters player is being treated and after 2 mins decide that Drown's tackle must have been dangerous and so he goes on report. Roosters get a simple penalty nearly in front and go out to a 7 point lead with less than 6 mins to play. Now we need to score twice to win and momentum is with the Roosters. We play panic football and make a couple more errors trying to get points and game over, red rover.

Any chance Nick called the Bunker hotline in those 2 mins?

IFR33K

Coach
We are trailing by 5 with 7 mins to go and Drown effects a perfectly legal tackle giving us possession.
No one at the ground, including the officials see anything wrong with the tackle and the Bunker watch review after review after review while the Roosters player is being treated and after 2 mins decide that Drown's tackle must have been dangerous and so he goes on report. Roosters get a simple penalty nearly in front and go out to a 7 point lead with less than 6 mins to play. Now we need to score twice to win and momentum is with the Roosters. We play panic football and make a couple more errors trying to get points and game over, red rover.

About as much chance as BA has of winning the comp at the eels.

eel01s

Bench
The situation was ridiculous. Bunker doesn't get involved but Roosters manufacture a situation to get a result. Did the player go off for HIA?

TheRam

Coach
They always looked better. We had some great individual tries but rarely stretched them when in the red zone. We look like chooks with head cut off when attack their line.
Not much fluency. Our defense is also very soft which is worrying. Capable of beating the best and losing to the worse suggests to me a lot of players are on decline and unable to get motivated for every game. It may not be physical decline but mental. Either way I am not convinced we will improve as season goes on. Our best hope is make the 8 and keep our fingers crossed all the luck goes our way

It is the consequence of a one dimensional power game. If that is all you have then after a season or so the players are mentally and physically busted. I've seen it all before through the decades from the 70's on and have posted numerous times on it before Hindy.

That is why I keep harping on, as you do about our dubious tactics and all our playmakers lacking the ability to use tactics to work over a strong defense. All 4 of our spine players are very talented individually, yet can't come up with the right plays or tactics to take advantage of a teams weaknesses. That is an indictment on both them and in particular the coaching team who after so many years all working together have not improved our strategies one little bit. The only improvement really in the spine players is the natural improvement you get with age, maturity, strength and experience. Actual strategy and putting smart plays on has seen no improvement at all and I would argue has actually regressed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Is that the same Adam o brien that’s made the semis twice in a row, coming off recent spoons under another coach?

asking for a friend

Yep, it’s the knights side O’Brien took over that didn’t actually get the spoon in 2019, but had 10 wins.

And the side O’Brien could only manage 11 wins in 2020 and 12 in 2021? For 2, 7th spot finishes…

And the knights side now bottom 4….

Gee that’s huge improvement under O’Brien since he took over…..#SuperCoach

Gronk

Staff member
The situation was ridiculous. Bunker doesn't get involved but Roosters manufacture a situation to get a result. Did the player go off for HIA?
Did the player who wobbled after contact not get taken off by the HIA doctor and soon after climbed above Perham to score ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I hope they do but these "should win" games scare me. Just like going into the Tigers game a few weeks back.
Looking at the ladder now, the should win games were against the Tigers, Dragons, Knights and Titans x 2. We won four of those. The two should lose games (Panthers and Storm away) we won both. Do we deserve credit or are their coaches to blame?

IFR33K

Coach
Yep, it’s the knights side O’Brien took over that didn’t actually get the spoon in 2019, but had 10 wins.

And the side O’Brien could only manage 11 wins in 2020 and 12 in 2021? For 2, 7th spot finishes…

And the knights side now bottom 4….

Gee that’s huge improvement under O’Brien since he took over…..#SuperCoach

So you agree then, he took over from a nrl coach with years of experience and he improved them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
All 4 of our spine players are very talented individually, yet can't come up with the right plays or tactics to take advantage of a teams weaknesses.
Right, because decision making isn't one of their strengths. A couple of them are great runners and a couple are technically very proficient and all four are hard workers. Only Gutherson is known for his decision making under pressure. I'm looking forward to Hodgson bringing more of that next year, but obviously his weakness is his proneness to injury. I'm keen to see how our tactics change just as they changed after we lost Norman, Ma'u and Edwards.

JokerEel

Coach
Did the player who wobbled after contact not get taken off by the HIA doctor and soon after climbed above Perham to score ?

NRL favouring teams.. No way..

The Tigers lost their winger for 15 because he got a poke in the eye..
Suaalii cops a head clash seen to wobble but is cleared ..

Let's also talk about consistency..

Sharks / Raiders a player is tackled without the ball in try scoring opportunity. Penalty only.

Our game it's a sin bin 🤷 when Lane got to the ball first anyway.

Angry_eel

First Grade

It could be that we may also become the devil we hate but at the moment I am at a loss to explain how a good tackle can become a dangerous one when it's against the Panthers and Roosters. The best teams in the competition - Storm, Panthers and Roosters are using tactics to get an advantage out of the NRL and it's hurting all other sides.