What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd11: Eels v Manly GAME DAY THREAD @ Commbank 20/5/22

It's common sense but. If it was 600k heaps of clubs would of been sniffing around. The fact nobody bothered they would of baulked at asking price. I dare say it was around 700k.
If it was 600k I think an offer from the Eels around 570k and he'd stay. And I reckon we probably got close to that.
Most likely we offer 450k earlier in season. They say no we will wait.
Dogs offer him 600k managersl comes back to us and we go up to 575k and say that's it.Mahoney is happy with that bit the Dogs then go up to 650-700k.
Manager then tells other clubs that are interested and they say no way are we matching or beating that.....
My recollection is that most people here thought 600 was verging on overs. And my memory is pretty good.

King-Gutho94

Coach
What does that say about the potato’s on channel Nein??? One of them coaches the NSW’s side. I can see us getting pumped this year. Freddie’s luck has run out.
Your right about luck the series Freddy lost in 2020 to the worst QLD team is almost equal to the 3 series he has won.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You can't honestly believe that every single article from various competing news sources was just repeating the same claim? The industry leaks like a sieve and journalists actually do have sources. The length of a contract is not something that they get wrong very often. Against that you've got one single article which may be a simple error. But apparently we're supposed to regard these two claims equally.
I explained how the contract duration could be reported differently - an option year is only a benefit to one party, which changes how they would view (and discuss) the contract.

As for regarding the two claims equally, yes we should. They are both unconfirmed rumours.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's common sense but. If it was 600k heaps of clubs would of been sniffing around. The fact nobody bothered they would of baulked at asking price. I dare say it was around 700k.
If it was 600k I think an offer from the Eels around 570k and he'd stay. And I reckon we probably got close to that.
Most likely we offer 450k earlier in season. They say no we will wait.
Dogs offer him 600k managersl comes back to us and we go up to 575k and say that's it.Mahoney is happy with that bit the Dogs then go up to 650-700k.
Manager then tells other clubs that are interested and they say no way are we matching or beating that.....
Yep, the one fact we agree on is that he’s going to Canterbury. If we also agree that they’re shit then logic says they need to pay more for players. Whatever is a reasonable amount for Reed Mahoney, if that was the best offer he got he would be taking it from a better club than the Bulldogs, whether Parramatta or some other club.

I explained how the contract duration could be reported differently - an option year is only a benefit to one party, which changes how they would view (and discuss) the contract.

As for regarding the two claims equally, yes we should. They are both unconfirmed rumours.
Well I heard it was for 5 million a year and that he has to dress up in a clown suit once a week for Gus. So there's a third equally valid claim.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yep, the one fact we agree on is that he’s going to Canterbury. If we also agree that they’re shit then logic says they need to pay more for players. Whatever is a reasonable amount for Reed Mahoney, if that was the best offer he got he would be taking it from a better club than the Bulldogs, whether Parramatta or some other club.
Canterbury are certainly shit now, but in the off season there was a bit of hope with JAC, Burton, Vaughn, TPG and to a lesser extent Dufty signing with them. They also had Kikau signed on for 23 so I’d say he was hopeful of a fairly decent side by the time he arrived.

I’m sure that was the topic of discussion over his Chinese dinner.

Last edited:
Canterbury are certainly shit now, but in the off season there was a bit of hope with JAC, Burton, Vaughn, TPG and to a lesser extent Dufty signing with them. They also had Kikau signed on for 23 so I’d say he was hopeful of a fairly decent side by the time he arrived.
Exactly. And Gus at the helm, selling the dream.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dunno if hope is a selling point though. I mean, every club hopes to not be shit each year.